'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Picket Line "How-To" Info?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-09-09 4:55 PM
9 replies, 8955 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

TrishC
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-09-06 9:08 PM (#67368)
Subject: Picket Line "How-To" Info?

I've been reading and reading about picket lines, but I don't quite understand how to set one up. We recently went camping at Fort Valley (in VA) with our horses and kept them in a corral there, but for future occasions and different places, may have to end up using a picket line at some point in the future. Can someone give me some basic "beginner" instructions on how to set up a good SAFE picket line?

Thanks!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
martyg
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-09-06 9:26 PM (#67372 - in reply to #67368)
Subject: RE: Picket Line "How-To" Info?

Veteran

Try this site for some really good information about highlines and how to rig them.  You dont need any expensive equipment to do this.

http://pkrigerjr.tripod.com/highline.html

TrishC
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-09-06 11:22 PM (#67382 - in reply to #67368)

So what do I need to put together a good picket line "kit" without spending a fortune?

Thanks! :)
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2007-09-06 11:54 PM (#67383 - in reply to #67368)

Expert

A bare minimum will be your good highline rope, tree savers, and a way to fasten your horses to the highline.  You can use rope loops, ready made highline assembly rings (I have stainless steel ones that swivel), or a cinch ring at each tie off location.  It is imperative that the horse have a swivel action somewhere in his tie, as in his circling about he will wind up and shorten his tie far too much otherwise.  I have also used a come-along to tighten the highline after I have tied it off as tight as I can just standing there on my mounting step......I have tied off to a tree with a feedsack folded under the highline rope, and tied the other end to the hay rack and pulled up to tighten.  Quick and just pull up more if needed, but guaranteed to keep you jostled about all night as the animal(s) move, feed etc.  It is also important to tie the animals some distance from each other, and from anything hanging down from the highline, such as a hay bag.  They will wrap the hangdown around their tie and get quite wrapped up, and this is really to be avoided.  Also, keep an inexpensive knife hanging out of the reach of kids at the highline, in case of emergencies....The website listed above has excellent drawings and descriptions with great advice etc.
MichaelD
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2007-09-07 6:27 AM (#67393 - in reply to #67368)

Regular

Here is another site with a wealth of camping info.

http://www.american-flex.com/Horse%20Camping.htm

Mike

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2007-09-07 9:46 AM (#67402 - in reply to #67382)

Expert

A good length of rope. 50-70 feet  I like the 1/2" mountain climbing  or marine braided yatch rope

Some 2-3" wide Nylon webing ( an old seat belt) to use as a tree saver. An old cinch works well for this.

I have some No-Knot rings and I use the Prussic Loop for the drops.

Rules of Seven are:

Hang the high line 7 feet high,

Tie the horses 7 feet apart

Use a 17 inch drop.   although the horse will not be able to feed on ground or lay down with a 17" drop.  Just make sure your lead is short enough the horse can't get a foot over it. i.e scratching his chin with back hoof is a sure fire way to get rope burn on back hock.

It's nice to have some way to tighten the highline. I guarantee that you can't pull it tighter than your horses can pull on it. Hence you get it up nice and tight, tie a horse on and immediately it's loose and sags.  Two  pullies that are sized correctly for your rope make pulling it tight a breeze. I bought two very light weight Rescue pullies from REI. They are made from Aluminum and very light weight. Easy to pack  Other devices like come alongs etc will work if you already one use it. But I find they are too heavy and bulky to pack into the back country.

NorCal
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-09-07 1:26 PM (#67414 - in reply to #67368)

Pete Kreigers' web page is good info.  I know him from the Back Country Horsemen of California.  What he shows is right on target for "how to".  There are numerous kits on the market or you can build your own using ropes others have suggested with treesavers (very important).  A new product just out is "The Clip" which is a cast aluminum hook affair with a tensioner that you can place a 5/8" rope through and allpy tension in case you have a horse that pulls back when tied.  My wife just bout 4 of these for our horses along with various length rope and metal ring affairs that you connect to the highline and use the clip with.  I believe the website is http:www.theclip.com.  These aren't cheap, but good and will work off you trailer ties to a tree for a highline.  For other back country info and links to backcountry suppliers access the Back Country Horsemen of America webpage at www.backcountyhorse.com.   Also, take a look at www.outfitterssupply.com, or http://www.wyomingoutdoor.com/ as they have some pretty slick items too.

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2007-09-08 8:51 AM (#67453 - in reply to #67414)

Expert

Back country Horse is an excellent website for shopping another one is Sonoma Mountain Pack Station.  They cater mostly to packers and have excellent products.

http://www.sonomamountainpack.com/index.php

They don't show a highline kit. But they do sell the tree savers, No-Knots and other part seperately.

Rockinghorserun
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-09-09 1:25 PM (#67509 - in reply to #67368)

Veteran

If you want a complete kit for under $70.00 go to www.trailerhitchboss.com.  The rope ratchet is really nice.  You can pull the rope really tight and readjust anytime easily.

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-09-09 4:55 PM (#67530 - in reply to #67402)

Expert

scratching his chin with back hoof is a sure fire way to get rope burn on back hock.

My husbands mare just did that.  I tied her up, turned around to see what my dog was barking at and when I turned back around she was scratching her nose.  Before I could get the rope untied she tried to put her foot down and burned herself and almost fell. 

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)