'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Camping in the Big Horns?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2012-01-16 10:50 PM
17 replies, 10645 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

pooperscooper
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2012-01-05 12:08 PM (#139851)
Subject: Camping in the Big Horns?

Veteran

Would like to hear from those that have ridden and camped in the Big Horn Mountains. I would like to know about the Hunter trailhead and if there's any areas that you can dispersed camp in that has access to several days riding and close to a creek or water source for the horses and that a big trailer can get into. Thanks for any info. Not really wanting to go to Battle Park as I have heard that theres been alot of changes and some not so good there. 
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2012-01-05 5:20 PM (#139857 - in reply to #139851)
Subject: RE: Camping in the Big Horns?

Extreme Veteran

The Big Horns are one of my least favorite places to ride. Many because the trails have very little maintenance and are full of big rocks.

But, if you want to disperse camp, there are many places you can use. Along the road into Battle Park there are several nice camping sites with horse water close. Depending on when you are going these sites are used by the RV's regularly. You don't know if they will be taken or not. They have ease access, even with a big trailer. That also makes them popular for the RVer's. There are sites all over the Big Horns for disperse camping. I'd suggest using Google Earth to find them, and then call the ranger station and ask about them. Record the lat/lon of the sites you find so the ranger can give you info about them.
pooperscooper
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2012-01-08 1:25 PM (#139907 - in reply to #139851)

Veteran

I have heard how bad the trails at Battle Park are so I was wondering if maybe some of the other areas are like that too if they aren't used as much?
Julep
Reg. Jul 2011
Posted 2012-01-08 8:56 PM (#139912 - in reply to #139851)

Hunter Corral has a lenght limit on the trailer.  Our trailer is too long.  You also have to reserve the sites.  Don't wait too long because they fill up fast.  We have not been there but would like to ride out of there but just not possible.  You  can find out the info if you google and find the site to reserve.  We loved the Big Horns.  Yes it is Rocky but what trails in the mountains aren't?  
pooperscooper
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2012-01-09 4:58 PM (#139918 - in reply to #139851)

Veteran

Thanks for the info Julep.  I found some areas on the forest website for dispersed horse camping but they don't tell alot of info so hoping someone had ridden out of those places. I'll give them a call and hope I can talk to someone that actually rides instead of just working behind the desk!
Julep
Reg. Jul 2011
Posted 2012-01-10 7:14 PM (#139942 - in reply to #139851)

There is lady named Susann from GA Foxtrotters that rides there every year and they own property near the Big Horns.  I have used to have her email but don't.  She has a web site.  Might try googling her.  She gave me a lot of useful information.  We sold a horse to a couple that primitve camp around Burgess Junction but don't have a phone number. 
Julep
Reg. Jul 2011
Posted 2012-01-10 7:17 PM (#139943 - in reply to #139851)

Her name is Susan Shed and her website is www.gafoxtrotter.com.
aceliberty
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2012-01-10 10:25 PM (#139951 - in reply to #139857)

Extreme Veteran

We've camped at Burgess Junction 2 different times and loved it. We stayed at Bear Lodge. The sites are shaded among the pines. You have to either bring your own portable pen or picket. The riding is endless. We never followed trails, but rather just set out. We had water and electric at our sites. The "sewer" was a hole in a buried barrel, but maybe that's been improved. If you'd like more information, I can tell you a whole lot more.
pooperscooper
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2012-01-11 3:08 PM (#139966 - in reply to #139851)

Veteran

Yes tell me more about camping at Burgess Jct. Can a big trailer get in there? How are the roads from Sheridan to BJ? Is there room to set up an electric pen? I looked at their website but it doesn't give much info. Looks like lots of snowmobiling. What road is this on, wanting to look up the area on my topo. Any other info would be great. It says $15 a nite for e/w is that what they charged and any extra for the horses? Thanks for the info and your time.  
Julep
Reg. Jul 2011
Posted 2012-01-11 7:55 PM (#139975 - in reply to #139851)

Is there enough riding out of there for one to two weeks of riding?
aceliberty
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2012-01-11 8:23 PM (#139976 - in reply to #139966)

Extreme Veteran

Yes, big trailers can get in there. Ours is only a 2H GN, but the other 4 rigs were all 3 & 4H GN's. About the road to Sheridan~I wouldn't consider it too bad of a climb. We only drove down both years, as we had camped down at Ten Sleep, WY each trip before heading up to B.J. If you have the time, it's a great place to camp 2 or 3 days prior. We camped at Ten Broek Campground where the owners (Daryl & Bonnie) loaded us all up in their large stock trailer and drove us up into the Big Horns. We chipped in for gas, but Daryl just parked up in the mts, and then lead us out. It was an easy walk into the cute little town of Ten Sleep where we visited the saloon, ice cream parlor, eateries and shops. Take a ride up above the town, and it's like riding on the moon~high, dry but a beautiful vista of the city which sits upon an artesian well.

Link to a pic gallery. Mouse over pic is a short description of each~

http://people.consolidated.net/rrothrock/Ten%20Sleep%2C%20WY%20%20Gallery.html

We then drove up rte. 14 from Greybull up to B.J. A stop at Shell Falls is a must. The drive itself is gorgeous and an easy drive.

I think a lot of Bear Lodge's busy season is winter sports, but there were plenty of others camping during late July/Aug when we were there. Bear Lodge is located at the junction of 14A & 14. You DON'T want to pull your rig on 14A, as it's a very steep grade. Our fees were $12.50/night for W/E. Those who needed full hook-ups paid $18.50. No extra for horses. One couple brought their own panels to make a pen whereas we other 5 rigs used picket lines. You need certified weed-free hay which we ordered ahead of time and had delivered right to our sites. Bring your own groceries as the prices at the lodge's little convenience store were outrageous, but maybe that's better now. I snapped a pic of pkg of a 1 lb. package of bologna with an expiration date marked 7/18/05. I took the pic on Aug. 4 with a hefty price tag $8.39!!! W/o picture proof, who'd believe it?

You ride right out of camp into the forest. The riding is endless. You can ride the wide open spaces hardly ever crossing fences. You can ride the Tongue River. Twin Buttes is a pretty ride. You ride upon moose often and coming upon a lone shepherd carrying a lost sheep on his horse was like a scene out of "Brokeback Mountain". That encounter actually got most of our horses a bit nervous~whether it was the site or the smell. But the lone little camper parked amidst the huge herd of sheep down in the valley was breathtaking, too.

A hike down Porcupine Falls is a MUST. We drove there; no horses allowed down that trail~strictly hiking. I can list lots more, but don't want to bombard this forum. Let me know if you want more info!

Edited by aceliberty 2012-01-11 8:27 PM
pooperscooper
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2012-01-12 1:08 PM (#139996 - in reply to #139851)

Veteran

Aceliberty, Thanks so much for all the info. I don't think anybody is minding that you are posting. I'm sure most everyone likes to read and find info and new places to ride. How far in advance do you think we would need to make resv if we decide to go there? I found a couple of dispersed areas not far from it also that might be worth checking into for a different place to ride if we stay awhile. Gee can't believe they are selling outdated bologna and it's that expensive! We try to always stock up on everything before getting too far away from the bigger towns. I know they have to make a living but geesh! Do you have any pictures from the riding there?
pooperscooper
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2012-01-12 1:31 PM (#139997 - in reply to #139851)

Veteran

Where did you find the certified hay?

aceliberty
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2012-01-14 12:45 PM (#140025 - in reply to #139997)

Extreme Veteran

I used online resources. Also, you can call the forest ranger in that area for help. He/she could probably give you a private grower like we used. Here are some sites I checked with our first trip till my friend found a private grower who hauled the hay right to our camping spots.

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2012-01-15 8:25 PM (#140052 - in reply to #139851)

Expert

Enjoying all the details, m'self!
aceliberty
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2012-01-15 10:31 PM (#140056 - in reply to #140052)

Extreme Veteran

Ten Sleep was a great way to start off our WY riding. The campground owners trailered us up into the Big Horns, usually a little over an hours drive. Daryl just drove up and parked~no trailhead to bother with. So exciting.

*high desert overlooking Ten Sleep

*riding back to Ten Sleep camp after riding the high desert

*shows part of our camp site at Bear Lodge, Burgess Junction and our friends' pen for their mules

*my Arab on his picket line

*riding the Big Horns from Bear Lodge camp up at B.J.

*Plenty of moose.

*interesting watering hole on the way to Garden of the Gods from Bear Lodge camp~just a pipe sticking

up from the ground with running water. The horses loved it, and each one drank w/o hesitation.

*me on top of a huge rock formation. Horses were tied to trees nearby.

I have tons more, but don't want to hog up too much space. Believe me, it is truly God's Paradise and

with tons of riding.

pooperscooper
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2012-01-16 7:11 PM (#140078 - in reply to #139851)

Veteran

Beautiful pictures. Okay seeing the moose has me definitely wanting to go there next summer. Again thanks for all the info and your time.
aceliberty
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2012-01-16 10:50 PM (#140086 - in reply to #140078)

Extreme Veteran

Leaving for FL for a week of sun. Will try to remember to scan a pic of Porcupine Falls that we hiked down to on foot. It's picture postcard and a "must see".
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)