'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Business Question...been a long time...

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2015-04-06 5:54 PM
1 replies, 2845 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

racesarabhorses
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2015-04-06 5:15 PM (#163087)
Subject: Business Question...been a long time...

Veteran

OK... So, I own a paid off 2006 Ram 3500 (since new) and a 2002 Silver Star 3-horse slant/gooseneck (since new.) I no longer own horses, but circumstances are such that I am not really interested in selling my stuff. I'm thinking about going into business, part-time, hauling horses on the weekends (mostly). Local to regional only.This would allow me to make a little money on the side.Can anyone tell me about the business end of this? Is something like this a legitimate way to earn a little money? How should I set up the business to protect myself/assets? I suspect it is possible I could get a break on a new truck (tax-wise) for business. Not sure if there are other things that make this a worthwhile venture.Thank you,Mike
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2015-04-06 5:54 PM (#163088 - in reply to #163087)
Subject: RE: Business Question...been a long time...

Expert

Commercial Insurance, CDL(probably), USDOT number,
Here is a link to see what States require DOT numbers. Most States require them even if all of your travel is intra-state.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration-licensing/registration-usdot....

Most States (if not all) use the FMCSA definition of a Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV) which is...

Commercial motor vehicle (CMV) means a motor vehicle or combination of motor vehicles used in commerce to transport passengers or property if the motor vehicle—
(1) Has a gross combination weight rating or gross combination weight of 11,794 kilograms or more (26,001 pounds or more), whichever is greater, inclusive of a towed unit(s) with a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight of more than 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds), whichever is greater; or
(2) Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight of 11,794 or more kilograms (26,001 pounds or more), whichever is greater; or
(3) Is designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver; or
(4) Is of any size and is used in the transportation of hazardous materials as defined in this section.

If your vehicle falls into one of these categories and you travel outside of your state, then you need a DOT number. If the combined GVWR of your truck and trailer exceeds 26,001 lbs AND your trailer exceeds 10,001 lbs you need a commercial drivers license. If your trailer is less than 10,001 lbs and your tow vehicle is less than 26,001 lbs, you do not need a commercial drivers license, but will still need a DOT number. You should also check your drivers license "class" rating.

All of these laws have been in place for several years. I think what everyone is seeing is an increased level of enforcement by the States. I'm convinced it's revenue driven.

The difficulty with the laws is that they are clear as mud. Whether or not you get pulled over, or get a ticket/warning is going to be strictly dependent on the individual officer. Just an FYI, State DOT Enforcement officers do have quotas for the number of roadside inspections and tickets to be written on an annual basis.

If you have any questions on the rules, here is a link...

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/fmc...

Happy reading! :)
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)