'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
The on/off switch for the shore power

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2014-12-24 10:28 AM
16 replies, 11232 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

diggerdoo
Reg. Oct 2009
Posted 2014-12-23 6:30 AM (#162126)
Subject: The on/off switch for the shore power

Veteran

Could someone please explain this switch to me?  Specifically, relating to the charging of the batteries?  In the winter, should I leave my trailer plugged in, with this turned off so that my they stay charged, or does that fry the batteries?  I want to do what is best for my batteries, and I have never owned a trailer before with this switch. 
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2014-12-23 7:29 AM (#162133 - in reply to #162126)
Subject: RE: The on/off switch for the shore power

Elite Veteran

I've owned several LQ trailers, and that switch has been wired differently on some of them. One- wouldn't charge the batteries of switch was off. Another- didn't matter.

I leave my trailer plugged in, switch on, and batteries charging for 2 weeks.  If I am not using it, I turn the switch off for 2 weeks every month (doesn't charge batts). And cycle back and forth. I check the water in them monthly

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2014-12-23 8:29 AM (#162134 - in reply to #162126)

Expert

When not in use, we leave the shore power off and use an inexpensive battery tender to maintain the batteries. I don't believe in the necessity of energising an entire electrical system, to just maintain a battery. Not all the converters of older trailers are capable of properly maintaining batteries. Some are only basic battery chargers, that if left continuously "ON", will over charge and destroy a battery. Many of the newer converters have the better three step charging systems, that continuously maintain the necessary recharging, and can result in the longevity of the batteries.
diggerdoo
Reg. Oct 2009
Posted 2014-12-23 1:11 PM (#162137 - in reply to #162134)

Veteran

This is a 2000 Sundowner, but the previous owner did upgrade to the "smart" converter a couple of years ago.  I know if I turn that switch off, my electric jack still works, but everything else is off.  So, you should not constantly charge your battery, nor let them go completely dead?   
tobruk
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2014-12-23 2:09 PM (#162138 - in reply to #162126)

Veteran

The batteries need to be pretty "up" in order for the electric to work. Most jack failures are caused by weak batteries.
cajunmuleman
Reg. Oct 2011
Posted 2014-12-23 3:04 PM (#162140 - in reply to #162126)

Elite Veteran

I also agree with Gard. I keep a "battery maintainer" on my batteries if it will be awhile before I use the trailer again.
beeoerdog
Reg. Jan 2014
Posted 2014-12-23 3:25 PM (#162141 - in reply to #162126)

Extreme Veteran

The smart charger does the same thing as a battery maintainer. You still need to occasionally check the water level in the batteries....
diggerdoo
Reg. Oct 2009
Posted 2014-12-23 6:07 PM (#162143 - in reply to #162141)

Veteran

Originally written by beeoerdog on 2014-12-23 3:25 PM

The smart charger does the same thing as a battery maintainer. You still need to occasionally check the water level in the batteries....
Is the converter still working when that switch is off? Because my battery was almost dead, I plugged the trailer in, and now the jack is working good like it is charging. But I have the switch off. The jack only works on 12V, correct?
beeoerdog
Reg. Jan 2014
Posted 2014-12-23 7:23 PM (#162145 - in reply to #162126)

Extreme Veteran

The converter is still working, just not charging the battery when the switch is off. Twelve volt items(lights, radios, etc.) will still work inside the trailer. The jack requires a charged battery. Using a dead battery with the converter on will eventually damage the electric motor.
All batteries eventually go bad but leaving the charger connected and keeping the water level in the battery correct will lead to the longest life. Your batteries are happiest when they are fully charged with the right water level. There is a cool little meter called "Voltminder" which you can add to your dc distribution panel that monitors the state of your battery.....you can tell exactly what the voltage is and if they need to be recharged when you are not connected to shore power.
diggerdoo
Reg. Oct 2009
Posted 2014-12-23 7:38 PM (#162146 - in reply to #162145)

Veteran

Originally written by beeoerdog on 2014-12-23 7:23 PM

The converter is still working, just not charging the battery when the switch is off. Twelve volt items(lights, radios, etc.) will still work inside the trailer. The jack requires a charged battery. Using a dead battery with the converter on will eventually damage the electric motor.All batteries eventually go bad but leaving the charger connected and keeping the water level in the battery correct will lead to the longest life. Your batteries are happiest when they are fully charged with the right water level. There is a cool little meter called "Voltminder" which you can add to your dc distribution panel that monitors the state of your battery.....you can tell exactly what the voltage is and if they need to be recharged when you are not connected to shore power.
diggerdoo
Reg. Oct 2009
Posted 2014-12-23 7:46 PM (#162147 - in reply to #162146)

Veteran

Originally written by diggerdoo on 2014-12-23 7:38 PM

Originally written by beeoerdog on 2014-12-23 7:23 PM

The converter is still working, just not charging the battery when the switch is off. Twelve volt items(lights, radios, etc.) will still work inside the trailer. The jack requires a charged battery. Using a dead battery with the converter on will eventually damage the electric motor.All batteries eventually go bad but leaving the charger connected and keeping the water level in the battery correct will lead to the longest life. Your batteries are happiest when they are fully charged with the right water level. There is a cool little meter called "Voltminder" which you can add to your dc distribution panel that monitors the state of your battery.....you can tell exactly what the voltage is and if they need to be recharged when you are not connected to shore power.
I have the panel which shows the water tank/holding tank levels and also has the battery on it. Is that what you're talking about? That nor anything else 12V works in the trailer when that switch is off. The only thing that still does work is the jack (when the battery is charged). Is this all normal or is my trailer weird? I understand now that my batteries like to be fully charged. I guess I was also wondering if, just sitting there doing nothing in the cold, cold weather do they lose their charge anyway? I'm sorry I'm being a little dense here.
beeoerdog
Reg. Jan 2014
Posted 2014-12-23 8:07 PM (#162148 - in reply to #162126)

Extreme Veteran

Hi...the meter you have which indicates water levels...battery charge is very imprecise. Google Voltminder to get more info....it is a separate meter that monitors the battery only. If you are plugged into shore power, all electrical meters, lights, 120/12 volt items should work. The converter supplies the 12 volts if the battery is disconnected (switch is off) If nothing works when the shore power is connected and the switch is off, then it is miswired. The battery does lose voltage just sitting there doing nothing if it is not connected to a charger. Think of leaving your car unused for several months.....it might not start. The jack will work if the battery is charged because it gets its power direct from the battery and does not go thru the disconnect switch.
diggerdoo
Reg. Oct 2009
Posted 2014-12-23 9:16 PM (#162149 - in reply to #162148)

Veteran

Then I guess it isn't wired correctly then. I have the trailer plugged in, the switch off and nothing 12v wise is on except the battery which is obviously powering the jack. When I turn the switch on, everything comes on but I'm assuming it's working on the AC side since it is plugged in. If I unplugged and the battery was fully charged up, all the 12v stuff will work as long as that switch is on. I'm quite sure if I turned it off at that point, nothing would work, except, once again, the jack. I just got this trailer in the spring and only had the opportunity to use it about 5 times, and I was always plugged in. Now at this point I'm trying to figure out the best thing to do during winter storage. Guess I'll have to lay out some cash and find out how messed up it is.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2014-12-23 9:44 PM (#162150 - in reply to #162126)

Expert

Your electrical situation is correct. With no shore power available, the battery switch will determine if the interior is powered or not. With shore power available, the converter is powering the 12V system without the necessity of using battery power. With the battery switch "OFF", and the shore power "ON", the converter usually will not recharge the battery. The jack is hard wired directly to the battery with a large feeder cable, that often has no disconnects. If your batteries are in good shape, they should maintain a full charge for at least a month at a time. Battery tenders are available for less than $10 and up. They will keep your batteries at an optimum charge, and greatly increase their longevity by eliminating any chance of freezing or over charging.
TS351
Reg. Apr 2014
Posted 2014-12-24 7:06 AM (#162152 - in reply to #162126)

Regular

Our 2002 Sundowner was the same way, there is a main power switch inside the trailer right by the door that would shut everything inside the trailer off, yours isn't wired wrong
beeoerdog
Reg. Jan 2014
Posted 2014-12-24 7:18 AM (#162153 - in reply to #162126)

Extreme Veteran

It appears that the trailer is wired correctly with the disconnect separating the battery from the 12v distribution panel. It is done that way to allow you to avoid battery drain when you are not using the trailer and not plugged in. Leave the trailer plugged in and the switch on when you are not using it. For a good description of 12 volt trailer wiring, batteries, etc. google "12 volt side of life".....a couple of good descriptions of rv systems
diggerdoo
Reg. Oct 2009
Posted 2014-12-24 10:28 AM (#162154 - in reply to #162126)

Veteran

Thank you all, I get it now and I'm glad it's wired correctly. Merry Christmas everyone!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)