'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trail riding buddies

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2014-05-28 12:40 PM
22 replies, 13250 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

rhooton
Reg. Dec 2013
Posted 2014-01-01 4:49 PM (#156581)
Subject: Trail riding buddies

Regular

Husband & wife looking for family oriented group, couples or individuals for trial riding activities. We ride areas in Arkansas & Oklahoma and are planning a summer trail riding trip to Colorado. Couples or families with young riders are welcome. We try and ride as often as possible during warm weather.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Remington77
Reg. Nov 2011
Posted 2014-01-07 7:15 AM (#156731 - in reply to #156581)
Subject: RE: Trail riding buddies

Regular

I see that you aren't having much luck finding riding buddies either. I live a long way from you [Ohio] or my wife and I would ride with you. Good riding buddies are hard to come by. We have quarter horses and most people around here have changed to gaited horses. It is a miserable day trying to keep up with them on a trail. I just retired and have plenty of time so I need to start hunting up a couple riding buddies too. Where in Colorado are you planning on going. We have not ridden our horses in Colorado but we did take a trip to the town of Estes Park and into the Rocky Mountain National Park . It was one of the prettiest places we have been. There is a big horse camp on the north west side of the park at a lake. Don't recall the name of the place but always thought we might trailer out there some day. We have trailered to a really nice place in the north west corner of Nebraska several times. The name of the place is Fort Robinson State Park . It is an old US Army fort the state has converted into a top notch riding facility. The scenery is great. It is about the best place we have been. Especially for a family. Also, it is an hour or two drive up to Custer State Park in South Dakota. The horse camp and riding in awesome there.Anyhow, just wanted to drop you a note and let you know that you aren't the only one having a hard time finding a riding buddy. Good luck and if that don't work, just head out as a family, you will meet good people in the camp.Have a great day
aceliberty
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2014-01-07 5:04 PM (#156740 - in reply to #156731)

Extreme Veteran

I fully understand what you both are saying. We were invited into a group of great families to do some long distance trips since back in '04. Many of us couples were from various states but would meet up at a campground somewhere out west. Since then, most of the group dispersed due to health, conflicts, etc. We've had really great times in CO, WY, SD and attempted NM the year Hurricane Dolly wiped out the road up to camp and we diverted up to CO again. All super trips, and you get to know the nicest folks at the campground. Hubby doesn't ride, and our kids are grown and out of the nest; however, the couples that brought kids along kept us all amused. Hubby played cards with them, and now we're invited to one's wedding. Miss the great times.
Arieldouglas
Reg. Aug 2013
Posted 2014-01-07 10:12 PM (#156746 - in reply to #156581)

Veteran

If you guys are on Facebook, check out Horse Trails and Camping Across America.
aceliberty
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2014-01-08 12:36 AM (#156751 - in reply to #156746)

Extreme Veteran

I am on there off and on.
onemileatatime
Reg. Apr 2009
Posted 2014-01-08 10:49 AM (#156762 - in reply to #156581)

Regular

The campground on the west entrance into Rocky Mountain National Park is Winding River Resort.  It is very nice there.  We are heading back this year. Very nice accomdations and the riding is wonderful.  Campground is surrounded on three sides buy the Rocky Mountain National park the fourth side and back gate out of the campground puts you in the Arapahoe National Park.  We ride Illinois,Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas, Kentucky, Tenessee, Colorado, Nebraska, South Dakota, and Oklahoma. Most weekends you will find us in Missouri but one or two weeks a year we venture out west and on holiday weekends into our neighboring states. We always want to meet new people. We ride quarter horses and know what you mean about horrible day rides of catching up.  We ride with some friends that ride gaited. If they want to gait that day I always tell them to just let us know we are fine riding out on our own. 
aceliberty
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2014-01-08 2:40 PM (#156767 - in reply to #156762)

Extreme Veteran

The year our group went to Winding River, CO we had to cancel due to a building project at our house. Friends liked it there a lot. I've ridden down in MO since the early 70's. Camped twice there last summer. Favorite is the Big Creek ride although I usually ride with friends in smaller groups. I'm not gaited either. Like you, we try to do one bigger trip out west in the summer late July or early Aug. No set plan for the coming summer, as the group dispersed. Meanwhile, trying to sell my small trailer and bump up a notch because no plans to give up horse camping as long as I'm able to get in the saddle or Hubby lifts me into it.
onemileatatime
Reg. Apr 2009
Posted 2014-01-08 3:02 PM (#156768 - in reply to #156767)

Regular

You should try to go again.  We are going staying for 9 nights. we did 6 last year and it just wasnt enough. i dont know if 9 will be.  We ride Big Creek quite a bit. I love the setting of the campground and the Howells are nice hosts.  We go the most during June thru August when they arent having the organized rides but just the open camping.  Good luck on the trailer search. 
aceliberty
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2014-01-08 3:36 PM (#156769 - in reply to #156768)

Extreme Veteran

On the CO trips, it takes us two travel days. You might be a bit closer depending on what part of MO you reside in. We live in east central IL. We never go less than a week's stay. Hubby likes Bayfield but the riding there is more arid. So we like to spend a few nights there and then move onto Pagosa Springs. Wish we could've made the Winding River trip. I love Big Creek. I haven't been there in a few years since I usually follow friends but have to drive alone. I get so sleepy on the return trip without a co-pilot to keep me awake. I've always loved the people there, especially Pete and hanging out in the tack shop listening to his tales. Great folks. Last summer, we camped at both Lexington and then at Flying R. We departed the very day the rains moved in and subsequent floods. We had a great time camping there, and the cook is unbelievable. It was hot, but we still had a great time.
Remington77
Reg. Nov 2011
Posted 2014-01-08 4:42 PM (#156770 - in reply to #156581)

Regular

well rhooton , things are looking better. Maybe you can get hooked up with some of these good folks and meet them in Colorado. We have met and made a lot of good friends in these horse camps. Onemileatatime is right about that horse camp north west of Rocky Mountain National Park. It is Winding River Resort at Grand Lake. It looked like a ride of a lifetime. If you go, you might want to check out Estes Park . Sure would like to do that. We were there about a year before the flood and it was great. The drive up from Denver through Devils Gulch was amazing. Don't know what it looks like since the flood last year . Good luck in meeting /finding some good riding buddies
rhooton
Reg. Dec 2013
Posted 2014-01-13 9:44 AM (#156873 - in reply to #156581)

Regular

We are planning a trip to Winding River in Colorado for the week of July 14th.  Have not made reservation yet, will do that this week.  Hopefully we'll meet some of you there.
onemileatatime
Reg. Apr 2009
Posted 2014-01-13 3:23 PM (#156891 - in reply to #156873)

Regular

we leave from there the 12th so u will just miss us, dang it.  we would have loved to rode with u some. 
onemileatatime
Reg. Apr 2009
Posted 2014-01-13 3:31 PM (#156892 - in reply to #156873)

Regular

If you have any questions about Winding River let me know. we really love it there. Some friends that cant make the trip this year with us are already asking us to go with them in 2015.  Estes Park is a very scenic 42 mile drive from Winding River. A nice afternoon adventure.  If u decide to ride to Cascade Falls do it during the week. It is very popular with weekend hikers. Up close to the top of the falls the trail is narrow and the hikers get peeved with us horse people. 
rhooton
Reg. Dec 2013
Posted 2014-01-17 7:47 PM (#156996 - in reply to #156581)

Regular

Got our reservations made at Winding River near Grand Lake for July. We will be arriving on the evening of 7/13/2014...be there most of the week...maybe we'll meet some of you while we're there. Thanks everybody for their input.
partimecowboy
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2014-03-16 4:59 PM (#158091 - in reply to #156581)

Southern Colorado has some good riding in the Sangre De Cristo Mtns near Westcliffe, CO. We go around there most every yr and have friends that know the area. We want to go over to the Durango, CO area sometime. It is a beautiful area. We were there a few yrs back but without horses, so I want to go back with my Qtr horse. We don"t have any definite plans yet, so we might even try winding river. We plan to do some riding in Ark or Mo on the way out since we have a 3 day trip from NC. Are you close to Flying R?

onemileatatime
Reg. Apr 2009
Posted 2014-03-27 2:55 PM (#158292 - in reply to #158091)

Regular

Flying R is about 3 hours from us. There is a lot of nice places to ride in Missouri. What route do you look to be on coming across Missouri?
rhooton
Reg. Dec 2013
Posted 2014-03-30 12:07 PM (#158334 - in reply to #156581)

Regular

Actually we'll be taking Interstate 40 across into Oklahoma and then north to Salina, KS. and Interstate 70 across into Colorado. We actually pulled up to Neosho Missouri a couple of weeks ago and road Fort Crowder Conservation area. We had a really good time, met some new riding buddies. My son is now stationed at Fort Leonard Wood after a tour in Iraq and Afghanistan so we'll be looking for nice areas to ride near him if anyone has any suggestions.
onemileatatime
Reg. Apr 2009
Posted 2014-03-31 10:47 AM (#158348 - in reply to #158334)

Regular

Slabtown Trailrides is near Ft Wood.  Really nice campground and riding.  On Saturday evenings if he has more than 3 trailers he does a fish fry you just bring a side dish.  He has nice clean shower houses and a building that has heat and ac.  There is a tv in there that has local tv channels and local weather.  he also sells ice.  Most sites are shaded. water and electric at every site.  We ride there quite often.  You ride Mark Twain National Forest and PaddyCreek Wilderness area. 

Big Piney 4-J is at Waynesville also close to the Fort.  They offer one week rides during the summer with meals provided. In the spring time dont let them put you down by the river. 

Big Creek Trailrides is also in the area. not as close as Slabtown to the Ft. They have open camping and they also have organized rides with food.  Great family, great accomdations and great riding. Food is all home cooked and eggs are made to order at breakfast.  Stalls are very safe. Have swinging doors and a water sicket every 2 stalls. so no packing water.  Water and electric each site. Laundry facilities and a nice building that is heated and ac that you can utilize. 

There is a nice campground close to Salina KS. Called Kanapolis State Park.  sites are all level, water and electric some horse pens, if pens are full each site has a hitching rail at it.  Nice riding for a few days if you want to layover and ride as well.  We stop here coming and going each time we head out west. It is so handy because you dont have to hassle with leveling blocks, extra electric cords, hose etc everything is close and handy to your trailer.  Each site has a fire ring, table and lamp hanger.  $21 a night. you can reserve online or just show up.  you have to reserve 2 or moe nights to reserve online. campground is rarely full unless they have a special ride like a St Jude ride going on. you an call the park directly and they can let you know.   

slowrider
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2014-04-03 6:56 PM (#158432 - in reply to #156581)

Regular

Remington77, my husband and I will be at Hocking Hills from May 10-16. We ride quarter horses, and would be glad to have riding buddies, if you're in that area of Ohio. We had planned to stay at Cowboy Larry's Campground, but I've called twice and left messages, and haven't heard anything back from him. Does anyone know whether he'll be open this spring?(Sorry to hijack this thread).
RIDE4THEBRAND
Reg. May 2014
Posted 2014-05-20 7:39 PM (#159147 - in reply to #156581)

New User

we live in north central Oklahoma and enjoy riding in Colorado and New Mexico. We ride quarter horses and some of our friends ride mules. Let us know where you are planning on going this year and we might like to tag along.
HarmonHorses
Reg. May 2014
Posted 2014-05-20 9:46 PM (#159151 - in reply to #156581)

New User

Originally written by rhooton on 2014-01-01 4:49 PM

Husband & wife looking for family oriented group, couples or individuals for trial riding activities. We ride areas in Arkansas & Oklahoma and are planning a summer trail riding trip to Colorado. Couples or families with young riders are welcome. We try and ride as often as possible during warm weather.
Robert, we live in NE Oklahoma and do quite a bit of trail riding. I'm sure you are familiar with Cedar Lake in Hodgen, Oklahoma...our group goes there quite often, as well as Devil's Den in Arkansas. We also ride on some private land in Vian, Oklahoma quite a bit and travel out to Lake Carl Blackwell in Stillwater.In the summer, we usually go to Valle Vidal in Carson National Forest (Northern New Mexico), but this year, we are heading to Big South Fork in Tennessee. Our group would be glad to have you guys along some time.
rhooton
Reg. Dec 2013
Posted 2014-05-26 5:08 PM (#159213 - in reply to #156581)

Regular

We went to Cedar Lake and stayed for 3 days. When we arrived on Thursday night we managed to find one campsite left that we could get our rig into. I really like this park and this was our second trip to cedar Lake. We really love the trials. I can see us going back there plenty of times. Took an even 1 hour 35 minutes from our place to the campgrounds.
pwinfrey
Reg. May 2014
Posted 2014-05-28 12:40 PM (#159260 - in reply to #159213)

New User

You have a PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'