'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
project completed

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2012-04-11 9:50 AM
12 replies, 6104 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2012-04-09 9:00 AM (#142915)
Subject: project completed

Expert

The shower project has been completed but the problem is now the new projects it has spawned. The trailer orginally had commercial type carpeting that was very hard to clean up and since I didn't want to lift the cupboards( space is small) we put down peel and stick tile flooring ( it was a job since there was a lot of angles to cut and the pattern to match) and that worked out pretty good for the past 6 yrs or so. But now I started thinking about replacing that and since a few tiles were puckering up I went ahead and scraped them off without first checking to see if that tile is still available and its not. So now I have to either buy 4 tiles and won't match and just out them in or scrape the rest of the tile off and either A replace with carpeting that I can lift and shake out or B more tiles. Still debating it. Husband is getting rather concerned....
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
siseley
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2012-04-09 9:35 AM (#142916 - in reply to #142915)
Subject: RE: project completed

Extreme Veteran

Teee Heee!!Isn't that how it always is? I took out the floor in the tack room, (mid-tack), and put in a vynil strip type foor. I forgot that aluminum will flex a bit, and sure enough, it did. On the first trip to Mojave Desert, the strips were up on the ends. I was able to just put some very small "tec" screws on the lifted ends, and we were good. Now, I want to put some roll vynil in, and am worried it will lift and then the curl will crack.
TPenning
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2012-04-09 8:07 PM (#142940 - in reply to #142915)

Veteran

sounds like you're thinking a throw rug, not carpet, but I still had to shudder at the thought.  Uggh.  Carpet. I hate mine and after 3 summers of hating it I finally ripped it out this weekend.  Putting in laminate instead, and crossing my fingers that it's not humid enough here to affect it, cause it's going in no matter what now that the carpet is gone!  Had vinyl flooring (linoleum) in the last trailer, the kind you buy on a roll.  Had not trouble at all with it curling, but we put down plywood first and glued to to that, not to the metal.  Maybe that's the ticket?  Don't know if you have the space, though.
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2012-04-10 5:15 AM (#142953 - in reply to #142915)

Expert

I was thinking about carpet. Thought it might be nicer to the feet so what was the problem?
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2012-04-10 6:02 AM (#142954 - in reply to #142915)

Expert

Carpeting gets really ugly during a wet time. Putting throw rugs or runners over it is about the only way to keep it clean. Bare feet with mud squishing between your toes, is not a pleasant experience for an indoor event.

"Pergo" flooring is almost indestructible and can be installed using PL polyurethane construction adhesive. It is durable in traffic areas and is weather proof as well. Adding a throw rug over it, would provide the affect you might want without the permanent hassles.

TPenning
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2012-04-10 7:14 AM (#142959 - in reply to #142915)

Veteran

Every time you step inside your trailer with shoes on, you leave dirt footprints behind on the carpet.  And hay, and straw and manure.  You can't clean it unless you have a vacuum with you, and that means if anyone stepped into something terrible on day one of the horse show, you all have to walk through it for the weekend.  It takes forever to dry, so it's always damp and muddy.  I put a rubber backed mat inside the door and outside the door to help keep the dirt down, and it still doesn't help much.
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2012-04-10 8:29 AM (#142962 - in reply to #142915)

Expert

my idea was to get a piece of carpeting and cut it to fit..in two sections..then it can be lifted shaken out and put back in. I do have a small vaccum with me. I had throw rugs but found they either slipped around or had to be readjusted. I might take a look at Gards suggestions. I can glue the flooring down. For me though the space is small and lots of angles so the stuff would need to be cut and fitted around the table base and cupboards. that takes alot of time and skill. I have time but skill?????
Linda Y
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2012-04-10 11:03 AM (#142966 - in reply to #142915)

Extreme Veteran

I got some of that padded roll vinyl that doesn't have to be glued down. It looks like wood. Cleans really easy, hasn't moved at all and if I want to take it out it won't be a big deal. Recently, I acquired a roll of the same type vinyl in a tile pattern that I like better. Eventually, I am pulling the other floor and replacing it. AND it was really cheap. I have a small LQ area...4 foot shortwall...and it was about $30 for a scrap of vinyl.Oh, and if you have a small area, make a template from newspaper, or brown wrapping paper for a vinyl floor.

Edited by Linda Y 2012-04-10 11:05 AM
Zipitude
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2012-04-10 11:31 AM (#142967 - in reply to #142962)

Veteran

I have carpet in my trailer, cut into two pieces, and everyone else is correct. I hate it. It get dirty to quickly, and even with it in two pieces, it's still a pain to deal with. When I did mine, I had just put new carpet in the house, so I used the remnants left over from that. I will be replacing it this spring or summer with a laminate, or I may have to look into the padded roll vinyl that Linda mentioned.
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2012-04-10 12:51 PM (#142972 - in reply to #142915)

Expert

thanks for the heads up on the carpet. I will look into the rolled vinyl...sounds like just the thing....
Summerset93
Reg. Aug 2010
Posted 2012-04-10 8:08 PM (#142985 - in reply to #142915)

I'm going against the grain here and suggest you DO consider carpet.  I bought a used 4 Star a year ago and have slowly been finishing the inside to a simple weekender.  It came with the "standard" indoor/outdoor carpent on floor, bulkhead wall and gooseneck floor.  I first thought that would be fine, except I realized how COLD that darn floor was when I was camping in the winter months (and I'm in a southern state).

I mentioned it to a friend, who had just installed a high quality (stainmaster) carpet in her home.  She gave me a 2 foot wide roll of remnant that was about 20 feet long.  I have a 4 foot short wall/9 foot long wall (with cabients all along the long wall), so I had to cut 3 sections from the remnant and lay them side by side.  I butted the first piece up tight against the bulkhead wall, and cut the last piece at an angle to follow the horse compartment wall.  The carpet does not shift at all.  Now the floor is warm, no matter how cold outside. 

I have used this carpet for about a year and it still looks great. If I get a bit of a mess on one section, I just wait for it to dry and use a rechargable mini-vac to clean it up.  Or I can take any one section  (or all 3 sections) out and take them to a car wash and pressure wash them if it's really bad then just let hang to dry and reinstall.  I takes just a minute to pull up all 3 sections.  

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2012-04-11 8:31 AM (#143004 - in reply to #142915)

Expert

That is what I was thinking off....plus I show horses and we don't do mud. I also have the standard indoor/outdoor carpet in the trailer and that is what we covered up with the tiles and it worked for quite while too. I have a few weeks yet before our first show so I will give it some more thought. Perhaps I can finally complete this project.
Phoresic
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2012-04-11 9:50 AM (#143010 - in reply to #142915)

Extreme Veteran

The carpet that came in the dressing room of my trailer held up very well. It was really quite amazing how well. The people who had bought it new and from whom I bought it were rodeo people. So, I'm not sure that carpet is a bad way to go. I decided, though, to replace the carpet with neutral color vinyl flooring, and then use a throw rug that match the brighter color I use for the interior. Since I tend to prefer darker, duller colors and am using a bright color for the interior, I can change it out if I get tired of it.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)