'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Slide Outs

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-06-13 3:05 PM
7 replies, 6040 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

paintncrazy
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2008-06-11 7:18 PM (#85548)
Subject: Slide Outs

New User

Can I hear what people think about these? Do they stay 'on track'? Problems? Issues? Good reports or otherwise? Thinking about getting one...
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
jim bob
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-06-12 5:08 PM (#85593 - in reply to #85548)
Subject: RE: Slide Outs

Extreme Veteran

sLIDE OUTS have been available for some time now, and the "bugs" have been pretty well eliminated.  The mostly widely used drive mechanism is the ring and pinion drive system that runs from your 12 volt system.  The other type is hydraulic which is quicker and probably a little smoother.  Sundowner is the only major manufacturer that uses hydraulic that I know of.  Slide outs are usually available in 6' thru 12' versions.  The 6' is the most popular, and the big 12', better known as the double or super slide, will allow for both a sofa (hide-a-bed) sleeper and a dinette.  The 6' slide out is used on both 7' and 8' wide trailers.  We have 4 trailer stores in  3 states, and sell a lot of slide out units of several makes of trailers.  We have very few service issues in a years time with them.  They all come with roll out awnings over them; which gets the water off the flat surface on the top of the unit when it is in the out position.  Don't be afraid of a slideout unit; especially from a maufacturer that not only builds the trailer; but installs their own living quarters.  An extended warranty can always be added to any new or used living quarters to protect you down the road (trailers newer than 10 years old).  
brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2008-06-12 9:43 PM (#85608 - in reply to #85548)

I am currently in the market for a 17+ LQ with one or two slides. I have found hydraulic slides offered in the newer Bloomers, 4 Stars, Elites, Harts and Cimarrons. Plus I am sure you can get them in a few others that I did not name. I have had 3 different make of trailers with an electric slide. I won't go there again! The electric slide needs alot more battery to go in then the hydraulic slide. We dry camp in the boonies and would rather pay up front to be able to leave when we need to and not have to hang around waiting on batteries to charge up.
salebit
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2008-06-13 8:54 AM (#85624 - in reply to #85548)

In 1999 we decided against a slideout in a Sundowner trailer. Our fear was what would happen if we got ready to leave it would not work. This year we purchased a Sundowner with a 10' slide and it works like a charm. We travel to a warmer climate with it in the winter months. Our friend had a very bad experience with his Jamco with a slide. During a hunting trip an ice storm kept him from being able to close his slide. They had to chip ice from the top and down both of the sides. So they might become a headache if you camp in colder climates.
HTWOK
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2008-06-13 9:48 AM (#85625 - in reply to #85548)

Regular

We are building at the momment three LQ trailers with single slides and have on order a triple slide out trailer.  Integrity is now using hydrolics in their slide and they are just wonderful.  I can send pictures of the slide if you pm me. 

jdaggy
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2008-06-13 10:32 AM (#85627 - in reply to #85548)

New User

Shadow Trailers too offer slideouts called "Easy Slide". Their slideout is not hydraulic or electric rather it is manual. If you have been in the boonies for several days and not had a chance to recharge your batteries it still works and you can leave right away! "Easy Slide" will add very little weight to your trailer which in todays enviornment of high gas and fuel cost becomes very important. Since the slide guides out on tracks 12 inches off the floor the structural strength integraty of you trailer is maintained. Other manufacturerers who offer slideouts that go all the way to the trailer floor have to strenghten the frame (add weight) to maintain the needed strength. Shadow Trailer offers the "Easy Slide" in 6 ft. and 8 ft. version and a trailer can have one or two slides depending on the floor plan. Shadow has offered their slideouts in the 7 ft and 8 ft wide trailers in the past and is now introducing a 6 ft. "Easy Slide" in their STABLEMATE line of 6 ft wide trailers. These will have an 8.5 ft short walls with a 6 ft. slideout offered in both a 2 horse and 3 horse option. These can be pulled with a 1/2 ton truck! For a closer look go to buyshadow.com.
brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2008-06-13 10:53 AM (#85629 - in reply to #85548)

Jdaggy, how far does the slide in the Shadow actually slide out? I looked at one at the Congress and guesstamated only about 10 inches compared to a full 36 inches on some hydraulic slides. Is Shadow offering several different depths in their slides or is that all the extra floorspace that you get? The added floor space once we arrive is what we are after since we will be spending months at a time living in the trailer with 2 JRT's..... after hubby offically retires for good.
jdaggy
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2008-06-13 3:05 PM (#85639 - in reply to #85629)

New User

The "Easy Slide" actually goes out 15 inches. The original concept was to have the same amount of space in a 7 ft wide trailer that you would have in an 8 wide. That was before 8 ft wide trailers were made with slides. Should a person want a larger slide that is possible and Shadow does do that, but Shadow feels that the "Easy Slide" is a very viable option at a reasonalbe cost and no additional weight to your trailer. It's like anything in life there are trade offs. To have the space you are referring to you may need to pull the trailer of your dreams with a very large truck. There is no doubt that if you spend a lot of time in a trailer, after "hubby" retires, you will want a lot of space. I don't know which Shadow trailer you saw at Congress, but we did have a very nice, roomy double slide, 17 ft short wall, 8 ft wide trailers that may just suprise you how roomy it was and was pulled with a standard 350. I'd be happy to send you pictures.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)