'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Merhow

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2014-07-12 9:53 PM
1 replies, 2869 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

mjb
Reg. Jul 2014
Posted 2014-07-10 5:41 PM (#159829)
Subject: Merhow

New User

I am new to the trailer purchasing world and would like some info on what I need to check out on a used trailer prior to purchase. I am looking at a 3 horse Merhow GN built in early 2000. I have researched Merhow reviews and they appear to have good ones. Can you fill me in on what to check and thoughts on their quality? thanks!!!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
trbomax
Reg. May 2014
Posted 2014-07-12 9:53 PM (#159867 - in reply to #159829)
Subject: RE: Merhow

Regular

I dont know anything about the yr 2000 Merhows,but we have an '09 AlumaStar and the design,fabricateing,welding and detail is top notch.I was in the metal fab industry and If I were to build an all aluminum trailer for myself,this is how I would do it. The LQ on ours was done by Recreational Conversions in Goshin In and is top notch as well.The big disapointment,and I mean REALLY big,was the 12v road wireing done by merhow.They butchered holes in every crossmember to string wire thru instead of putting it in conduit and clamping that to the frame.There are 3" dia holes just hand cut willy-nilly with a plasma cutter with only 4 wires draped thru them. In the rear corners there are 4"x4" holes blown thru the rear uprights the same way with the cut outs rattleing around in the box section of the frame. There are 3 wires going thru those holes and they were not evenwrapped in any way.A 4th wire bypasses the big hole and is jammed (bare) thru a 1" x 1/8" slot that was burned thru the corner joint with the mig gun ,or mabe plasma cutter,but in any case it was rough and dripping with slag ,upon which this wire was jammed thru.The tail light openings are the same way and crooked to boot! There is even one place where the hole is so oversize that the edge of it is visible from the outside. The lights wiggle in the holes.Two of the front marker lights are crooked and three of themhad broken/twisted off mounting screws and did not ground properly. Ive owned,built,and looked at a lot of trailers of all sorts in my 70 yrs on this planet and NEVER seen anything as shoddy as this. This winter I intend on tig welding patches over all this trash and totally rewireing the trailer correctly. Anyone can feel free to e mail me for pics of this if they want.Bottom line is that I would definatley have Merhow build us another trailerBut I woud be on top of thier electrcal installers like a buck rabbit on a doe.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)