'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
camping the Black Hills

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2014-07-25 12:47 PM
16 replies, 9306 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

honor
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2014-06-04 5:44 PM (#159349)
Subject: camping the Black Hills

Regular

Wanting to know some views about camping/trail riding out of Broken Arrow and Elk Haven in the Black Hills - was wondering which one had the most riding and how many various trails out of their camps. Pulled up the reviews but sometime people really don't submit anything too negative. Basically wanted to know which one everyone preferred. Also thought maybe about staying 4 days at each of them. Appreciate any thoughts.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
walkin
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2014-06-05 7:33 AM (#159355 - in reply to #159349)
Subject: RE: camping the Black Hills

Elite Veteran

I was at Broken Arrow in 2009. Old ownership. It was nice.
Miner
Reg. Jul 2009
Posted 2014-06-05 8:38 AM (#159357 - in reply to #159349)

We have stayed at Broken Arrow for several years.  The camp is very clean, they have nice pens, and the hosts are very nice. There are alot of trails with varying degrees of difficulty.  Last year we stayed and Broken Arrow a week and Elk Haven for 5 days.  Elk Haven camp was not kept up very well.  When we were there, the grass was tall, garbage laying around, fire pits were full, and the pens were aweful. The owners do not provide you with maps so you are on your own.  Their main attraction is that you can ride to Mt. Rushmore from there, and that they are on the north border of Custer State Park. The problem is that they are surrounded by private land, and you do not know what you can ride or not. We would not go back.  I would just rent a trailer and park at the trail heads next time.
RustyScupper
Reg. Mar 2013
Posted 2014-06-05 9:19 AM (#159358 - in reply to #159349)

Veteran

I have not ridden at either of those. If you are ok with "rustic" camping, there is Iron Creek. You can ride to Mt. Rushmore (not all the way there but up to the road by it) and Harney Peak. Iron Creek has out houses, horse water and Pens
traxarlo
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2014-06-05 9:20 PM (#159363 - in reply to #159349)

I have lived and trailridden in the Black Hills for over 15 years.

For the best riding, Iron Creek Horse Camp would be a great choice.
pooperscooper
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2014-06-06 8:16 AM (#159364 - in reply to #159349)

Veteran

I would pass on Iron Creek this year. They had a devastating blizzard in October and there are tons of dead and falling trees in that area. Most of the trails are not open. Here is a description copied from Custer search and rescue site: Trails in the Norbeck & Black Elk Wilderness are in very poor condition due to dead and downed trees on the trails. Most are impassable to horses and very difficult for hikers.I would suggest Broken Arrow. Very nice clean campground. Covered roomy pens for horses, which is really nice to have when it hails or storms in the afternoons. Plenty of riding right from camp and have trailers you can rent to explore other places such as Custer park, centennial trail, etc. It is easy to get to and close to all the attractions in the Black Hills.
Miner
Reg. Jul 2009
Posted 2014-06-06 8:40 AM (#159366 - in reply to #159349)

Last year the website said the same thing.  We camped at Broken Arrow, and drove to the forest service office  in Custer and asked the rangers.  They reported clear trails to us.  We rode Black Elk and Peter Norbeck and the trails were great.  The ranger said that the website does not get updated in a very timely manner, so it is better to call and ask. 
Cin
Reg. Jan 2014
Posted 2014-06-07 6:34 AM (#159372 - in reply to #159349)

Regular

I have reservations at Broken Arrow for the 17th to the 27th.The owner told me that Harney Peak and Mt Rushmore trails are closed due to a very bad winter.We are bummed but are going anyway as we have planed this trip for a year.We ride mules and saw an article in Mules and More magazine on Broken Arrow.It sounded great. So off we go.I will take my i pad and check in to HTW. I will keep you up to date on the grounds and also the trails. src=HTTP://www.horsetrailerworld.com/forum/emoticons/icon_mad.gif border=0>
pooperscooper
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2014-06-07 6:52 AM (#159373 - in reply to #159349)

Veteran

We'll be at Broken Arrow June 23 thru July 6. Lots of good trails there and if you want to haul out I know lots of great places to ride besides the Black Elk wilderness. Everybody only thinks about riding Mt Rushmore and Harney but theres so much more to see out there.
Cin
Reg. Jan 2014
Posted 2014-06-07 5:16 PM (#159375 - in reply to #159349)

Regular

Maybe we will see you there.We are the two lady's riding a white mule and a red haflinger mule.Hope to see you then.
1annie
Reg. Jun 2013
Posted 2014-06-10 9:27 PM (#159412 - in reply to #159373)

New User

Originally written by pooperscooper on 2014-06-07 6:52 AM

We'll be at Broken Arrow June 23 thru July 6. Lots of good trails there and if you want to haul out I know lots of great places to ride besides the Black Elk wilderness. Everybody only thinks about riding Mt Rushmore and Harney but theres so much more to see out there.
Hi Dawn from Minnesota! How are you and your hubby? Doesn't look like we are going to make South Dakota this year. We had some extra expenses this winter plus sending a young filly of for 2 months to get started. We were so looking forward to going again and riding that canyon again that you told us about last year. Have a safe trip!
pooperscooper
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2014-06-12 7:07 AM (#159438 - in reply to #159349)

Veteran

Hi Dawn, Sorry you guys won't be going this year. We are trying to go as much as we can because never know when Carroll won't be able to ride. Last years ordeal with the collapsed lung really took its toll but he still loves to ride. cin we'll be parked in front of the office in a big big trailer with hay pod and red gmc. Happy Trails everyone!
squeek33
Reg. Jan 2011
Posted 2014-06-16 1:18 AM (#159494 - in reply to #159349)

Stayed at broken arrow for 17 days in 2010 and never got bored. Then went into the park for 14 days Loved both!!!
Cin
Reg. Jan 2014
Posted 2014-06-19 2:48 PM (#159550 - in reply to #159349)

Regular

At Broken Arrow now.It is Awsome.The nicest bath house ever.Super clean and so cute.Today we did a 10 mile ride to Heaven.Amazing.I would highly recommend this camp.The owners bend over backwards to help and are very nice.This one ride was worth the LONG drive from Michigan.And we still have a lot of days left.
Cin
Reg. Jan 2014
Posted 2014-06-19 2:49 PM (#159551 - in reply to #159349)

Regular

I forgot to mention that the weathers great.Perfect for riding.And NO BUGS.
1annie
Reg. Jun 2013
Posted 2014-06-23 10:58 AM (#159571 - in reply to #159551)

New User

Last year we trailered up to silver city and rode the cannon. It was beautiful, ask pooperscooper about it! We ride that again we we go out next year.
goldenbear2001
Reg. May 2014
Posted 2014-07-25 12:47 PM (#160151 - in reply to #159349)

My wife and I stayed at Elk Haven for 10 days in June 2014 and had a wonderful time. The grounds were clean and the facilities met our needs and were also well kept. We have a lq 3 horse KB and our site was equipped with water, electric and sewage. Horse corrals were covered with rubber floors and in good working order. I wouldn't put more than 3 horses per corral however. Prices were reasonable, good food and small general store. Thursday nights they do an awesome rack of ribs bbq. Beautiful riding all around the area as Custer and Black Hills parks are at the doorstep. No trail maps, however, it is practically impossible to get lost. You can ride for as long as you like and go as far as you like also. Most we did was 18 miles in one day, you can ride and never go over the same spot twice. It was beneficial however to bring a small handheld GPS so you can track your daily rides and follow the same route back to camp as you rode out if you wish. We were nervous of getting lost at first too, however, after riding with some friendly people we met the first day and talking with the oweners about the landscape, it was evident that its very difficult to get lost. We had a wonderful time and can't wait to go back next year. Best riding I've ever been on.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)