'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Condensation or a leak?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-11-23 12:38 PM
9 replies, 4817 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Wendy
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2006-11-22 9:18 AM (#51782)
Subject: Condensation or a leak?

We have an all steel trailer that we have had for 2 years now with never any trouble. Two weeks ago we went on a trip only to discover while setting up camp that our mattress and all our bedding was soaked. All the moisture seemed to be coming from the bottom up, not from any leak that we could see from the ceiling. The paneling under the windows was wharped and moldy in spots.

We got it dried out by the time we went to bed, but by morning my husband noticed that the carpet on his side of the bed was wet again.

We got home, got the mattress out, which will have to be replaced because of mold, and got the trailer dried out again. My husband looked over the trailer and caulked anything that he thought could possibly be a source of a leak.

It rained yesterday so I thought I would go out today and take a look. IT IS SOAKED AGAIN!

Could this much moisture be coming from condensation, or do we have a leak somewhere that we just can't find?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-11-22 11:02 AM (#51787 - in reply to #51782)
Subject: RE: Condensation or a leak?

Elite Veteran

No I think you have a good leak somewere...one thing I have done is,if you have an air compressor,apply soapy water to the outside of windows,seams,etc and blow from the inside with the air hose.If your lucky bubbles will show up where any leaks are.

I have also used a leak detection fluid in water,when applied it will show up under a ultraviolet lamp(black lite)

Also make sure it is dry and have someone spray water on a spot at a time while you look for leaks.

Sometimes a leak will start somewere else and run down to the easiest spot to drain.

SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-11-22 11:10 AM (#51790 - in reply to #51782)

Elite Veteran

For instance...My new LQ trailer leaked water on a side compartment,I assumed it was the seal and tightened the door....wrong....there was a neat crome and rubber strip that ran along the side and under it was a seam.......well it wasn't sealed and water leaked past it and into the compartment under the feed manger.

I removed the fancy and sealed the seam with silicone.Then replaced the strip.No more leaks.Look at everything and don't assume anything like I did.

clow
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-11-22 12:04 PM (#51794 - in reply to #51782)

Regular

I had the same problem with my 2002 Trailswest trailer. My leak was coming from a seam where the roof meets the walls of the trailer. The roof overlapped the walls so it looked like the water would run off, we sealed it anyway and presto the leak was one. I'm learning that each spring, I check all the seams to make sure the silicone has survived the winter in good shape. Good luck to you! Hope this helps.
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-11-22 2:28 PM (#51801 - in reply to #51782)

Expert

Hi Wendy ...

From my experience, the amount of water you're describing is a leak.  I would suggest after looking at the roof, look at the windows.  Some windows have a scupper to drain any water that gets into the channels.  If the scupper is clogged, the water overflows inside the trailer.  The other path is the top of the window frame channel.

PS ... Silicon is good but polyurethane is a better caulk choice.

Wendy
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2006-11-23 7:26 AM (#51822 - in reply to #51782)

Thanks hosspuller,

Steve is going to work on it some more this weekend. Feel free to come by and take a look. An extra set of eyes never hurt.

I want to get it fixed so we can get back on the road. I hate thinking we won't be able to go anywhere until this is fixed.

Wendy
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-11-23 8:25 AM (#51825 - in reply to #51782)

Expert

Originally written by Wendy on 2006-11-22 9:18 AM

We have an all steel trailer that we have had for 2 years now with never any trouble. Two weeks ago we went on a trip only to discover while setting up camp that our mattress and all our bedding was soaked. All the moisture seemed to be coming from the bottom up, not from any leak that we could see from the ceiling. The paneling under the windows was wharped and moldy in spots.

We got it dried out by the time we went to bed, but by morning my husband noticed that the carpet on his side of the bed was wet again.

We got home, got the mattress out, which will have to be replaced because of mold, and got the trailer dried out again. My husband looked over the trailer and caulked anything that he thought could possibly be a source of a leak.

It rained yesterday so I thought I would go out today and take a look. IT IS SOAKED AGAIN!

Could this much moisture be coming from condensation, or do we have a leak somewhere that we just can't find?

If it leaked WHILE STANDING STILL, but apparently from the bottom up, I'd guess you don't just have a leak, but a major HOLE somewhere. You might be able to figure out where it is if you know the direction of the prevailing wind - you know which way the trailer was parked at the time.
Your problem could even be a piece of weatherstrip that has come adrift and actually left the scene, so you might not even notice that it is gone (-:
Check around all doors, access hatches, etc.
AbbyB
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-11-23 9:30 AM (#51831 - in reply to #51782)

Veteran

My guess is going to be leaking around your windows.  I had a steel trailer years ago that did that...& can't remember what the one previous poster called it, but was in that area.  I was told to drill "weep holes" in the metal rim around the windows so that when they filled up w/water, they would drain thru & stay OUTSIDE the trailer, instead of welling up & going inside.
cowby
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2006-11-23 12:37 PM (#51837 - in reply to #51782)

Did it rain within a few days of you using it? Or go through a car wash? If so, probably a leak. If not, then could be condenstion.

Cowby

cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-11-23 12:38 PM (#51838 - in reply to #51831)

Extreme Veteran

I have a 95 Charmac steele gooseneck trailer with sealed tack area... it has a leak, I believe at the edge of the window seam. Man was it ever wet in there... my mattress was soaked on one side, even the floor was wet, which had a bit of hay scraps on it (now moldy). What a big mess. I can't see any holes anywhere and there are no vents, so I think it's the window seam on one side. I caulked and covered with a tarp for a temporary solution. I am waiting for a dry day (I am near seattle and it's winter - not too many dry days) I also noticed the trailer does collect a LOT of condensation, both in the gooseneck tack area and in the horse area. What do you do about that?   I put in one of those little humidifiers and am hoping that helps. I don't think I can safely leave anything in that trailer over the winter if this continues. That's disappointing because I don't have my own barn to store stuff.

Edited by cowgirl98034 2006-11-23 12:40 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)