'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
My very first gooseneck! Can I put stuff In my truck bed while hauling?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2016-09-11 8:49 PM
6 replies, 6506 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

EdgeBrook
Reg. Sep 2016
Posted 2016-09-04 3:34 PM (#168295)
Subject: My very first gooseneck! Can I put stuff In my truck bed while hauling?

New User

So I just bought a beautiful 3 horse exiss gooseneck. I have only ever hauled a bumper pull so my question is, can I put stuff in my truck bed while hauling my trailer? I know it can't go around the hitch but can I store hay all the way in the front or is that a no-no?

Also, if anyone has a recommendation on where I could buy the divider portion for the rear tack, the people I bought my trailer from misplaced the rear tack partition. I know I could go to our welder guy and have something made but I'd like to find something lighter weight than what he's going to be able to make.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Reg. Dec 1899
Posted 2016-09-04 3:58 PM (#168296 - in reply to #168295)
Subject: RE: My very first gooseneck! Can I put stuff In my truck bed while hauling?

Long as you can turn as far as you want without hindering the gooseneck you can put "stuff" in the back. Be careful of anything that might get loose and catch on the brake pull strap. It's very abrupt and confusing when that gets pulled. Even in a parking lot? Light things may have a tendency to float. You may check with a dealer and see if the divider is possibly available from the factory. Might also be an opportunity to get it custom made just how you want it. Congrats on the new trailer. We just bought a new one. I think the new has worn off cuz the gooseneck spends most of the time functioning as a parking cover for my 4 wheeler!
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2016-09-04 10:21 PM (#168301 - in reply to #168295)
Subject: RE: My very first gooseneck! Can I put stuff In my truck bed while hauling?

Expert

EdgeBrook - 2016-09-04 6:34 PM So I just bought a beautiful 3 horse exiss gooseneck. I have only ever hauled a bumper pull so my question is, can I put stuff in my truck bed while hauling my trailer? I know it can't go around the hitch but can I store hay all the way in the front or is that a no-no? Also, if anyone has a recommendation on where I could buy the divider portion for the rear tack, the people I bought my trailer from misplaced the rear tack partition. I know I could go to our welder guy and have something made but I'd like to find something lighter weight than what he's going to be able to make.

Just be cognizant of your total weight sitting on the Rear Axle and the fact that it can not exceed RAWR.
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2016-09-09 8:08 AM (#168340 - in reply to #168295)

Expert

EdgeBrook - 2016-09-04 3:34 PM So I just bought a beautiful 3 horse exiss gooseneck. I have only ever hauled a bumper pull so my question is, can I put stuff in my truck bed while hauling my trailer? I know it can't go around the hitch but can I store hay all the way in the front or is that a no-no? Also, if anyone has a recommendation on where I could buy the divider portion for the rear tack, the people I bought my trailer from misplaced the rear tack partition. I know I could go to our welder guy and have something made but I'd like to find something lighter weight than what he's going to be able to make.

Congrats!  Loading things in the bed can be a simple idea but actually lugging heavy hay bales over the painted edge of the bed might be more trouble than it's worth.  Nothing in the bed can become tangled in the hitch/chains/power cord for lights and brakes/emergency breakaway line for the brakes.  If it were me I'd get a rolling hay bale cover and then just pop it into the trailer and then you can roll it around as needed once you get there.  You might find them cheaper but here is one version:  http://www.ridingwarehouse.com/Cashel_Nylon_Rolling_Hay_Bale_Bag/descpage-CNRBB.html
aceliberty
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2016-09-09 1:42 PM (#168347 - in reply to #168295)

Extreme Veteran

Yay for you! I bought a nice little Exiss GN back in '03 and loved it. It didn't have a stud wall, so we often hauled our hay in front of the hitch. I had super heavy hay bags custom made, so they never budged. Obviously, if you haul anything light, you need to secure it. Great advice about making sure nothing catches on the break-away line or light cord. Yeas ago I was hauling back from a camping trip late one night and turned a sharp corner just a 1/4 mile from home. Bam! Brakes locked up. It took me a moment to realize the break-away line pulled away. Boy, it works. About the tack divider......I'd contact Exiss and buy one made for your trailer. The only time we take our divider out of the trailer is to power wash it.   
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2016-09-10 7:11 AM (#168355 - in reply to #168295)

Expert

Be careful what you place in the bed just behing the cab . This is a low pressure area, and at highway speeds, lighter or wide items placed there, can be litteraly lifted off the bed and lost onto the road side. Empty coolers, suitcases, even a folded rubber bed liner have been known to be removed. We haven't had any problems with hay bales, but be careful with empty hay bags.

The GN trailer increases the effects more so than running a truck with no trailer being attached. You will have a lesser affect with light objects stored against the tailgate when you're towing. The trailer covers this area and its bulk reduces the upward lifting.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2016-09-11 8:49 PM (#168366 - in reply to #168355)

Expert

gard - 2016-09-10 7:11 AM
Be careful what you place in the bed just behing the cab . This is a low pressure area, and at highway speeds, lighter or wide items placed there, can be litteraly lifted off the bed and lost onto the road side. Empty coolers, suitcases, even a folded rubber bed liner have been known to be removed. We haven't had any problems with hay bales, but be careful with empty hay bags.

The GN trailer increases the effects more so than running a truck with no trailer being attached. You will have a lesser affect with light objects stored against the tailgate when you're towing. The trailer covers this area and its bulk reduces the upward lifting.

Funny you should mention this,and,funny YOU should be the one to- you'll get a kick out of this I believe.
back in spring we were leaving out for Illinois and meeting a couple not far from our house who were also going.we were running behind as usual.
when we load up,I use the mounting block to hook up our horses as our trailer has been blocked up not to mention I am short anyhow.i threw it in the truck bed when ready to go.my husband said," I don't ever put that there,you know. That thing can be sucked out." I said,as heavy as this is? It will be ok.he shrugged and I guess caved in again and off we go.
a few miles through some hills,we turned and hit the flatland on a highway east of Crowleys Ridge.Not far along,we heard a strange noise.husband said," what is that? Look out your window at the tires." When I rolled it down to look,tires were fine but- I had this feeling.i told him to stop ( fortunately this is a little used highway,mostly farm traffic.
when I walked back and looked in the bed- Yep- no block.BUT- it hadn't disappeared- the thing was lodged underneath the trailer near the escape door step! I flagged a fertilizer loader truck to stop,while i frantically pulled and tugged.it was against the gas line on top also.finally i turned it a certain way and dislodged it.had a big scraped off spot on the edge of the top step where the pavement had scoured it down.
motto: Gard and husband are right.hay bales in front of the GN hitch can't be sucked out but don't put things behind the coupler in the truck bed.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)