'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Will This Battery Fit my Needs?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2012-03-25 12:17 PM
4 replies, 4285 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

blackcows
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2012-03-24 6:35 AM (#142443)
Subject: Will This Battery Fit my Needs?

Extreme Veteran

Currently I have two batteries on my trailer that don't work, they haven't taken a charge for well over a year despite adding water, etc.  They are 4 years old so most probably past their useful life.

I am planning on removing both and replacing with a single battery, my need for the battery is to run the trailer interior lights in the am for an hour or two until the sun comes up and also to run the water pump during the day (toliet only) and radio most of the day while we are at day shows.

I have read lots an I know there are better and more expensive options that this battery but I think it will be enough for what I need:

http://www.sears.com/diehard-marine-deep-cycle-rv-battery-group-size-24m/p-02827494000P

Any opinions?  Should this work for my needs?

Mike

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gonzo1066
Reg. Oct 2010
Posted 2012-03-24 2:52 PM (#142448 - in reply to #142443)
Subject: RE: Will This Battery Fit my Needs?

Veteran

I would recommend staying with two batteries or upgrade to a group 31.   The more battery you have the longer you will have power without recharging.  Typically ( in my experience) a deep cycle battery will last about 2 years in camper-trailer use.  More if it is maintained properly, less if it is neglected.
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2012-03-24 9:04 PM (#142456 - in reply to #142443)

Expert

I will say yes this battery will fit your needs for a week-end. Remember to charge it when you get home. Use an automatic charger to avoid over charging. Leaving the battery discharged seems to permanently weaken a battery in my experience. You might check with Sam's club for a deep cycle battery. They have a very long non prorated warranty period for a good price. Compare the AH capacities (I bought mine there)

Edited by hosspuller 2012-03-24 9:05 PM
blackcows
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2012-03-25 5:42 AM (#142461 - in reply to #142456)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by hosspuller on 2012-03-24 9:04 PM

I will say yes this battery will fit your needs for a week-end. Remember to charge it when you get home. Use an automatic charger to avoid over charging. Leaving the battery discharged seems to permanently weaken a battery in my experience. You might check with Sam's club for a deep cycle battery. They have a very long non prorated warranty period for a good price. Compare the AH capacities (I bought mine there)

What is the AH capacity?

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2012-03-25 12:17 PM (#142467 - in reply to #142461)

Expert

Originally written by blackcows on 2012-03-25 2:42 AM

Originally written by hosspuller on 2012-03-24 9:04 PM

What is the AH capacity?

AH is short for Ampere Hour.  How many amperes delivered for X hours. 

From Wikipedia:

Ampere-hours (A·h) is a measure of electrical charge that a battery can deliver. This quantity is one indicator of the total amount of charge that a battery is able to store and deliver at its rated voltage. Its value is the product of the discharge-current (in amperes), multiplied by the duration (in hours) for which this discharge-current can be sustained by the battery. Generally, this value (or rating) varies widely with the duration of the discharge period (see: Peukert's Law), therefore the value is typically only meaningful when the duration is specified. This rating is rarely stated for automotive batteries, except in Europe where it is required by law.

Cold cranking amperes (CCA) is the amount of current a battery can provide at 0 °F (-18 °C). The rating is defined as the current a lead-acid battery at that temperature can deliver for 30 seconds and maintain at least 1.2 volts per cell (7.2 volts for a 12-volt battery). It is a more demanding test than those at higher temperatures.

Now I know why it's been so hard to find the AH capacity of batteries.

I would compare the CCA if the AH isn't available.  It'll be a relative measure between two batteries as long as they are the same type.  Deep cycle, voltage,  etc.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)