'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Cabinets and drawers for DR - LQ and how I did it.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-07-24 5:21 PM
2 replies, 2805 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-07-24 2:06 PM (#88186)
Subject: Cabinets and drawers for DR - LQ and how I did it.

Expert

I've been working on my 4' shortwall trailer for the past 2  years. I finally found the roof leaks and had those repaired so I can finish up. (This is a new 2004, Titan Avalanche, that I bought new in 2005)

Mine isn't a deluxe interior like some folks do. What I bought had no carpeting (not in the GN area or the jack wall or the floor), no roof vent, and other than the 2 escape windows in the sleeping area - no windows.

I've had a roof vent installed, and a pull out steel step and the bracket for the LP, along with a trap door for an lp hose.

I've insulated the ceiling and GN floor and walls. I've installed 3/8" bead board plywood - it's the stuff intended for porch ceilings, so it has exterior glue and has the lapped edges, over furring strips that I ripped from 1x4"s and 2x4s and whatever else I had around.

But my most fantastic find are drawers and cabinets from SunCast. They make a number of "plastic" outdoor items. I also have a metal bench/chest with padded set from that company. ($30 at a sporting goods store) It was perfect for climbing into the sleeping area.

The cabinets and drawers I bought through WalMart and Sears. They are grey/putty colored plastic and the cabinets, with doors, have a catch at the bottom of one door to hold the doors closed.

I can fit a 5 gallon horse bucket in the cabinet, along with my hassock-porta-potty. then there is room on the shelf above. (Cab comes with 2 adjustable shelves.)  The cabinets run 30" wide and 20" deep!!!. They are 36" tall. The drawers are the same. I can fit a horse's winter blanket in one drawer!!

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/search_10153_12605?keyword=suncast

I built a counter over the top of the drawers, against the 4' wall and put a small bar sink in there (sink was in a an old wet bar that was in the barn when I bought the place). My entry door is on the long wall, close to the jack wall, so I stacked 2 of the cabinets next to the door. THe cabinets have pre-measured, punch outs so that they can be fastened to the wall. I stacked several increasing sizes of washers behind the 3" screw I used to fasten the cabinets to the wall. The units have shaped tops which enables the stacking feature.

Suncast also has some nifty wall units but I got ONE HECK of a deal on 3 of the base cabinets at a Walmart so I took those. (as in $25 for each of the cabinets - because 2 had been assembled and then disassembled and re-boxed and then left in the garden area where they got wet. : )

I ordered the drawers from Sears and had it delivered to the store near me. Sears had the absolute BEST price (I just googled and the www.bettymills.com site shows the drawers at a retail of  $394.44 and their price of $176.05 ( )  Whereas Sears has them for $59.99 and no shipping fees if you can have it shipped to a nearby store.

I would love to see the Suncast Cooler.  I think that would make a MARVELOUS addition to my LQ. Especially, if it were filled with lots of cold adult beverages.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
dawnb
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-07-24 3:12 PM (#88195 - in reply to #88186)
Subject: RE: Cabinets and drawers for DR - LQ and how I did it.

Veteran

Lets see some pictures. We would love to see how it turned. Sounds like yu did a great job and got good deals.
gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-07-24 5:21 PM (#88204 - in reply to #88186)
Subject: RE: Cabinets and drawers for DR - LQ and how I did it.

Expert

I'll try to get some photos this weekend...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)