'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
2010 Keifer Built Aluminum Trailers? Opinions?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2016-02-25 8:19 PM
3 replies, 3164 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Lynxs Mama
Reg. Feb 2016
Posted 2016-02-23 8:28 AM (#166186)
Subject: 2010 Keifer Built Aluminum Trailers? Opinions?

New User

OK, I know the company had several issues prior to 2010. Mostly hinges etc. I am currently looking at purchasing a 2010 3H GN Genesis with LQ. Looking it over, the hinges are HUGE and I really like how it is built. BUT I am in Texas and they are not common around here. I had a friend with an older one that had a fiberglass roof and it was a total POS. But this one is made completely different. ALL aluminum, white skin, good windows and seals....Heavy duty axles and wheels. SOOO, If you have a 2010 or newer Keifer I would like to pick your brain!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
lmassom
Reg. Jul 2014
Posted 2016-02-23 10:57 AM (#166188 - in reply to #166186)
Subject: RE: 2010 Keifer Built Aluminum Trailers? Opinions?

Brought a new 3 horse bumper pull last year. Haven't used it much but in general we like it.

The dealer had to adjust the "tangs" on the stall dividers as they kept coming unlatch while traveling. I had to adjust the strike plate on the tack room door to keep it from coming open while traveling also. Keeping it lock also helps.

Ours isn't insulated and we had major condensation this fall so one of my first jobs once the temperature is warm enough to use glue, etc will be to add insulation.
shags
Reg. Jul 2009
Posted 2016-02-25 5:42 PM (#166211 - in reply to #166186)

Regular

We have a Genesis 3H BP and have never had a problem of any sort with it over thousands of miles hauling.
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2016-02-25 8:19 PM (#166213 - in reply to #166186)

Expert

I was just down there last weekend at the Buc-ee's travel stop in Terrell after swapping some cattle. I saw a Keifer Built LQ trailer about that age in the parking lot, pulled around the back of it to find the back door trim was missing and clearly had major structural issues (it was not square on the rear opening.) I don't know the trailer/owners/history so it might have a salvage title but it didn't look old enough to be falling apart, yet the front looked great and after the LQ wall it was falling apart. There is a reason you don't see that many down there in horse country. You might have to take it all the way across DFW to get it serviced in Weatherford. During my last trailer shopping spree I had a dealer that sold them encourage me to look at the 4-stars they sold as I would be much happier if I planned on really using the trailer. My impression of the conversation was that Keifer's are not strong enough to hold up to years of real use, maybe a few weekends a year but not EVERY weekend. I had to have something that was worth my hard earned money and could be used everyday if needed. You should consider an older premium brand trailer for real long term use.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)