'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Ceiling or wall covering in a DIY LQ

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-11-30 3:01 PM
12 replies, 8496 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

barrelsnpcs
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-11-27 10:22 PM (#71944)
Subject: Ceiling or wall covering in a DIY LQ

Veteran

I saw some vinyl floor covering today that is called soft step. It's basically vinyl flooring with a foam backing. Why couldn't you glue it to hardboard and use it for the ceiling or wall in a living quarters? Is there any reason you can think of that this wouldn't work? I saw some that looked like leather. It's pretty neat. Do you guys think this would work?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-11-28 2:26 AM (#71950 - in reply to #71944)
Subject: RE: Ceiling or wall covering in a DIY LQ

Expert

Originally written by barrelsnpcs on 2007-11-27 10:22 PM

I saw some vinyl floor covering today that is called soft step. It's basically vinyl flooring with a foam backing. Why couldn't you glue it to hardboard and use it for the ceiling or wall in a living quarters? Is there any reason you can think of that this wouldn't work? I saw some that looked like leather. It's pretty neat. Do you guys think this would work?

Noooo.....Because you'd keep falling down everytime you tried to walk on it...

Gravity...

barrelsnpcs
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-11-28 7:54 AM (#71958 - in reply to #71950)

Veteran

Originally written by PaulChristenson on 2007-11-28 2:26 AM

Originally written by barrelsnpcs on 2007-11-27 10:22 PM

Noooo.....Because you'd keep falling down everytime you tried to walk on it...

Gravity...

What kind of answer is that???  Are you saying that it won't work because it will be too heavy to stay up after you glue it to the hardboard?  Please translate,.....

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-11-28 8:25 AM (#71960 - in reply to #71944)

Expert

Make sure that any glue you use won't soften when heated. A closed up camper roof can reach a pretty high temperature.

There's no gravity on your ceiling

BOL  Gard

Hank
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2007-11-28 8:31 AM (#71962 - in reply to #71944)

Veteran

Sorry barrels, that's just Paul's obtuse sense of humor scraping for material.  Dintcha hear, the funny writers are on strike?

Sure, your plan would work, but it seems like a lot of work for the effect.  Would using a different medium, such as a cloth or an ultrasuede type material glued to hardboard be less expensive and easier to work with?  We looked at a trailer just last month that had oak wainscoting on the bottom and a faux leather material applied to the walls above that.  Was very cool.

barntoys4mom
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2007-11-28 8:44 AM (#71966 - in reply to #71944)

Veteran

It sounds like a neat alternative for the walls and they would be easier to clean than ultra sued or some sort of cloth. Wipe down, dust free. Lows and Home Depot carry a great looking faux leather panel, but it’s only about 40 inches by 36 inches and runs around $30 per sheet and scratches very easy. You could also use a decorative "nail head" found in upholstery shops to give it a finishing touch (or help the clue hold it up!). I'd skip trying it for the ceiling, too risky! Let us know how it works, might try it myself, need to finish off a wall!

barrelsnpcs
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-11-28 8:50 AM (#71968 - in reply to #71944)

Veteran

Hank, this stuff looks like suede leather. It has a matte finish to it. It's vinyl and you could wipe it off. I don't see how it would be any more trouble to install than the material you are talking about.  Unless, like mentioned, it would be too heavy to stay up after it is glued to the hardboard. I'm just looking for ideas and like the look of the stuff.

How was the material you described installed? Was it not glued to hardboard first, then the board was attached to the ceiling?

Thanks for your reply.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-11-28 9:01 AM (#71970 - in reply to #71944)

Expert

You can easily glue most materials to a luan plywood and then mechanically fasten that to the ceiling ribs and stringers. This would work on the walls as well. You shouldn't have a weight problem.

BOL  Gard

Hank
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2007-11-28 9:19 AM (#71972 - in reply to #71968)

Veteran

Originally written by barrelsnpcs on 2007-11-28 8:50 AM

How was the material you described installed? Was it not glued to hardboard first, then the board was attached to the ceiling?

Thanks for your reply.

Ok, this is hard to describe, so bear with me.  It was clearly done in sections, and from what I could tell, the fabric was pulled around the edges of whatever material the panels were made of and glued/stapled to the back of the panel.  Now, the facing surface had some type of batting (thin foam?) under the fabric, then that was bordered with a rough rope that was stapled up, giving the fabric an upholstered look.  So, imagine the panels were 3' wide by 4' tall.  The rope was inset from that, say 6" from the perimeter all the way around - gave the impression of a big picture frame.  This was particularily striking because this trailer had no upper cabinets, and this really caught your eye.

Make sense? 

Edited by Hank 2007-11-28 9:42 AM
wyndancer
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-11-28 4:28 PM (#72008 - in reply to #71972)

Extreme Veteran

Seen it done. They purchase the fabric that has the foam attached to the covering. They way I saw it done was the ceiling furred dwon, then plywood or OSB screwed to the furring. Then they took 1/8", or maybe 1/4",  luan plywood fit the panels to size allowing gap for the wrap. Then they used the plastic "fir tree" panel posts...like they use on car door panels, to hold the panel up.

So they fit the panel, drill the holes for the "fir trees", cover the panels with fabric, and then install the panels with a bump with the heel of your palm. Long term? Don't know. Looks cool though.

I would care for it in a horse trailer though, seems it would be easy to poke a hole in.

richard57
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-11-28 7:47 PM (#72020 - in reply to #71944)

richard57
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-11-28 7:57 PM (#72021 - in reply to #71944)

The answer to your question is yes it will with the right glue. You will need to go to your local cabinet shop or if there is a Web-Don close to you they carry what you need. It is a sprayable contact cement that is used just for this. Install a simular product called soft touch and that is what i use. It comes in spray cans or by the gallon. It is expense so be ready when they tell you the price. I have installed it on ceilings has well as walls. You will need a hand to do the ceiling has it is the hardest to do. Spray both the fabric and hardboard and let them dry to a tacky feel then install, make sure you have it where you want though has once it makes contact it is stuck there, it will not fall down even with a summer's heat inside the trailer. I have installed alot of this on ceilings and walls and not one call back in 10 years. Hope this helps.
halfpint23
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2007-11-30 3:01 PM (#72154 - in reply to #71944)

Veteran

Did exactly this with an oak-plank pattern vinyl flooring in the nose of our big gooseneck Trail-et. This trailer, as in most of the earlier Trail-et brand, has a steel skin and is fully insulated in the walls in the front (tack room, now overnighter LQ) so there's a perfect smooth base to glue the vinyl to. The original wooden 3/16 paneling had been water damaged due to a leak of long standing in the front window. I had to pull and clean and reseal all the windows anyhow, so decided to redo the walls while I was at it. Get the RV "sticky tape" on a roll to reset the windows, that stuff is OUTSTANDING. The vinyl comes 12 ft wide, so a couple of three-foot cuts did the whole nose with the planks pattern running up and down - looks GREAT, like real wood strip paneling without the hassle or weight (or splinters :) ). Best part is, it matches the oak cabinets I had standing around that I used for the galley part. With new vinyl flooring (on the floor) and pad and carpet in the GN, it's shaping up nicely. I'm thinking I'll glue in some insulation on the overhead (fiberglass roof) and then do a leather-look vinyl headliner job on that, too. Already put in an RV style roof vent, which really made a huge difference in the heat buildup in summer.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)