'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Need help with wiring diagram-colors for a diamond D

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2013-11-30 12:03 PM
7 replies, 8524 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

whisper237
Reg. Jan 2010
Posted 2013-11-28 9:16 PM (#156023)
Subject: Need help with wiring diagram-colors for a diamond D

On my diamond d trailer the trailer wiring cord seems to be missing a color wire so I need some help.I have yellow, red, black, brown, green, blue but no white. I have 7 blade on the truck and trailer currently but when I look at the diagrams on line I cannot find one that works with the colors I have. My trailer is a Diamond D and on their wiring color chart I'm missing the white. So I'm so confused. Do I use the yellow as the white? Thanks for the help.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Squirrel Cruncher
Reg. Nov 2013
Posted 2013-11-29 5:10 AM (#156026 - in reply to #156023)
Subject: RE: Need help with wiring diagram-colors for a diamond D

www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx should get you a general wiring diagram.  There was no white wire on the trailer I just finished.  The trailer I just finished used the black wire for the ground (instead of B+ as indicated on etrailer)and the red wire was Battery +, (12 volt) in the trailer side connector.  That doesn't mean that is how they wired your trailer.  Compare the wire placement  on the trailer 7 way connector to the corresponding terminal on the vehicle.  That should tell you what each wire is responsible for doing as long as vehicle connector was a factory install.   
justgurn
Reg. Oct 2010
Posted 2013-11-29 8:29 AM (#156029 - in reply to #156023)

Veteran

whisper237, Wiring by color will make you crazy and frozen in this weather. A couple tools that will make your trailer wiring experiance easier is a multimeter and a test light. First I would check see if another color was subsituted for the ground. Set the meter to measure ohms clip one probe to the frame of the trailer and test the connections with the other. If you get a reading, then you identified the ground. If not then you likely don't have one. With the trailer connector opened up look at the cable and see if has been cut off and not used. You will have to check the truck plug in this process to. Words on caution to perform the ohms test the power has to be off and it is easy to touch two ciruits with the test light. Jim
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2013-11-29 3:18 PM (#156035 - in reply to #156023)

Expert

OP:  Justgum has given you very sound advice.  The trailer builders do not have a wiring color standard.  Seems it depends on the person doing the wiring more than anything else.  My SOP is identify the ground, then use a 12 volt battery to identify each wire's function on the trailer.  Keeps me from getting cold/hot and mad.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2013-11-29 3:53 PM (#156036 - in reply to #156023)

Expert

Any time I need to ring out the wiring of a trailer with unknown circuits, I use a common automotive battery charger. Clipping the positive lead to a small nail and the negative lead to a trailer grounding point, it is easy to energise each individual circuit within the plug and determine which is which. When you come to the trailer's ground wire, it will cause a short to the charger which is protected by its internal circuitry, and doesn't cause any damage. It's an easy matter to go round the plug, eliminating each wire as its function is determined. This eliminates blowing the towing vehicle's fuses, and having to physically attach any wiring to the tow vehicle during the testing.

As was stated, many trailers do not match a colour coding of the automotive builders.

By identifying each lead by function and placing it properly within the plug, you can standardise your trailer to match the common seven pin plug wiring found on most trucks.

justgurn
Reg. Oct 2010
Posted 2013-11-29 6:00 PM (#156038 - in reply to #156036)

Veteran

I heard of people troubleshooting with a charger and watching for smoke.Not a practice I use. But a charger would a great way to power a circuit. The charger is it a newer model?
Originally written by gard on 2013-11-29 3:53 PM

Any time I need to ring out the wiring of a trailer with unknown circuits, I use a common automotive battery charger. Clipping the positive lead to a small nail and the negative lead to a trailer grounding point, it is easy to energise each individual circuit within the plug and determine which is which. When you come to the trailer's ground wire, it will cause a short to the charger which is protected by its internal circuitry, and doesn't cause any damage. It's an easy matter to go round the plug, eliminating each wire as its function is determined. This eliminates blowing the towing vehicle's fuses, and having to physically attach any wiring to the tow vehicle during the testing.

As was stated, many trailers do not match a colour coding of the automotive builders.

By identifying each lead by function and placing it properly within the plug, you can standardise your trailer to match the common seven pin plug wiring found on most trucks.

justgurn
Reg. Oct 2010
Posted 2013-11-29 6:09 PM (#156040 - in reply to #156035)

Veteran

Thanks
Originally written by hosspuller on 2013-11-29 3:18 PM

OP:  Justgum has given you very sound advice.  The trailer builders do not have a wiring color standard.  Seems it depends on the person doing the wiring more than anything else.  My SOP is identify the ground, then use a 12 volt battery to identify each wire's function on the trailer.  Keeps me from getting cold/hot and mad.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2013-11-30 12:03 PM (#156052 - in reply to #156023)

Expert

I heard of people troubleshooting with a charger and watching for smoke.Not a practice I use.

Most battery chargers have internal circuitry that will protect itself from reverse polarity and direct shorts. This would prevent the user from "looking for smoke".

Researching a circuit function, is quite different than trouble shooting and searching for a short or open lead.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)