'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
horse trailer awning installation

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2015-07-09 7:25 AM
5 replies, 7665 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

"Mikey"
Reg. Jul 2015
Posted 2015-07-06 8:50 AM (#163953)
Subject: horse trailer awning installation

New User

I have a CM horse trailer and am considering installing an awning. Found a very good video on installing but still have unanswered questions. Makes no difference if I go with manual or motorized awning but the video shows installation of vertical supports at the top of the trailer and the other at the floor line ... the floor line installation is impossible for the back support because the fender well is only 1 1/2 inches away from the metal flare that holds the tail lights. MY QUESTIONS:1. CAN THE REAR SUPPORT BE ATTACHED ABOVE THE FLOOR LINE AND JUST HOW FAR TO WORK PROPERLY?1. IS THERE AN AWNING THAT CAN HAVE THOSE SUPPORTS INSTALLED HIGHER THAN THE FLOOR LINE.www.mikeyporter.com
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
PDGx
Reg. Jul 2011
Posted 2015-07-07 2:03 PM (#163980 - in reply to #163953)
Subject: RE: horse trailer awning installation

Veteran

Yes the floor line on most horse trailers is impractical or impossible as it is the lower frame support. Just installed one on ours and the bottom supports are about 6" above floor line. The dimensions of your vertical arms just need to be proper for where you will be locating your bottom supports ( there are long and short versions available ) Also make sure your selected location doesn't put the mounting screws in a bad place that either interfere with something in your LQ wall or the horse area that can be hazardous to your horses. Also if you look at photos of many horse trailer awnings, the lower supports are quite a ways up the wall. Since horse trailers are quite a bit lower than most RVs, you need to keep in mind that the awning when pivoted outward will also be lower than the top rail with the arms connected to the bottom supports. When initially installed and opened, I could not walk under the flap without ducking. Adding a couple more holes to the slides solved that. A higher location of the bottom mount will also assist with this opened height.
"Mikey"
Reg. Jul 2015
Posted 2015-07-08 6:54 AM (#163985 - in reply to #163980)

New User

Thank you so much for the useful information. Like any subject one thing leads to another. I have avoided awnings for several years with this trailer because it is a difficult fit. The video set me at ease for they placed the awning rail 5" above the top molding and stated it was okay to place it on the slight curve where the roof rounds off to the top. Then there was the floor line issue, thanks for helping there. NOW I see the horses back window is only a couple of inches from the back of the trailer but we thing we can work around that hmmmmm maybe. Here are some additional questions.1. DO YOU CONSIDER 12" ABOVE THE FLOOR LINE TO HIGH"2. THE HARDWARE ON THE FRONT SUPPORT ... DID YOU HAVE TO REMOVE A PORTION OF THE PANELING INSIDE THE LQ OR DID YOU GO THROUGH IT?Extremely grateful for your help here...... "Mikey"
PDGx
Reg. Jul 2011
Posted 2015-07-08 9:04 AM (#163986 - in reply to #163953)

Veteran

There seems to be a lot of mystery to awnings, but they're really not that difficult to install. The hardest part is just needing 3 people to slide the awning material into the top awning rail after its attached. As a reference I installed a 19' A&E 8500 - it's the longest that would fit our trailer with spacing between drop down windows. The dimension above floor level depends on which of the vertical supports you use. A&E's 'short' arms are for 69-76" use. Their 'long' arms are for 76"+ use. That dimension is from the awning rail downward to the bottom bracket. I mounted the top awning rail about 5" above the drip rail, and about 1/2 way into the curve ( pic attached ). I did not have to remove anything inside as I know what's bedbind the wall in the LQ area, and the back support screws were inside the rear tack area. Keep in mind any screws into the horse area need to be protected from any horse contact. Some other things to keep in mind - long awnings need a center support when closed to prevent bowing the tube, the vertical supports have a latch that could cause interference when the awnig is stowed and door holders may need to be extended depending on your walk door location relative to your vertical arms. When you order your awning you will need 3 things for a complete awning - the awning on the tube, a pair of support arms (long or short), and the awning rail for the top. Awning manufacturers assume the rail is already installed on your trailer from the factory (RVs do, but most horse trailers do not). I'll try to attach a couple of photos to show some details.

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments image.jpg (26KB - 140 downloads)
Attachments image.jpg (26KB - 126 downloads)
Attachments image.jpg (23KB - 128 downloads)
Attachments image.jpg (23KB - 110 downloads)
Attachments image.jpg (28KB - 106 downloads)
Attachments image.jpg (33KB - 115 downloads)
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2015-07-09 6:31 AM (#163990 - in reply to #163953)

Expert

nice this is what I like about this site welcome Mikey to the forum
"Mikey"
Reg. Jul 2015
Posted 2015-07-09 7:25 AM (#163994 - in reply to #163990)

New User

I was a member several years ago but couldn't remember my information so had to start a new membership. YES ... the information here is splendid! My LQ conversion was aided by many on this site. THANKS again..... www.mikeyporter.com
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)