'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Hungry Horse campground/VA

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2013-02-04 12:51 AM
6 replies, 6596 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

ILdonkgal
Reg. Nov 2012
Posted 2012-12-05 8:56 AM (#148722)
Subject: Hungry Horse campground/VA

I was wondering if anybody who has camped here can tell me if there is enough riding out of camp for a week's stay? (riding approx. 4 or 5 hrs. a day) Also, do you have to take long "out and back" rides, or can you make loops?  Lastly, are you far enough out in the boonies that you pretty much have to do all your own cooking, or are there eating establishments within 15-20 min. drive?  TIA for any feedback!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
ghbb41
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2012-12-05 11:03 AM (#148725 - in reply to #148722)
Subject: RE: Hungry Horse campground/VA

Veteran

There are enough trails for a week, there are loops, long rides, short rides and more. The New River Trail is about a 30 minute haul from there and is a beautiful senic old railroad bed along the river. You can google and see the trail on New River and you can see many the trails at hungry horse by Va forestry services.  They are at least a 30 minute drive from I-81 where there is a Denny's, Wendy's, and McDonalds. another 10 minutes from there is about anything you would want to eat at Wytheville. There is another horse camp just down the road from Hungry horse, Iron Mountain horse camp, they have a website too,
ILdonkgal
Reg. Nov 2012
Posted 2012-12-05 12:45 PM (#148730 - in reply to #148722)

Thanks for the info! Unless HH rents stock trailers, we probably wouldn't be able to haul to other trailheads (friends who travel with us aren't wild about moving their LQ trailer once it's set up for the week). Do you have an opinion on which campground in this area (HH, RockyHollow, Iron Mt., etc.) gives you access to the best riding?
D sq
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2012-12-05 2:06 PM (#148731 - in reply to #148722)

Regular

I like to go to Rocky Hollow. The trail views are much better. You can see across the mountain tops from the scales
BIG C
Reg. Dec 2012
Posted 2012-12-10 2:30 PM (#148829 - in reply to #148722)

New User

<P align=left><FONT size=1 face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, Serif">we were at rockey hollow in june, didn't like camp but loved the riding, so we go back for 2 weeks in aug, while we were there in june we found a Feb horse camp called fox creek.  If you can camp primative and got your gold card only cost half price 2.50 a night. i been all over and this is one of my favorite places.  You will see the wild ponies here and long horn cattle.  Nice views on top.  The azaleaus and rodedendruns were blooming when we were there in June.  Blueberries were ripe in august. Oh yeah got to see 2 big bear.  Nice trip.</FONT></P>
ghbb41
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2012-12-12 10:58 AM (#148852 - in reply to #148722)

Veteran

Rocky Hollow is in a different area. Rocky Hollow is at the Mount Rogers recreational area. High Country horse camp is there also. There is a great web site for Mount Rogers. Hungry horse and Iron Mt are about 5 miles apart. Both are well run and  the host will give you plenty of trail options. Fox Creek is also the Mt. Rogers rec. area. It is primative and the blue toliets often need attention. I have been to all these places. I do not go to Fox Creek as the other places are so much better. Hussey Mountain is another option. run by the foresty service of va.

EmileChavez
Reg. Feb 2013
Posted 2013-02-04 12:51 AM (#149692 - in reply to #148722)

New User

I like to go to Rocky Hollow. The trail views are much better. _________________Find enjoymnet and interest in Tapout XT Fitness DVD and laugh with them.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)