'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Kiefer built trailer door with corrosion?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-07-16 10:05 PM
11 replies, 7949 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Pmoore
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-07-16 8:07 AM (#87520)
Subject: Kiefer built trailer door with corrosion?

We just bought a used 2001 kiefer built trailer it is aluminum but the back door has what appears to be corrosion on it (bubbles) Any ideas, got a really good deal so do want to fix it.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2008-07-16 8:40 AM (#87522 - in reply to #87520)
Subject: RE: Kiefer built trailer door with corrosion?

Elite Veteran

What you have is a Kiefer Built Genesis equipped with doors produced by Todco Door Co. Todco would not address the situation, so that situation was handled a few years ago by Kiefer Built by changing to produce their own doors and they retrofitted existing trailers for a period of time. Now, they have a program to offer doors to you at a reduced rate. It will be a bare door and you'll transfer window, etc. It will have to be drilled & mounted just like any other door replacement. Dave Spencer @ Kiefer can assist you. 1-888-254-3337
RTSmith
www.SelectTrailer.com
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-07-16 9:12 AM (#87526 - in reply to #87520)

Expert

Richard,

Is this a painted or bare aluminum door? If it's painted, could it be repaired with conventional methods and resprayed? Might be less expensive and less work than a replacement.

Gard

RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2008-07-16 10:49 AM (#87536 - in reply to #87520)

Elite Veteran

It is a white painted skin door. Seems Todco used a particle board type of door filler that had a chemical reaction with the aluminum. What is being seen is usually holes completely through the aluminum. We don't see this much anymore (most were taken care of long ago), but usually the door will have little structural value left by this stage. It is amazing that what is/was considered top-of-the-line in the semi-trucking industry wouldn't hold up two years to horse use.
To replace, the best methodis to have them shipped to a Kiefer dealer on a finished trailer.
RTSmith
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-07-16 11:02 AM (#87538 - in reply to #87520)

Expert

It's too bad that the repair is so involved and expensive. Manufacturers try different ways to build their products, some work and some don't do so well. It's difficult when John Q Public often ends up being the testing platform, and paying for mistakes he didn't create.

Thanks for the info. I was just trying to find another way out.

Gard

RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2008-07-16 12:32 PM (#87545 - in reply to #87520)

Elite Veteran

Yes, we all look for the most practical way. In this situation, then current owners were offered a very easy way to handle this. However some folks, apparently just didn't bother. Then the program expires and a later owner is caught. Through it all, Todco refuses to honor their warranty. Kiefer at least, has been helpful.
RTSmith
Pmoore
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-07-16 2:01 PM (#87551 - in reply to #87520)

Talked to Dave Spencer at Kiefer and he is getting back to me on a solution, Only one of the back doors has this showing up, the other door appears fine, and it is very little on the one door, I guess my fear is that the door that appears unharmed will show up at a later date, any thoughts, I hate to repalce a good door if it is not necessary.
dawnb
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-07-16 3:37 PM (#87556 - in reply to #87520)

Veteran

THey used AQC treated plywood in the doors and ACQ treated wood eats everything but stainless steel.W had this happend to Keifer trailer that we had. IT was going to cost us if I remember right few thousands to replace back doors,plus escape door. We ended up trading the trailer and we were upfront with the problems on the doors. It is hard to believe that we had to replace CCA treated wood (because if you ate X number of 2x4's everyday it would give you cancer) with this ACQ treated wood that eats all metals but stainless steel and certain dbl drip galv that is suppose to be safer. If it metal what will it do to your skin.
terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-07-16 4:05 PM (#87557 - in reply to #87520)

Elite Veteran

I'm having something of the opposite problem. My second dressing room door is rotted. The first one did this after about 3-4 years, the second one fell apart on me Saturday. Until the first one rotted I had no idea there was a wood core to these doors. It was dificult then to find a replacement; hope I'm as lucky this time. There is really no good way to check on this until the screws no longer have any wood to grip.
BettyBarrelRacer
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2008-07-16 5:12 PM (#87561 - in reply to #87545)

Originally written by RTSmith on 2008-07-16 12:32 PM

Yes, we all look for the most practical way. In this situation, then current owners were offered a very easy way to handle this. However some folks, apparently just didn't bother. Then the program expires and a later owner is caught. Through it all, Todco refuses to honor their warranty. Kiefer at least, has been helpful. RTSmith

I have this going on on all my doors. I am original owner, but never found out until now reading this. I am going to call, so we will see what happens.

RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2008-07-16 6:54 PM (#87567 - in reply to #87520)

Elite Veteran

Terri- Dealers have seen that problem with many brands of trailers for years. A lot of trailers use the door from a single mfg. And thankfully, doors aren't too hard to come by anymore. I don't think a new door will have the same problem.

Betty- Talk to Dave. He's been good and fair. You are a long time out of warranty, but he's still been very helpful.

PMoore- Your call. Frankly, if you've seen it on one, I think you'll eventually see it on all. But you are right, money is money. You might check with Dave and see how long he'll be able to offer assistance on door replacement if that might affect your decision.

As a dealer, I won't point a finger at anyone. We dealers are used to correcting a whole host of issues on every brand of trailer at our expense when we see them come through on trade. Tractor & equipment dealers are no different. Just part of business. Products evolve and improve, and there is no obligation for a no charge retrofit. In fact, when most enhancements are made there is a corresponding price adjustment. So please don't feel cheated, its just business and free enterprise at its finest. Look at the iPhone! And most trailer manufacturers spend a lot of money they aren't obligated to as you've seen in this case. Sorry to be so long. Have to go. Will be out of pocket for a few days. Everyone go out for a nice ride and enjoy this beautiful summer we're having!!
RTSmith
Pmoore
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-07-16 10:05 PM (#87576 - in reply to #87520)

Well I am really pleased, They are going to sell me both back doors at cost, 605.00 and put them in the next trailer that is delivered to the closest Dealer so I don't have to pay shiping, the dealer was also very nice and has assisted me in this process. I was leary of how they would handle this but it is all very satisfactory, Also when they ran my vin number it was not a trailer that had problem doors but since the new door is a new style we are replacing both rear doors so they match. When I talked to Dave he wondered if the previous owners maybe had replaced the door that I am having problems with, So I am not going to replace the escape door or the camper door at this time since they may not be a problem with them. I am liking this trailer more and more.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)