'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Shadow Horse Trailers

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2014-06-16 1:00 AM
9 replies, 9006 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

blackhorse 1
Reg. Mar 2014
Posted 2014-03-13 11:45 AM (#158013)
Subject: Shadow Horse Trailers

New User

In the endless search (2 years now) for a different trailer I keep seeing them but have not had much information about them. Can anyone tell me the good, the bad, and the ugly on them. They look like a pretty nice trailer but would like to know form those who have them.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2014-03-13 12:26 PM (#158014 - in reply to #158013)
Subject: RE: Shadow Horse Trailers

Extreme Veteran

I do not have one, but I looked one over at a horse show and thought it looked like a really good trailer for the money. The owner was very pleased with it.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2014-03-13 7:33 PM (#158021 - in reply to #158013)

Expert

Friend just bought a new Shadow LQ trailer. Put it in service last Thursday morning, Pouring rain Thursday night and all day Friday, had a bad roof leak around the bathroom vent (caulking man seems to have missed the side he couldn't see/reach..!!) and the water heater wouldn't switch over from gas to electric, I'm not quite sure how that works.... New trailer on it's maiden voyage... Pouring rain and 36 degrees! Family seems to like the trailer quite well other than these issues.

This trailer also didn't have any roof vents in the horse area, hadn't seen that before, there's usually at least one per horse but this trailer has none.

Be sure to check everything over really good no matter what brand you buy, they all seem to have a little something wrong with them straight out the factory door. This trailer was special ordered so it's not like it had been sitting on a dealer lot for months/years...

china doll
Reg. Jul 2012
Posted 2014-03-15 7:26 AM (#158050 - in reply to #158013)

Regular

I saw some in Florida where they are made. I was not impressed with the LQ. seemed entry level. Didn't pay much attention to anything else since it seemed like a big down grade from my used Sundowner.
roper1
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2014-03-18 11:50 AM (#158141 - in reply to #158013)

My wife and I have a 2006 6 horse with double slides and use it virtually every weekend and have had no trouble at all with this trailer. We really like it.
BlazingCreekBar
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2014-03-19 6:33 AM (#158147 - in reply to #158013)

Extreme Veteran

We have a 2011 BP Shadow I was just looking at the latest BP models and noticed that shadow has made many improvements to area's that I had thought they shouldThey changed out the fragile window system with larger drops all aroundThe newer windows are also a better grade with an improved hinge system. May stop paint chipping off the black hinges.They have changed over to a new horse interior material that seems to be a plastic but tougher. basically covering up the aluminum interior walls that get scratched.The front couple hitch has been upgraded.Still using Goodyear tiresDouble tie off hooks both sides was a nice additionI am not a fan of the thin coating of paint on any of the Manufacturers lines.I also would like a more flexible plug wire to tow vehicle. Northern climates make a cheaper material hard to work with.I am not a fan of small safety hooks on cables either. New trucks have changed their dimensions for the safety hook area. Cables are not removable unless you cut them.All in all with all the trailer manufactures reducing costs I have to say I like the newer released BP shadows.We were not fans of their LQs as I agree they lack luster compared to other manufactures.However for an all aluminum BP Shadow puts out a decent product for the price.Good luck
blackhorse 1
Reg. Mar 2014
Posted 2014-03-19 3:26 PM (#158154 - in reply to #158013)

New User

Thank you all so much for your input. Looking for a different trailer is so hard when you try to consider the old vs. new ~ have the different mfgs. imporved or cheapened up areas... you all know. It is becoming soooooo frustrating. Thank you again.
ROCKINH47
Reg. Mar 2014
Posted 2014-03-22 10:11 PM (#158217 - in reply to #158013)

New User

I looked at Shadow at Equinne Affaire in 2012. I was impressed then. Did some reasearch and bought a new one, 3 horse 8.5 SW LQ. Living Quarter builders use built for RV internals for plumbing and heating, cooking ect and nobody makes their own, they all use purchased parts for this for the most part. So the quality of the trailer is based on what they actually do build which is the trailer part, many build their own Cabinets for the LQ, Shadow does. Pretty good info on the Shadow website for this. I work in Fabrication, with aluminum, a lot for areospace. Shadow uses well designed materials, well designed componats, and well thought out framing and floor plans. I looked at their welds, very good. Lots of aerospace welding in Florida. I bought it because it is well constructed and the most "bang for the buck." You dont see a lot of used ones around but when you do, they are not a lot cheaper than new so they hold their value. Have only towed it about 800 miles so far but it was flawless, pulls easy, tracks very well. It may be entry level living quarters on the lower and mid level models, but was seen favorably by one on this thread that pulls a 4star with a new Dodge 3500. Thats top of the line stuff and could be close to $150K.
gbl
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2014-05-09 2:16 PM (#158967 - in reply to #158013)

I have a two horse, slant load BP purchased about a year ago.  We bought the 7.5' high one and it's too tall for our needs, but you could get some big horses in there!  If I did it again we'd buy the 7' tall version.  It's truly an all aluminum trailer and is pretty lite at 2500#.  Only the front hitch, the axles and a plate attaching the axles to the aluminum frame are steel.  Drop down windows are ok, not like the most expensive windows, but good.  The latches holding the doors open are in the same category.  It has a light in the front tack room and the horse area.  It has a front and rear tack.  I'm not at home but it looks exactly like this: http://www.shadowtrailer.com/trailer/53169.aspx 

Complaints are as follows:

1.  It sits up high and the horses have to step up a bit higher than normal to get on it. 

2.  We must keep a little step ladder in the tack room to tie the horses in.

3.  I replaced the screw jack with one that will retract a bit more as it would scrap over really, really big dips/bumps.

4.  Had to have the tires balanced....but I have to do this on every new trailer as they never balance the tires.  Why don't they do that?

It was a very good price.  No complaints so far.  It already has more than 8000 miles on it with a couple of cross country trips from GA to TX and then GA to ID as well as all the short rides we do around here.  We've actually had someone who wanted to buy it from us for about the same price we got it for.  Cleans up nice and still looks new.  I know nothing about their GN's.

squeek33
Reg. Jan 2011
Posted 2014-06-16 1:00 AM (#159491 - in reply to #158050)

I agree with you intrigue level is the right way to describe them
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World