'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
EAST TENN RIDING

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2014-11-12 7:21 AM
5 replies, 6703 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

ncotterman
Reg. May 2014
Posted 2014-05-11 9:50 AM (#158992)
Subject: EAST TENN RIDING

New User

I live in east tenn and im wanting to get into endurance riding. Any ideas on places around here to check out? Im fairly new to the area so I dont really know much
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
walkin
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2014-05-12 7:19 AM (#158999 - in reply to #158992)
Subject: RE: EAST TENN RIDING

Elite Veteran

AERC.org.
Summerset93
Reg. Aug 2010
Posted 2014-06-22 8:41 AM (#159558 - in reply to #158992)

Summerset93
Reg. Aug 2010
Posted 2014-06-22 9:03 AM (#159559 - in reply to #158992)

There are many areas in (and around) East Tennessee for trail riding/endurance training:Great Smoky Mountains National Park (Trail Heads - Abram's Creek, Big Creek, Cades Cove, Cataloochee, Cosby, Top of the World, Tremont)Baker's Creek (near Maryville)Big South Fork National River & Recreation Area (Trail Heads - Bandy Creek, Bear Creek, Cumberland Valley, Gobbler's Knob, Middle Creek, Station Camp)Blowing Rock/Moses Cone (near Boone, NC)Chicamauga Battlefield (near Chattanooga)Chuck Swann Wildlife Management Area (near New Tazewell)Cherokee National Forest (Trail Heads - Citico Creek, Hartford, Horse Creek, Lost Corral, Meadow Creek, Weavers Bend, Wolfe Creek)Cumberland Gap National Park (near Ewing, VA)East Fork Stables (near Jamestown)Frozen Head State Park (near Wartburg)Harmon's Den/Pisgah National Forest (near Waynesville, NC)Lone Mountain (near Harriman)Panther Creek State Park (near Morristown)Phipps Bend (near Sugoinsville)Wilderness Road State Park (near Ewing, VA)Most areas have trail maps available, and I can give you directions to the parking areas if needed (sometimes finding the parking are is the hardest part).
honor
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2014-11-02 3:45 PM (#161365 - in reply to #159559)

Regular

What horse camp grounds in the Great Smokies are easiest to access with trailers with l.q and which would have the most riding out of. Have stayed at several campgrounds surrounding park with electric and all the amenities but were wanting to camp at one of the camps in the actual park.
Summerset93
Reg. Aug 2010
Posted 2014-11-12 7:21 AM (#161515 - in reply to #161365)

There are 5 drive-in horse camps in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park - Anthony Creek, Big Creek, Cataloochee, Round Bottoms and Tow String. I have been to 3 of those camps, so I can give you some limited information on those. ANTHONY CREEK - Located near the entrance to Cades Cove area of the park, this is a small camp with only 3 sites. I never pulled a rig into this camp, but as I have ridden though on my horse, I have thought it would be difficult to get a large trailer in and turned around. Plus it is located in the most popular area of the park, so traffic can be a bit of a hassle. There is quite a bit a riding from this camp (Rich Mountain / Russell-Spence Fields / Crib Gap). BIG CREEK - Located near the TN/NC line on I-40, this is the nicest camp of the 3 I have visited. Access can be a little tricky as there is a short stretch of one lane road and a one lane bridge to cross. I have seen 3 horse rigs with living quarters get through, but you really have to get lined up on that bridge to get across. The sites are easy to get into/out of. Horses are kept in metal tie stalls in the center of camp, and sites are like spokes of a wheel around the outside. There is some riding here (Walnut Bottoms / Mt. Cammerer / Mt. Sterling). CATALOOCHEE - Located near Waynesville, NC this is the largest horse camp, but also the most difficult to drive to. There is a long stretch of one lane road during which you pray that you will not meet another large rig coming in the other direction. Once you get it, the camp is nice and offers quite a bit of riding (Pretty Hollow / Rough Fork / Palmer Creek). This is the area of the park into which they have reintroduced elk, so there are quite a few sightseers in the area (especially early AM and late PM). While I have never visited TOWSTRING, I just looked at the trail map and there is very little riding from this camp. I also looked at ROUND BOTTOM on the map, and there is some riding from this camp, but not alot. Here is a link to the trail map for the GSMNP: http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/upload/GSMNP-Map_JUNE14-compl... Hope this helps.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)