'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Covered Arenas

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-11-13 12:25 PM
8 replies, 3764 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

3horsemama
Reg. Jan 2010
Posted 2006-05-23 7:39 PM (#42177)
Subject: Covered Arenas

New User

We are considering putting in a covered arena, we are tired of not being able to ride 4-5 months a year while it rains. We are wondering what people like and don't like about the actual covers. Have any of you ever put up a Cover-all fabric cover?? I think metal roofs may be noisy and hot, but cheaper. Wood roofs have a nicer look and last a long time. Any suggestions???16
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
robdnorm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-05-23 10:27 PM (#42185 - in reply to #42177)
Subject: RE: Covered Arenas

Extreme Veteran

Be ready to invest in insulation if you go with the metal arena.  I have seen some really nice wood frames with a metal roof that were relatively quiet in the rain.  They had a partial open side on them to allow some air to flow through.  Of course, in TN we don't have really harsh winters, so it is not as much of an issue with needing to be completely enclosed. 
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-05-23 11:41 PM (#42190 - in reply to #42177)

Our barn is a wood pole with metal roof, 16 foot clearance so that we can ride in it.  However, we didn't put the insulation in and sometimes it rains inside (condensation).  If you do this type of cover, just be aware of the wind and rain patterns.  You might be able to do a roof struction with just one side walled.  There are numoeropus books on arenas and barns.  The one I love but can't afford is a round barn with the track on the inside wall and the stalls in the middle.  Its in "Complete Plans for Buidling Horse Barns Big and Small."  Good luck and happy trails.
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-05-24 8:34 AM (#42200 - in reply to #42177)

Expert

We bulit a Farm-tec covered arena 2 yrs ago. Its smaller than most arenas 40x 100. But i ride alone and it does the job. I can turn out the horse in the arena when the weather is bad, free longe them and of course, ride in it. Its 18' at the peak and has two 12' doors. Its warmer in the winter but does get hotter inside in the summer. I like it alot. At the time, it was pretty reasonable too- we put in about7 K after adding a rail. The prices are more now.
kickshaw44
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-05-25 8:55 AM (#42239 - in reply to #42177)

Regular

We have an arena that is the small regulation dressage size covered at our barn. The arches are steel and the roof is metal of some kind. When it is raining REALLY hard, it can get a little loud...but with regular rain it is not so bad - one thing that I really like about the covered arena is that in the summer it is a lot cooler to ride in there when compared to our outdoor arena. Also, in the wintertime the ground does not get frozen as easily as the outdoor arena does. We have halogen lights, a sprinkler system all the way around, and railroad ties for a rail. The arena is surrounded by a fast growing bush (don't know the name, but like leland cypress (6ft+)) so it is like the whole thing is enclosed (except for where we enter/exit) I'd say it is a good 30+ feet tall.  If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to answer, or I can provide pics if you like.

Edited to Add: It was not cheep - I think around 75K or so (with the price of steel as high as it is)

Good Luck!

Edited by kickshaw44 2006-05-25 8:58 AM
dwnsouth
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-05-30 9:15 PM (#42424 - in reply to #42177)

Regular

I am in the south and I had a clearspan barn built by a local pipe shop using drill stem pipe and metal roofing.  If I had not put stalls inside it would have been more than suitable to ride inside the structure and I could have made it even more arena like by not enclosing the sides.  It would have been just a cleaspan roof then and I debated on going that way but opted for more use out of the barn versus the arena.  It was 30 by 60 by 14 high and cost me 10,200.  I could have went up to 50 wide and however long I wished.   
cat_nap_2
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2006-11-04 9:48 AM (#51090 - in reply to #42177)

we have been looking to build a horse barn and an arena for a long time.  We have checked with many builders on quality and warranty.   Of all the people we have talked to  the one we liked the best for the money was Morton buildings.  They are professional in all fields (arenas, barns, homes), and they will work with you in what you are looking for.  Yes they do insulate riding arenas.  Everyone that I've talked to and have gone to look at their buildings told me they would of not traded it for anything else.  They will even replace damage siding at no cost to you.  A 48 by 60 steel rafters with a nine stall barn including a feed tack, wash bay, tie out, and bathroom with nine door on the side and two 13 foot doors on each end would run 30,000 erected.  For another 10,000 they will do all the inside.   They have other packages for less money , but if made by Morton you will get you money worth non-the-less.  Hope it helps  
Cloud9
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-11-10 5:00 PM (#51351 - in reply to #42177)

Extreme Veteran

It'd be worthwhile to check the local lummber yard and ag stores. When we were buildinga small stable/barn the best prices and service was from the local lumber yard. They have a part Amish crew that did a great job fast. Then the MFA store in Kirksville, gave us the name of a local man who finished the inside. He custom built the stalls. I bought the lumber that he specified and did the steel upper dividers and installed everything. He gave us the name of a nearby Mennonite luber yard that had some 1 1/4" Plywood for the outside walls. They cut them to our measurement and the walls went up pretty easily.

All in all, it cost less than one of the big outfits that advertise a lot. It's worth checking out.
terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-11-13 12:25 PM (#51424 - in reply to #42177)

Elite Veteran

Wow-Morton buildings wanted $30,000 to build me a 24x36 three stall barn in 1994 and that was with ME doing the concrete and building stalls. Needless to say I did not go that route. Farmbabe-how are you liking your Farmtek covered arena? I've been eyeballing those for about a year now, haven't taken the plunge. Would you go bigger next time? Do you have the pony walls or straight to the ground?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)