'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Rain Rot?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-02-16 2:55 PM
15 replies, 5047 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Anne0135
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-02-12 8:29 AM (#36992)
Subject: Rain Rot?

Regular

Ok, all............what is this?? What started off as a quarter size "sore" from a halter ended up becoming THIS! It's been very rainy here. The white you see is the cream I'm using to treat it with (Mycatin (sp?) 2%, actually. My friend told me it works wonders for this but she hasnt seen it. I just told her what  I thought it was and sent her a picture this am.)

What do you think it is and what would you do to treat it? Oh wait. I cant upload an image. Does anyone know how I can upload an image?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-02-12 8:36 AM (#36993 - in reply to #36992)
Subject: RE: Rain Rot?

Elite Veteran

If you can get it in your area, there is a cattle wormer called TBZ paste that my vet uses, sometimes in conjunction with Noxzema of all things. But...it has worked wonders for me on a variety of skin issues over the years, rain rot among them. There is an anti-fungal in the TBZ paste that will kill the "bugs", the Noxzema (or store brand of same if you're cheap like me) is to help it stay on the skin better and has some antiseptic properties besides.  Desytin or zinc oxide can also work well on rain rot. Good luck!

Edited by terri s 2006-02-12 8:38 AM
MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-02-12 8:41 AM (#36995 - in reply to #36992)

Extreme Veteran

I would suspect ringworm more than rain rot with your horse. Ringworm is a fungal infection and can spread very quickly.  Best to have it diagnosed by your veterinarian to begin proper treatment. It can be very contagious to other horses so best not to share halters or brushes.
Anne0135
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-02-12 12:29 PM (#37002 - in reply to #36995)

Regular

Darn, this is supposed to display my photos of Red's face. Is it working? :)

Anne

Edited by Anne0135 2006-02-12 12:35 PM
Anne0135
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-02-12 12:43 PM (#37006 - in reply to #36993)

Regular

Terri, thanks.  Do I need a perscription to get it? This months Horse Illustrated mentions Mineral oil and zinc oxide. The did a whole thing on rain rot. Isn't that timely and considerate? ;)

I believe it with the Noxema. Heck,  I'm using the stuff for Atheletes foot now! (Which I had to go out and buy thank you, we dont have it laying around the house.) Put the word "horse" in the name and immediately add $25.00 so I always substitute human products whenever I can.

I understand most people use M*T*G, which I also don't have but can pretty easily buy. Anyone want to see the photos? (Yeahhhhhh!) I cant seem to get this link to work. I'd be happy to send it via e-mail. (sweet smile.

Anne

Anne0135
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-02-12 12:46 PM (#37007 - in reply to #36995)

Regular

farmbabe,

Hmmm. Let's not jump to conclusions. Especially expensive ones! I'm a big fan of better safe than sorry but ringworm? I dont know. You think my vet will look at the pictures so I dont have to bring the whole horse!?

By the way, it hasnt spread to my mare yet and seems to not be spreading now that I am treating it. But still I need to know what I is.

hconley
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2006-02-12 1:15 PM (#37009 - in reply to #36992)

Extreme Veteran

If you want to learn more about Rain Rot seek out Dermatophilosis at http://www.showhorsepromotions.com/rainrot.htm this article was written by Mark Crisman DVM, Virginia Tech university veterinarian. I think you have ringworm, but be careful, humans can get it from horses too. 

Edited by hconley 2006-02-12 1:19 PM
Beth
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-02-12 1:22 PM (#37010 - in reply to #36992)

Veteran

Hi Anne

even w/o seeing it my guess would be Ringworm also.  I usually starts in a circular pattern.  You can use most any skin health care product, I don't know about the Noxema suggestion.  Just plain iodine scrubbed in with an old toothbrush twice a day will do it.  I have used that successfully myself.  Also a product called "Eqysss Micro Tek Equine Spray" did an excellent job on a case of rainrot that my mare had.  State Line Tack has it, it works well on scratches and girth itch too.  Good luck!  keep us informed!

Anne0135
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-02-12 1:30 PM (#37012 - in reply to #37009)

Regular

hconley, I think you may be right. Can you check out the pictures? http://www.fotothing.com/Anne0135 password: red.

If so, it sounds like from your article I'm treating 1/2 right. It says to treat it with bleach and water (1:10)and miconazole. Which is the same as micatin.  http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/medmaster/a601203.html At least that's the active ingredient. I can go to the Horsemans supply and get the shampoo. Anything in particular that you (or anyone) recommend?

Only problem, It is right near his eye! I dont like putting bleach that close to his eyes.

Anne0135
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-02-12 1:35 PM (#37014 - in reply to #37010)

Regular

Beth, hi and thanks. :) I first put on betadine and then the micadin (or however it's spelled.)  Do you think I can use the betadine or do I have to use straight iodine?

Damn. Anything I can buy local since it would take Stateline a few days to get it to me?

It's always something!!!

Ok, all I think you are right it's ringworm. Feel free to look at those pictures!  isnt it beautiful? (ugh.)

MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-02-12 7:09 PM (#37032 - in reply to #36992)

Extreme Veteran

With all of the things you are buying and applying to your horse, your best and safest bet is to contact a veterinarian and listen to his thoughts and suggestions on your horse's current condition. Rainrot treatment expensive? Hardly compared to not treating what really needs to be treated properly and effectively.  However without actually seeing your horse in person,(your pictures are really hard to decipher) he cannot give you an exact diagnosis for you. He may offer a over the counter antifungal spray and/or cream for your horse. Using the bleach and Miconazole ointment sounds extreme, especially so close to your horse's eye. Don't risk creating more problems by diagnosing this yourself on this board. While others on here can suggest helpful remedies, call your vet.

Edited by MIfarmbabe 2006-02-12 7:12 PM
kickshaw44
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-02-13 10:29 AM (#37075 - in reply to #36992)

Regular

Hi Anne,

I am also in GA, and we battle the stuff every year. The best thing that I have found to combat it is the original Listerine formula (the gold stuff that tastes awful). Just squirt (or rub) some on the infected area and scratch away at some of the surface crud. (2-3 times a week) For some reason, the listerine kills the fungus. The only laborious part of this method is that you have to scratch away at the built up crud.... a little time consuming, but it has worked every time for me! Good Luck.

santelikk
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-02-13 2:32 PM (#37108 - in reply to #36992)

Regular

My fiance' horse gets that same thing quite a bit too.  We use a fungus spray, and when it gets by the eyes we just spray some on a paper towel and wipe on that way.  Ususally after several days of use the stuff goes away.
Anne0135
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-02-13 3:19 PM (#37114 - in reply to #37108)

Regular

sante, did you see the pictures? Same thing? I hope so.

At any rate, I took the pictures to the vet today since I didnt have access to a trailer so she just said bring your computer so I did. She said it's a fungus, either rain rot or ringworm, hard to tell but what I was doing was the right treatment. (Betadine, etc.) She told me to go buy an Iodine shampoo to really get it out at the drugstore but since she didnt charge me for the visit I bought the vet shampoo which she said would definately work. (At $26.00 it better! Might was well just go to a sure thing instead of screwing around.) It's called Equitaine Plus. Anyway, a friend is also going to give me funga-something tomorrow.

I pray this takes care of it. It doesnt look like its spreading (although it did spread from horse to horse) but it SEEMS under control. I hate this stuff. So I'm treating it everyday with the shampoo, fungacide and I'm going to finish using the small tube of micotin since that is the active ingredient in most solutions to treat ringworm. Still not sure which one it is but it's one or the other.

Thank you all for your help and advice. Still listening to anything anyone has to add or say.

Anne

Anne0135
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-02-13 3:25 PM (#37115 - in reply to #37075)

Regular

Hey, kickshaw! Nice to meet another Souther person. :) I use the listerine. In fact it's in my Endure bottle (fly spray) I use it for face fungus they can get in the summer. The just love being sprayed with that stuff, as you know.

There are so many things down here that get into these horses. It's a whole new world of wormers and issues. But what the heck. I dont know what would happen if I added listerine to this mix but it's a great fallback for general fungus. I'm pretty sure this is ringworm since it did spread to my mare. (He was rubbing his head more than usual on her head last week. I thought it was just because she was in heat!) At any rate, pray for me. There are some monster bugs down here! They have to be stopped! ;) Thanks for your vote of confidence.

Anne

Horse Crazy
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-02-16 2:55 PM (#37359 - in reply to #37114)

Regular

Hi Anne,

I have an older mare that gets it every year in the spring. I bathe her with an antifungal shampoo and it clears it right up. I think last year I did have to bathe her twice with the shampoo, but it usually only takes one good bath. Just follow the directions carefully. GOOD LUCK

Jo Anne
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)