'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Brake controller and Cruise control

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2015-02-06 7:20 AM
2 replies, 3404 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

maccwall
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2015-02-05 7:39 AM (#162464)
Subject: Brake controller and Cruise control

Extreme Veteran

I do not know if anyone can help me here but I own a 2007 Silverado Classic 2500 and recently I have replaced all the lights, interior and exterior, with the exception of the low and hi beams, with LEDs and my horse trailer, which is an 04 Hart 3 horse GN, has had LEDs for a while. I towed it for the first time after the swap the other day and noticed that the LCD on my brake controller with the gain number on it was flickering at 0. Normally, without the brake applied, there would be no number lit up at all. It did not seem to hinder any brake function but when I went to apply my cruise control, the cruise control would not turn on. I tried the cruise control again on my return trip home and it seemed to work fine but I did notice that the controller was not flickering either. I am assuming that this would be related to the LED swap and voltage issues between the truck and trailer. Is there any diode or such that I can put inline on the brake controller to prevent this from happening. Ride season is fast approaching and will be traveling with the horses quite a bit and I am just wanting to avoid any unseen issues, particularly when it involves braking my trailer with my horses in it.
Posted 2015-02-05 9:53 PM (#162473 - in reply to #162464)
Subject: RE: Brake controller and Cruise control

Expert

If your controller is flashing 0.L with the trailer connected, then there may be a short on the trailer or overload in trailer brakes The magnets may be worn and need to be replaced. Check the wires for the brake assemblies and see if they are frayed, nicked or pinched. Trace this circuit from the brakes all the way forward to the trailer connector.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
justgurn
Reg. Oct 2010
Posted 2015-02-06 7:20 AM (#162474 - in reply to #162464)
Subject: RE: Brake controller and Cruise control

Veteran

The conditions you described are caused by 2 issues poor grounding and or low battery voltage. I would locate the grounding locations including the battery and clean them. I would also have the battery load tested.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)