'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
LP Refrigerator

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2013-10-23 11:36 AM
9 replies, 7350 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

poshponies
Reg. Mar 2013
Posted 2013-05-16 6:51 PM (#152071)
Subject: LP Refrigerator

Regular

My LQ has a 4 cu. ft. propane/electric RV refrigerator which in the 13 years I've owned my trailer the fridge has seen little use - but does work just fine. My problem lately is I smell propane inside if the fridge is running and the LQ door is closed, like overnight whether getting ready for a trip and pre-starting the fridge or actually on the campout. There is always a window open about 4 inches (has a MaxxAir vent) and the bathroom vent is also always open (another MaxxAir vent).

The local trailer service shop says there is nothing wrong with the fridge and they find no leaks and couldn't smell anything but do not have the 'pressure' lines for some kind of test. My friends do smell the propane (rotten egg smell). Is that smell normal, dangerous, or don't worry about it? My CO alarm down by the floor never sets off but then that may be defective. Any input would be welcome.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2013-05-16 7:15 PM (#152072 - in reply to #152071)
Subject: RE: LP Refrigerator

Extreme Veteran

You should not be smelling the propane at all when your fridge is running on propane. You especially should not get a build up of propane smell overnight/after long periods of the LQ being closed up. I would have another service center look at it. I would also replace your floor gas monitor. Better to be safe than dead ;) I'm sure someone with more technical info will chime in but it's definitely something to be concerned about.
Saddleup
Reg. Apr 2012
Posted 2013-05-16 7:17 PM (#152073 - in reply to #152071)

Regular

don't take a chance with it if you smell propane...  go to your local natural  gas company,or utilities company, someone with a gas sniffer unit  They will be able to detect any gas leaks with their eqpt. PLEASE do not take a chance and rely on you units gas detector...  too many people die each year from being poisoned by gases. If your smell propane... then there is definitely a leak somewhere..

poshponies
Reg. Mar 2013
Posted 2013-05-16 7:26 PM (#152075 - in reply to #152071)

Regular

Thank you so much for the input. I will definitely find someone who can locate the leak...and then have my regular guy replace the CO monitor.

On my last campout my dog got sick - vomiting, never happened before. She slept on the floor in the LQ! Now I know what happened to her!!! Bad dog mommy.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2013-05-16 10:42 PM (#152081 - in reply to #152071)

Expert

Changing the sensor is a very easy DIY project, that can save you almost half of a professional installation cost. They can be purchased on line from many sources.

I ditto all of your responses. Have the leak detected and repaired by a professional, and replace the sensor.

poshponies
Reg. Mar 2013
Posted 2013-05-17 4:40 PM (#152099 - in reply to #152071)

Regular

Thanks to everyone for their responses; yes, the smell of propane is not a good thing. Took the trailer into a repair service this morning for a pressure test and they found three LP leaks underneath where the pipe lines formed an "L." The repair man said probably due to the age of the system. Anyway all the piping will have to be replaced along with the sensor. Not an inexpensive job but considering the consequences it is cheap in comparison.

Edited by poshponies 2013-05-17 4:42 PM
chicory
Reg. Sep 2013
Posted 2013-10-22 6:22 PM (#155478 - in reply to #152071)

I'm sorry and I know this is an old thread...but...if you have a propane leak why would the CO monitor go off? Propane is not CO, is it? With CO the risk is dying of asphyxiation with propane the risk is, well, blowing up.Also, that smell is added to propane so that you will recognize that there is a leak. Propane does not naturally smell like rotten eggs, as I recall, right? CO is naturally odorless which is one of the reasons it is so dangerous but with that said, I've never heard of anything that could release CO having any addition of odor so that it would be detected.Just want clarification since if I don't know what the CO monitor is supposed to be doing it's hard to be sure it's doing it.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2013-10-22 11:04 PM (#155483 - in reply to #155478)

Expert

If you had an incomplete combustion of a propane gas supply, from any kind of open flame heating appliance, CO would be produced. Without a detector it could be impossible to know if you were being harmed by the unburnt gasses until it was too late.

Here's a good article that better describes the CO problems:

http://chemistry.about.com/od/howthingswork/a/codetectors.htm

poshponies
Reg. Mar 2013
Posted 2013-10-23 8:13 AM (#155487 - in reply to #155478)

Regular

The CO should have gone off but it was old and needed replacing. Propane is heavier than air and will accumulate on the floor--the reason the monitor isn't higher on a wall. Anyway, after the pipes were replaced - no more smell, new CO detector, dog didn't get sick, and I figured out what was wrong with my fridge...the burner openings had closed off with rust...scrape with a wire brush and skinny screwdriver and everything is good as new.
chicory
Reg. Sep 2013
Posted 2013-10-23 11:36 AM (#155492 - in reply to #152071)

Great that you got it worked out and thank you for the update.Julie
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World