'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Horse fencing- types? pros and cons please.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2012-04-29 9:40 PM
19 replies, 14736 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

acy
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2012-04-21 7:46 PM (#143267)
Subject: Horse fencing- types? pros and cons please.

Extreme Veteran

We're moving to Kentucky and will be putting up horse fence. probably about 5 or 6 acres to start. We have no climb w/ a 6" board on top now and I really like it, but know it won't be affordable once we move.

Right now the property has a very overgrazed pasture- about 20 acres in barbed wire.. we plan to put fencing up in a different area, and let the larger pasture rest then take the barbed wire down as we have time.

I've seen a lot of hi tensile fence in that area, but am a little concerned about it not being visable enough for the horses. we're considering that, or maybe some type of electric fence/rope, or ???

Interested in hearing opinions, pros and cons,etc.

thanks a lot!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2012-04-21 10:02 PM (#143278 - in reply to #143267)
Subject: RE: Horse fencing- types? pros and cons please.

Expert

Look at kencove.com on the internet.  They have several fence styles to consider.

I like the white coated   hi tensil

henrynva
Reg. Nov 2011
Posted 2012-04-22 7:31 AM (#143287 - in reply to #143267)

Regular

I would never use barbed wire as fencing as it is dangerous for horses. There are many types of braided poly-woven stranded fencing materials that are made to be electrified for cross fencing or even permanent perimeter fencing, if done correctly. This type of fencing can be easily installed to divide a pasture using fiber glass step-in posts. I use permanent woven wire perimeter fencing with a "hot" wire across the top so the horses won't lean over and use that wire to hook on the poly stranded to divide the pastures. Ultra Braid is one good brand that uses parachute cord with copper wire woven in.
henrynva
Reg. Nov 2011
Posted 2012-04-22 7:35 AM (#143288 - in reply to #143267)

Regular

Sorry, the brand of fencing I use is Electro Braid, not Ultra Braid. Put it up 10 years ago and forgot the name.
acy
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2012-04-22 7:49 AM (#143289 - in reply to #143267)

Extreme Veteran

No, of course I'm not using barbed wire! does the electro braid hold up well in the weather?
yeehaw
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2012-04-22 8:41 AM (#143292 - in reply to #143267)

Veteran

I use 4 strand hi-tensile fence and I electrify the top strand(insulate it of course), and I place red ribbons on it too alert the horses or humans to it being "on". After they get shocked a time or 2 you can just about bet they won't question any wire again. We sometimes run temporary single strand cheap electric fencing to keep them in a certain area for a short time and just place the flags on it and they won't touch it.
henrynva
Reg. Nov 2011
Posted 2012-04-22 9:16 AM (#143294 - in reply to #143267)

Regular

Electro Braid has a good website that includes fencing plans. Electro Braid has a very long guarantee, can't remember how long, and is easier to install than hi-tensile. I also have a long section of hi-tensile permanent perimeter fencing of 7 strands 6 inches apart with the second from bottom and top strands electrified. If the fencing is just strands of either hi-tensile or woven cord poly-type, horses will eat under/through it if a lower strand isn't electrified. The woven cord types come in white or other colors that horses easily see, nor have I had a horse run into hi-tensile fencing if it is 4 or more strands, ribbons for horses not use to it can help. Also go to the Dare Fencing site for great hi-tensile plans.
cutter99
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2012-04-22 6:50 PM (#143304 - in reply to #143267)

Extreme Veteran

I have six strand high tensile with two hot wires. My horses have been in it for 6 years and have never had a problem with it.
jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2012-04-22 9:11 PM (#143307 - in reply to #143267)

Elite Veteran

HorseGuard electric fencing. This stuff lasts a long time too. The sun and UV rays will bake anything else you buy from the local feed and tractor supply. I have used this for years and love it. I have all t-posts on the line and then wood or pipe posts in the corners and at the gate ends. Everything is high end quality.
jdzaharia
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2012-04-23 12:06 PM (#143320 - in reply to #143267)

Extreme Veteran

Another vote for ElectroBraid. http://www.electrobraid.com/ I have two pastures fenced with four strands of it with the top and third strands hot, and the other two grounded. Install it as per the manufacturer's recommendations and you will have a very good product that you should be able to install and forget.

I have a couple small areas fenced with some off-brand braided rope, and they are much more troublesome. I have to re-tension them a couple times a year.
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2012-04-23 1:10 PM (#143321 - in reply to #143267)

Elite Veteran

Another vote for Electro-Braid.

I have seen two deaths as a result from High Tensil. One issue was due to storm spooking the horse.... ran through fence wrapping wire around leg and severing to the bone.. Second was young horse getting caught in the fence from a hard zap and instead of fleeing away went into it and got tangled.

Normally if a horse goes through electro-braid they remain unscathed as it is more forgiving than other fence types. As with all fences, if it is not kept tight, it can be dangerous.

Several large breeders and small farmettes around me use electro-braid. It is fairly inexpensive compared to other fencing and very easy to install. Only weather issue I have seen is ice storms weighing down the strands. If a tree falls on it, it pops back up when debris is removed. Most are 4 strand for perimeter and two strand for interior cross fencing.

I still have some sections of 5 strand barb-wire that the horses have been in for 15 years with no problems, but it is electofied on the inside and horses are mature (no young stock). The majority of the fence is now in Sheep/Goat woven wire and hope to get the remaining 10 acres done in this type of fence next spring. This woven wire is less expensive than "horse" fence and has been safe. I raise sheep and rotate pastures between the two species.

ClaudiaIN
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2012-04-23 3:44 PM (#143322 - in reply to #143321)

Veteran

Another Electro-Braid user.  High Tensil scares me-- I've seen some nasty injuries.  

We have had trees fall on the fences and the electro braid pops right back up. Also- you can put the poles pretty far apart versus some other types of fencing.

We have not had any fence repairs since we switched to Electro braid several years ago.

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2012-04-24 2:40 PM (#143353 - in reply to #143267)

Expert

I have 3 wire high tensile.  It's mounted on fibreglas poles.  all wires are insulated so by varying the jumpers I can charge one, two or all strands.  In 16 years not a horse injury yet.  Of course a horse can kill himself on anything including a bucket. 

The secret is a good charger and training.  A horse will respect and keep away from a HOT fence.  A weak charge not so much.  Never put a new horse in a high tensile area in the dark or evening.  He needs daylight to learn the limits of the fence.  A small padock is more likely to injure a horse than a ten acre pasture fenced with high tensile.

sinful
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2012-04-25 5:59 PM (#143382 - in reply to #143267)

Extreme Veteran

After several years of electro-braid, (I started haveing to much trouble with it) I tore it all down and put up 4-bar continuous pipe fence.  I LOVE it!!  No more problems with electrical this & that.. Deer runing thru the fence, bla, bla, bla.  The Pipe is Permanent.  Its not welded together so if I wish to move it I can. I won't because I have 10 acres fenced & cross fenced.  Kinda spendy, but I don't have to worry about horses getting out anymore.  Big Plus!
siseley
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2012-04-26 4:12 PM (#143417 - in reply to #143267)

Extreme Veteran

We live in the high desert, so no moisture in the soil!Consequently, we must use a more permanent type of fence, as electric won't work well with out a ground. Soooo....it is all pipe fence, and is quite nice when we have to move it, as it just unbolts and moves in 10 ft or 20 ft sections with the gates always attached.Potable sections make a temp corral/?action=view¤t=triptoArizonaandtoButterfieldresort068.jpg" target="_blank">corrals at Butterfield, horses were corralled just steps away from the camp site

Edited by siseley 2012-04-26 4:15 PM
silversmith jean
Reg. Jan 2012
Posted 2012-04-27 6:50 PM (#143474 - in reply to #143382)

How do you deal with the hilly portions of your pasture?Jean
horsin around
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2012-04-28 8:53 AM (#143486 - in reply to #143267)

Extreme Veteran

I put some white poly tape around the house area and some down the line from the house.  I've had it for 15 years + and doubtful I would do it again.

It looks nice since I have white vinyl covered t posts with three strands.  It's visible to the horses and has been safe and keeps them in.  I've even made a round pen once with it and it worked well but I wouldn't use it for colts or a horse that's never used it before since the round pen wasn't electric.

Over the years I've had a problem with the tape starting to turn dark with mildew etc.  The biggest maintenace has been with replacing the insulators connected to the posts.  With time they crack and break.  Having to keep the grass from under the bottom line takes time and money for weed spray. Problems with deer going through it.  Had some trees come down on it during a bad wind storm and it was easy to fix.

I like the looks of it around the house but if I decided to replace some of the area away from the house, I think i'd replace it would the horse woven fencing with the small triangle like openings and put an electric poly or rope on top.  It would be more expensive but I would think it'd take very little maintenace which would be the goal and last for years.

We only have 7 acres but if I had 20 acres, for expense reasons I'd look strongly into some of the rope type electric fencing.  From what I've seen of them to look like they'd work better than the poly tape and still be visible and safe.

jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2012-04-29 12:22 AM (#143507 - in reply to #143267)

Elite Veteran

That is why I like the horseguard fencing. It is the tape kind. The wire lasts forever. I have had it over ten years now and it still looks new. ( had to look at my receipts of purchase) They use a stainless steel wire woven into the poly tape. It does not rust. Their insulators are not like the kind you get at your local feed store or tractor supply. These last a long time and are brown or green in color. They do have white as well. All of their fence stuff is top-notch. If you go the electric tape route. Look into them. All is easy installation too. I am a single woman and did a couple acres by myself.
silversmith jean
Reg. Jan 2012
Posted 2012-04-29 8:28 AM (#143516 - in reply to #143267)

horsin around- Do you know if it is possible to still get the white vinyl T post sleeves? I need to replace a few that cracked and have not been able to find them.ThanksJean
horsin around
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2012-04-29 9:40 PM (#143529 - in reply to #143267)

Extreme Veteran

Jean

Valley Vet Supply has them in their magazine for $4.95.  I googled T post sleeve covers and found some others there too.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)