'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trailer insurance

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2014-08-07 10:28 AM
17 replies, 7744 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

4-star
Reg. Aug 2014
Posted 2014-08-04 10:59 AM (#160256)
Subject: Trailer insurance

Could use some real help with this. We were hit on the road by a sleepy driver to the whole drivers side of the our living quarters 3/horse trailer/axles bent. Intend to fix it up, it is a 4-star with everything we could want, it had it all. Now we are finding it is not totally repairable, this was over 2 weeks ago, nothing has been figured out, no settlement, we have State Farm and total coverage except towing was only on our truck, didn't carry over to the trailer, so it sits 100 miles away from us now. We live in a state with no fault insurance.... I have looked till my head hurts I cannot find a trailer of this quality with all the perks like this one without the price tag being considerably higher than what we paid, yes I got a good deal on it, but should I have to go without now because someone else wrecked it? What should I expect? I have already missed two weekends of camping with the horses and how long will this drag out, I am in MN, there is barely 2 more months of riding here before the weather turns to crap. I am just sick over this, thankful we didn't have horses with us when it happened and we are ok, but now what do we do, feel our insurance we paid out $298 yearly for is not there for us, they don't even have an adjuster to look at it.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
onemileatatime
Reg. Apr 2009
Posted 2014-08-04 11:36 AM (#160258 - in reply to #160256)
Subject: RE: Trailer insurance

Regular

First off Thank Goodness you are safe and that no horses were involved. The trailer can be replaced. There is no blue book for horse trailers.  The best you can do is just find trailers comparable to yours and print them off to basically build a case of what your trailer is worth so when they go to total it you can prove what it is worth and what it is going to cost you to replace it so you can get as much money from the insurance as possible.  You will have to stay on top of the insurance company to move the claim along or they will drag it out on you. Insurance companies know that the longer you have to wait the more anxious you will be to finally just settle with them to be done with it. Dont be surprised if you dont end up having to get a lawyer as some companies  only settle once you lawyer up.  They admitted it to me.  Did you have replacement value insurance or just insured for what you paid for the trailer? We got a good deal on our trailer, so I made sure to get replacement value rider on it as we cant replace it anywhere close to what we paid for it. 
4-star
Reg. Aug 2014
Posted 2014-08-04 12:00 PM (#160262 - in reply to #160256)

We did have replacement, I can't find anything the same year or high end brand as what I had with all amenities of mine. I order to get all the same features I will have to get a trailer a few years newer and of course that will also cost more.
4-star
Reg. Aug 2014
Posted 2014-08-04 12:35 PM (#160263 - in reply to #160256)

Was also wondering if we made a mistake contacting our insurance company when this happen, been hearing now we should have contacted the other parties insurance and put the claim in with them. Is this true and is it too late to change it? There has been nothing settled.
4-star
Reg. Aug 2014
Posted 2014-08-04 1:09 PM (#160265 - in reply to #160258)

Was also wondering if we made a mistake contacting our insurance company when this happen, been hearing now we should have contacted the other parties insurance and put the claim in with them. Is this true and is it too late to change it? There has been nothing settled.
genebob56
Reg. Mar 2014
Posted 2014-08-05 12:14 AM (#160279 - in reply to #160256)

It is not a problem that you contacted your company. They will only increase your rate if they pay out over a certain amount. Even if you are not at fault, you may be best to try to settle with your company and let them subbrogate (they assume your right to collect from the other party).

Minnesota no-fault applies only to Personal Injury Protection (PIP). Liability is still assigned to the offending party, but may be in a %age.

If want fast claim service you need to be the aggressive one. Do every thing you can to establish a value of your trailer. Contact dealers, use the internet, even contact the builder of the LQ. BUT GET ALL VALUES AND ESTIMATES IN WRITING. Don't use the "he said" ploy. Remember that if you can't find the value of your trailer they probably can't either. The ball is in your court.

Good Luck!

ClaudiaIN
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2014-08-05 8:23 AM (#160280 - in reply to #160279)

Veteran

The total coverage was only on your truck? You didn't have the trailer and the value of the trailer listed also? The liability portion of the trailer is automatically covered while you are hauling-- but the trailer itself is extraWe ran into the same problem with hail damage-- we got such a good deal on our trailer that we couldn't find anything comparable - ended up paying out the difference.Yes-- the person that is at fault's insurance company should pay for your trailer-- but you are most likely going to run into the same issue.Good luck
4-star
Reg. Aug 2014
Posted 2014-08-05 12:57 PM (#160287 - in reply to #160256)

We have total coverage on the truck and on the trailer, we had towing on the truck. When the accident happened we call our "Good neighbor" state farm, like the commerial brags.....He told us we would have an adjuster the very next day and then the next day a claims agent from many states away calls us and tells us we are covered for towing on the trailer and they have no adjuster in the area that can cover this claim, we have to get the estimate, well its a total loss, sitting 100 miles away from us, we had to do all the pictures and submit. I could of just as well had our insurance bought through the internet, with all the help we got on this. We are not happy with them at all and when this is settled will be moving all our insurance else where. Trailer value is right around $39,000, I loved it, it was 4-star and I have not been able to find another like it, I feel heart broken, this was our forever trailer.
ClaudiaIN
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2014-08-05 1:03 PM (#160288 - in reply to #160287)

Veteran

I would ask for the claims manager -- it's not your fault they do not have an adjuster close-- or-they can hire an indepdent adjuster.Have you talked with your agent? He may be able to talk to the claims department in your behalf.Also-- I would turn it in to the persons insurance that was at fault-- they should be handling the claim anyway. Nothing wrong with State Farm handling it-- but you would be subject to your deductible in that case -Also-- you can file a complaint with your state insurance commissionerOur trailer that was totaled was an Elite -- I feel your pain
4-star
Reg. Aug 2014
Posted 2014-08-05 1:32 PM (#160289 - in reply to #160256)

Shouldn't our agent suggested we turn it in to the other insurance company? I honestly didn't know this, never been in an accident before.
4-star
Reg. Aug 2014
Posted 2014-08-05 1:43 PM (#160290 - in reply to #160256)

Elite is a nice trailer, I've looked at them too, there is one about 950 miles away that has the set up we had, but it is going to cost a bit more especially to go get it and bring it back.
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2014-08-05 11:07 PM (#160296 - in reply to #160256)

Expert

they should do the leg work not you that is what you are paying for remind them of that
ClaudiaIN
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2014-08-06 12:10 PM (#160308 - in reply to #160256)

Veteran

Yes I would think your agent would have suggested to turn it in to the other company-- BUT-- you probably talked with the claim department and not your agent? Some people only do what is necessary in their jobs.Also some people would rather their insurance company paid minus their deductible so they don't have to deal with the other company. When/if they settle with the other company you SHOULD get your deductible back.But-- you might have the same problem with the other insurance company. Like I said-- we had an Elite trailer - it was older and for the value we were given (which was a fair price for that trailer) -- we had trouble replacing it.Think of it this way-- you have a 10 year old car that you have taken VERY good care of -- it's totaled-- it's probably going to be hard to find that exact vehicle in the same price range as yours. You would probably end up having to get a newer vehicle and pay the difference.That's what we did on our trailer -- got a newer (and smaller) trailer and still had to put out some money--- not necessarily "fair" -- but it's just how it happens, not only with trailers, put all sorts of vehicles, equipment, etc
4-star
Reg. Aug 2014
Posted 2014-08-06 1:07 PM (#160309 - in reply to #160256)

We did talk with our agent first who then put in the claim the next day. Now we don't hear nothing from our agent, will be going on 3 weeks tomorrow that the accident occurred. Just don't seem fair that we have to incur the expense of traveling miles, taking time off of work to go look at potential trailers. We will be dropping our insurance with them when this is settled. State Farm's commercial is false advertising. They are not there like a good neighbor, they bring me pain.
ClaudiaIN
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2014-08-06 3:49 PM (#160312 - in reply to #160309)

Veteran

Iknow it's frustrating and believe me-- I am not taking up for State Farm-- but - I was in the insurance industry for over 30 years - and NO company is going to do all the leg work and find a similiar trailer and deliver it to your door. It just doesn't work that way. Even though it's not your fault-- it's up to you to find a replacement. The insurance companies will give you a settlement payment and then what you buy, if anything- is up to you.Is that fair - especially when it's not your fault? No-- but that's the way claims are handled. OUr house was damaged by tornado a couple of years ago-- along with 2 horse trailers, barn and I even lost my horse a few days later. I was the one that had to coordinate getting the contractors out-- getting the trailers repaired ,and having my mare put down. The insurance company just wrote the settlement checks.You have said you have never had a claim before and I'm just trying to help you.Call your agent and get the claims managers number and call them and see what they suggest. If they haven't called you back in 3 weeks-- they aren't going to-- you are going to have to make the next move. I would suggest getting information to them - or the persons insurance that was at fault , about trailers that are close in size, year etc to yours and send them that information .Horse Trailer World is a great place to find out prices of trailers-- and contact any local trailer dealers in your area.Hope this helps.
horsin around
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2014-08-06 9:36 PM (#160316 - in reply to #160256)

Extreme Veteran

I have State Farm Insurance and can say I've only had good service. Unfortunately I've had different claims from hail damage to the house, barn, truck & trailer and also a few car accidents that I wasn't a fault with.My trailer had pictures taken and I was given a value when I first insured it and if it was totaled, that's what I'd get for my settlement. I thought it was very fair since it was $5,000, more than I paid for it. I also kept an e-mail with the discussion of the extras I have on the trailer that an average trail wouldn't have. I have a fully enclosed hay pod with a water system that goes through the ladder. I found prices for what it's cost to replace the hay pod and it was over $5,000 and I showed it to my agent. It was discussed that the extra would have to be negotiated to get paid for it.To get your very best settlement you have to fight for it and to educate yourself on prices out there and do the research to find it and print off for evidence anything you find. When it was mentioned they'll use it against you to make you want to make a quick settlement, it's very true. My first accident put me in that position when bills weren't being paid by the other company and I was being turned in to the credit bureau. It was suggested to me to turn the claim adjuster in to the state insurance commissioner because he was way out of line so I did and it helped.I turned things into the insurance of the party at fault. Even on one of my cars I negotiated for the price on the remote starter because it was an extra value. It was to my understanding I could have turned things into my insurance and then the other company would reimburse my company but that was for my car so not sure about a horse trailer.The very hardest thing to do is the have the patience to ride it out for your best settlement especially when your riding season is drawing closer to an end. You may have to accept it'll take time and this year's riding may be shortened. Hold out for your next forever trailer and take your time. It could take you a few months to find it but it'll be so worth it when you do.
Linda Y
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2014-08-07 8:20 AM (#160322 - in reply to #160256)

Extreme Veteran

An insurance Co. and even a lawyer or judge will tell you that you have to mitigate your damages. And having gone through Katrina and dealing with those damages, I have found that you have to be proactive and aggressive in dealing with everyone. Don't sit back and expect the insurance to do the work for you. All they are responsible for is paying out to settle your claim. You aren't insured for your time and trouble, unfortunately.
4-star
Reg. Aug 2014
Posted 2014-08-07 10:28 AM (#160326 - in reply to #160256)

We had hail damage 4 years ago on the roof and awning our our trailer and state farm found an adjuster then within the week. So this time we have our trailer sitting 100 miles away, we were told they had no one that could come and adjust it, so we have had to do it ourselves, no one from state farm has come to look at it or take pictures. 3 weeks today....I've been told that they have one month to get it done from the time you turn it in, they want to take sweet time on this I'll wait it out and then file a complaint also.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)