'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Warping aluminum roof?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2021-07-01 7:52 AM
5 replies, 1715 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

trinket
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2021-06-24 8:20 AM (#173980)
Subject: Warping aluminum roof?

Hi, I'm looking at a 2004 Featherlite 3 horse and noticed that the roof is warped. Does not appear to have any leaks and the seams have been resealed at some point. Dealership says this just happens from the heat. Anyone have any experiencewith this? Is this normal for an older aluminum roof? Thanks 
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
pass1over
Reg. Jun 2021
Posted 2021-06-24 9:05 AM (#173981 - in reply to #173980)
Subject: RE: Warping aluminum roof?

My '05 Horton is the same way. When I'm walking on the roof, I can feel the panels moving a little and it does not look visually flat. But like you said, no leaks. I would say they're correct, does it shrink back if you put it under a tree or under a roof?

Have you ever been under a metal roof building in the sun? You can hear it creaking and popping as the sun expands it and then again in the evening as it's cooling. I'd imagine it's the same thing.
trinket
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2021-06-24 9:16 AM (#173982 - in reply to #173980)

I haven'tbeen up on it, just considering purchasing. It is very visibly warped and wondering if this could cause future problems or if this is typical. Since it was built before Universal took over I'm thinking it should be a pretty solid trailer. 
Cutter1999
Reg. Jan 2017
Posted 2021-06-25 7:31 AM (#173985 - in reply to #173980)

Veteran

I have 1999 Featherlite stock trailer, that I have owned for about 10 years, and have lived in the South the last 7 years. The trailer is kept outside and the roof shows no signs of warping. We previously owned a 2003 Featherlite 8587 LQ trailer, that we bought here in the South used, and had no warping of the roof. We currently also own a 2014 Featherlite LQ trailer, that we bought out of Canada, and see no issues with the roof.

We have had other trailers too, all kept outside, and have never had an aluminum roof warp. Logically, I would think a warped roof would have to be repaired, as it would at the minimum cause leaks, and maximum could affect the structural integrity of the trailer.
ThreeCW
Reg. Apr 2014
Posted 2021-06-25 8:36 AM (#173986 - in reply to #173980)

Veteran

We have experience with a 2002 Wilson stock trailer, 2005 Exciss stock trailer and 2008 Kiefer 3H ... all had aluminum roofs ... none had experienced any roof warping problems.

If you are seeing a warped roof on this trailer, what other problems might be occurring? Unless you can buy this trailer at a DEEP discount to the market, you might want to consider another trailer.

Note - the seams being resealed at some point might not be a good sign ... likely not preventative maintenance but likely done to fix a leak.
RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2021-07-01 7:52 AM (#174004 - in reply to #173980)

Elite Veteran

Depending on what exactly you mean by warped. It is not uncommon to see some ripples in an aluminum roof as it expands and contracts with temperature. A taut skin roof in the winter, won't be as much so in the summer. As to reseal, it seems as UV is worse now more than ever as we see the factory recommended sealants having a 2-5 year lifespan nowadays- so that it has been sealed may just be attention to maintenance. 
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)