'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Self adjusting brakes

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2015-10-24 9:42 AM
3 replies, 3763 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

daafy
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2015-10-23 6:35 PM (#165161)
Subject: Self adjusting brakes

Regular

Will someone please explain to me what self adjusting brakes are? And do they operate with the brake controller in the truck? My new "used" 2009 Circle J trailer has these brakes but don't seem to be working like my old WW trailer brakes did. In other words, when I engage the manual lever on the brake controller in the truck the trailer brakes don't seem to be engaging. Same when I brake...the trailer brakes don't seem to be engaging. Thanks.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
beeoerdog
Reg. Jan 2014
Posted 2015-10-23 8:33 PM (#165162 - in reply to #165161)
Subject: brakes

Extreme Veteran

Have you inspected the brake shoes? Anyway, here is a little bit of info: https://www.heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/25101-Dexter-Self-Adj... Problem could also be with wiring, grease from failed seals,etc.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2015-10-23 11:47 PM (#165163 - in reply to #165161)
Subject: RE: Self adjusting brakes

Expert

If the brakes don't appear to be working when the manual over ride is engaged, check the plug's spade pin in the 5 o'clock positio,n when the controller is being used. You should have a reading of at least 12V DC. The other thing to check is the adjustment of the brake shoes within the drums' assys. If they haven't been recently adjusted, they may be too far from the drum to be effective. Some self adjusting brakes are activated by manually applying the brakes when you are travelling rearward. This may take several applications to affect. If the brake assemblies haven't been inspected in a while, it's a good time to have the drums pulled, with all the linkages, brake shoes, drums and magnets being inspected. While everything is apart, have the wheel bearings inspected and repacked with new seals and synthetic grease. The self adjusting brakes won't adjust correctly if the linkages are rusted or broken, or if the brake shoes are well worn. Initially, after their installation, the brakes usually have to be manually adjusted to equalise their activation.
daafy
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2015-10-24 9:42 AM (#165164 - in reply to #165161)
Subject: RE: Self adjusting brakes

Regular

Thanks beeoerdog and Gard, sounds like it's time to take the trailer in to the shop!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)