'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
1989 Soft Touch trailer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2014-09-29 10:46 PM
2 replies, 3766 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

HuntEmUp
Reg. Sep 2014
Posted 2014-09-29 3:27 PM (#160962)
Subject: 1989 Soft Touch trailer

New User

Hey y'all, I have a question & I'm hoping someone can help. I recently bought, what I think, a 1989 Soft Touch horse trailer. It is a 5 horse slant that was converted into a 3 horse with living quarters. I am trying to figure out if it is a Soft Touch &, if so, would love any info on it. I have, hopefully, attached pictures so y'all can see it. I am also having a problem with the lights to work when its connected to the truck. My 2013 Ram 2500 is picking up on the fact that its hooked up, but the lights aren't working. Can anyone give me any suggestions on what to do about this? Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it!

(back.jpg)

(front.jpg)

(side view 2.jpg)

(trailer side view 1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments back.jpg (98KB - 138 downloads)
Attachments front.jpg (59KB - 123 downloads)
Attachments side view 2.jpg (67KB - 133 downloads)
Attachments trailer side view 1.jpg (106KB - 142 downloads)
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
beeoerdog
Reg. Jan 2014
Posted 2014-09-29 3:49 PM (#160963 - in reply to #160962)
Subject: RE: 1989 Soft Touch trailer

Extreme Veteran

Assuming you are talking about brake lights, running lights, turn lights...If none are working, I would suspect a bad ground connection. You will need to follow the wiring from your plug back to where the ground wire connects to the frame. Verify that the wiring at the plug is correct also....a trailer that old has surely had someone work on the wiring before and could easily have made a mistake. Etrailer.com has tutorials on how the wiring should look, depending on plug style. If so, change the wiring and plug to match the Dodge receptacle.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2014-09-29 10:46 PM (#160968 - in reply to #160962)
Subject: RE: 1989 Soft Touch trailer

Expert

You might consider purchasing a new plug, and rewiring the trailer circuits to match the pole pins of your truck's plug. That way you will ensure each trailer function is properly sourced. With a used trailer, you have no way, other than operation, to know if the original owner had changed any of the voltage sources that might be incompatible with your truck.

Many times people will just install the wires by their function within the plug, and not follow any standard wiring placements. That combination can work well for that owner, but when towed by another vehicle, that trailer's lights and brakes can become inoperative.

As was stated, there are several wiring diagrams available on the Internet, that will show the proper (standard) placement of the leads within the type of plug you are using. It is not difficult to individually power each of the trailer's wires to determine what circuit they feed. As each one is determined and placed within the plug, the remaining wires are easier to identify. If you use a power source such as a battery charger to illuminate the circuits, you will eliminate the chances of blowing your truck's fuses.

A multi meter will determine what circuits your truck's pin are activating, and it's then an easy task to match the trailer wiring to them once they have been identified.

If a LQ was added it is possible that alterations were made to the trailer's original wiring. You would think that interior alterations would not affect running, turn and brake lights, but the main looms often run within the interior framework, and may altered during the interior's addition.

Again, using a power source to each pin can determine what circuits the wire is feeding. It's much easier to trouble shoot this way, than trying to use the colour coding of the wiring, which functions can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. 

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)