'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Used aluminum combo trailer v. new Calico or Ponderosa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-11-23 8:16 AM
11 replies, 7537 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

sswdrff
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2006-11-18 5:50 PM (#51664)
Subject: Used aluminum combo trailer v. new Calico or Ponderosa

Would you folks comment on alum. combo trailers holding up? Problems with rain coming in? How hard is it to put in a dressing room? I may tackle this myself [female w-power tools].

Or, would you go out and buy a new Calico or Ponderosa for about the same money?

Thanks for your comments.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-11-19 10:16 AM (#51678 - in reply to #51664)
Subject: RE: Used aluminum combo trailer v. new Calico or Ponderosa

Extreme Veteran

A well built aluminum in my eyes is the way to go.  Galvaneal and steel trailors will start rusting the first year you have them. It's a constant battle with rust where I live near the coast. You should be able to find a aluminum combo with a dressing room at a good price.  Aluminum trailers do hold there value better than steel. Use the search function on this site to help research your question. I got ride of my last trailer that was all steal because it was a rust bucket in 5 years. So if you financed it for 7 years you wouldn't have much of a trailer left when it was paid for. You would have to go out and buy another one.

SaddleSore
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2006-11-20 10:20 AM (#51717 - in reply to #51664)

Regular

Search this site for Calico,you'll find complaints about the paint coming off.

SaddleSore

ASJ
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2006-11-20 4:11 PM (#51727 - in reply to #51664)

Veteran

Hi, an aluminum trailer is definitely better than a Calico or Ponderosa. (will not rust, and will hold it's value). The Calico and Ponderosa trailers are very inexpensive steel trailers. If you look close at a new trailer on the dealer's lot you will see rust. If you want a steel trailer "PLEASE" step up to a better made steel trailer if you can afford it, you will be happier in the long run. If these trailers are in your price range and you can't afford a little better trailer, buy caulking and caulk all your seams to keep the moisture out of the seams. This may help a little, rust usually starts in the seams.

Good Luck

sswdrff
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2006-11-20 5:15 PM (#51728 - in reply to #51664)

Thanks for your reply.

What manufacturers do you think are steps up from Calico and Ponderosa?  Does Adam or CM fall into the better range?

And how can a person efficiently find out these things?

hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-11-20 6:15 PM (#51729 - in reply to #51664)

Expert

Yes.
Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-11-20 6:41 PM (#51731 - in reply to #51664)

Extreme Veteran

I still say your best beat is to hold off and buy an aluminum trailer.  All of the steels are gonna rust.  It's just a matter of time. Hounddog is living proof a deal can be had from time to time if you look hard enough and don't get in a hurry. This time of the year is perfect for getting a deal. If you have to have a trailer get a used steel at a cheap price. Us it for a couple of years until you can afford an aluminum trailer.

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2006-11-20 10:22 PM (#51737 - in reply to #51664)

Expert

I have had several steel trailers,only alum.one is our LQ.I had had a mid 90's Ponderosa with very little rust,it had sat outside before I got it.Also 2 WW's,I now have a 1997 S&H with very little rust.It was kept inside,however,and still is.Also have a Delta stock that was repainted when I got it,mainly because they'd scratched the fire out of it.(Looks like they drove it through the jungles or something.)Steel will definately rust,if you can park it under an overhang or keep it in a shed it will last much longer.Not everyone can do that,though.They do make covers for trailers.If I had the choice and could afford either,aluminum would be the way to go,though.
sswdrff
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2006-11-20 11:50 PM (#51741 - in reply to #51731)

Thanks for all your replies.

I guess I'll start wading into aluminum waters [sorry--it's late].

Any companies to avoid/recommend?

Such a newbie.

ASJ
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2006-11-21 6:58 AM (#51748 - in reply to #51664)

Veteran

Hi, it's me again... Alum. is definitely the best choice, but CM is one of the better steel trailers. I've never looked at an Adams steel trailer, I didn't know Adams made a steel trailer. But they do make a descent alum trailer. Try the search on HTW and look for an affordable Alum trailer. If you are not in a big hurry, take your time and I am sure you will find the perfect trailer for you. If you live in an area that uses salt on the road in the winter or an area near the ocean, steel is not a good choice. But if you live in a dry climate with less salt in the air, steel will do just fine, especially if you can get one at a (Steal)..

Again, Good Luck

AbbyB
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-11-23 7:36 AM (#51823 - in reply to #51664)

Veteran

Just one more word of advice...if you're looking at used aluminum trailers, be sure to ck the floor THOROUGHLY, since the are famous for pitting.  You don't EVEN want to have to deal w/replacing an aluminum floor. (cost
calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-11-23 8:16 AM (#51824 - in reply to #51664)

Elite Veteran

Dear trailer shopper... do yourself a  favor and step up to a CM steel in good shape or a used aluminum ... sometimes you can get a  gooseneck for not a whole lot more than a bumper pull (and it would be more stable and easier to park).

old Sundowner bumper pulls are like gold, though... good luck! don't just look at the paint.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)