'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Do i need a bigger truck?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2016-01-07 1:18 PM
7 replies, 4258 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

timetofly
Reg. Sep 2010
Posted 2016-01-06 10:12 AM (#165742)
Subject: Do i need a bigger truck?

Looking at purchasing a elite LQ trailer 3 horse with 10 ft LQ. Can i pull this safely with a 3/4 ton chevy duramax 4x4?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
ThreeCW
Reg. Apr 2014
Posted 2016-01-06 10:27 AM (#165743 - in reply to #165742)
Subject: RE: Do i need a bigger truck?

Veteran

You really need to get a weight of the trailer plus determine the weight on the hitch, add in your load weight and then compare it to your truck ratings. We have a 13 ft LQ x 3H trailer that is nearly 100% of our 1 ton F350 dually capacity, so this is NOT a question that can be answered without you getting an ACTUAL weight of the trailer. I also suggest that you do a "test pull" with your truck if you are considering buying this trailer. There are several posts that will help you on this same subject, so have a look back using the search function. Regards, 3CW
ThreeCW
Reg. Apr 2014
Posted 2016-01-06 10:32 AM (#165744 - in reply to #165742)

Veteran

Have a look at the following thread. It should help you size up your truck. http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/forum/thread-view.asp?threadid=203...
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2016-01-06 9:14 PM (#165747 - in reply to #165742)

Expert

Ditto the second post. You want to test pull it with the truck you'll be using or you could make an expensive mistake. You'll also want to check bed rail clearance with the truck being a 4x4. Take the trailer over the scales then add about 2,000 lbs per horse space for horse/tack/feed and that's your lightest load you'll likely be hauling. Some states have towing rules that your truck must meet or exceed the max weight rating of your trailer (even if it's empty) or you are out of compliance and they can impound the entire rig on site, Kansas for example. Some states have different maximum trailer width rules also. Make sure you know the towing laws where you plan on traveling and always err on the side of caution.
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2016-01-07 12:05 AM (#165749 - in reply to #165742)

Expert

Originally written by timetofly on 2016-01-06 1:12 PM

Looking at purchasing a elite LQ trailer 3 horse with 10 ft LQ. Can i pull this safely with a 3/4 ton chevy duramax 4x4?
So what is the weight of this trailer? More importantly, you will need to get a true pin weight that will be sitting on your SINGLE REAR AXLE of your truck...
timetofly
Reg. Sep 2010
Posted 2016-01-07 7:19 AM (#165752 - in reply to #165742)

Well i have to admit I looked at all the posts to figure out the pin wt, and other wts and have no way to figure all that out and cant take it to a scale. I did test pull it empty and stopped it better than my 6 foot short wall. Clearance is no prob, sits level. Trailer gvwr is 15000, my truck says 9200 lb gvwr and only other numbers i can find is that it can pull 18-22K with a gooseneck. Two different horse trailer dealers have said that is probably as big as i would want to go though. I wasnt really looking for this big a trailer but pretty good deal and close to house.
ThreeCW
Reg. Apr 2014
Posted 2016-01-07 9:50 AM (#165753 - in reply to #165742)

Veteran

You may be able to contact the Elite factory with the trailer serial number and figure out the base trailer weight. They should also be able to help you estimate the LQ addition weight. To that, add your horses, tack, water, hay, panels, fuel, food, beer,clothes, generator, etc (these number add up FAST). Take 25 to 30% of that total loaded trailer weight to figure out the pin weight. This pin weight will load the rear truck tires, rear axle and GVWR. Compare the ratings of these 3 components using a "loaded truck weight with loaded trailer" and see where you are in respect to safely and legally going down the road. And then you need to be able to safely stop the "loaded truck and trailer" too. IMO, there are too many overloaded trucks / trailers going down the road ... you will need to ask yourself the question if you want to be one of those or not. Welcome to the forum. Regards, 3CW
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2016-01-07 1:18 PM (#165757 - in reply to #165752)

Expert

Originally written by timetofly on 2016-01-07 10:19 AM

Well i have to admit I looked at all the posts to figure out the pin wt, and other wts and have no way to figure all that out and cant take it to a scale. I did test pull it empty and stopped it better than my 6 foot short wall. Clearance is no prob, sits level. Trailer gvwr is 15000, my truck says 9200 lb gvwr and only other numbers i can find is that it can pull 18-22K with a gooseneck. Two different horse trailer dealers have said that is probably as big as i would want to go though. I wasnt really looking for this big a trailer but pretty good deal and close to house.
you have to have:- Gross Axle Weight Rating for your front axle (GAWR front) - Gross Axle Weight Rating for your rear axle (GAWR rear)- Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR)- Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating (GCVWR)- Payload1. Take your payload, deduct your weight, your wife's weight, the hitch weight, gas, some tools and other stuff you might have in the cabin or the bed = remaining payload. This remaining payload has to be equal or higher than the pin weight, and I don't mean the dry pin weight! It has to be equal or higher than the wet, loaded, holiday pin weight.2. Take your Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating and deduct your trucks Gross Vehicle Weight Rating = max. weight of any trailer you can tow. Be aware that some trucks have a different weight rating for bumper pull trailers and 5th-wheels.3. In all these calculations, the Gross Axle Weight Ratings of your truck may never be exceeded. You find that out only when driving over a scale.This covers the basics to find out what kind of a trailer/5th-wheel you can legally pull. Check the results from 1. and 2. to all the trailers you are looking at and unfortunately you will find out that with some trucks you can't legally pull something big.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)