'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Cowboy Up Trails Horsecamp Review

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2012-10-26 10:29 AM
9 replies, 7072 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Julep
Reg. Jul 2011
Posted 2012-10-10 5:30 PM (#147568)
Subject: Cowboy Up Trails Horsecamp Review

We just got back from a wonderful weekend at www.cowboyuptrails.com.  We loved it.  The riding is so pretty.  You have a variety of trails from single track to logging roads where you can move out on.  The trails are marked and the map is easy to read.  The camp owners are very nice and helpful.  The camp is nice and most of the sites are level.  You can use their pens which are not covered or you can highline.  If you ride any trail, be sure to ride the green trail as it was my favorite.  Since they have finally gotten rain, the creeks are full and there are a lot of pretty waterfalls. 
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
bloodtrail
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2012-10-10 7:24 PM (#147571 - in reply to #147568)
Subject: RE: Cowboy Up Trails Horsecamp Review

Regular

Thanks Julep!!!  I can't wait for next Thursday when we head there.  Hearing your report has lifted a weight off my shoulders worrying/wondering if this was going to be a good place to go after being spoiled at Falling Waters a few years back.  Good to hear there is water in the creeks and look forward to seeing some pretty waterfalls.

Are the leaves turning to pretty colors?

How did ya'll go to get there?  Scenic Hwy 7 or old hwy 27?  We have a 4 mule slant with midtack and a fairly good sized dressing room so we are kinda long......  Hubby can back a trailer just fine since he used to be a truck driver, but, are there any pull through sites, just so much easier.

I'm going to pm you tomorrow!  I had just written a novel to you and then my laptop decided lose everything I had typed, so, when I get to work I'm going to rewrite the novel to you to answer your questions.  Congrats on your upcoming mule baby!!!!

Mary

Julep
Reg. Jul 2011
Posted 2012-10-10 9:14 PM (#147576 - in reply to #147568)

Mary, we went in from old hwy 27.It is a white  post sign so you really have to on the hwy.  If you go past the Falling Waters sign, it will be four and a half miles.  Victor Road is your first big gravel road on the right.  There are two different turn offs on Victor Road.  The first one is not marked but it is easier to turn here especially with a large trailer.  We did the second one and it was a little bit tricky.  Go on Victor road until you come to some houses, go past the houses and some small fields with goats and you will see the driveway on the right.  There is a sign.  If you no else is there you can make a small circle into a spot but you will have to back up but it is no big deal.  We have backed into a lot worse places.  
cajunmuleman
Reg. Oct 2011
Posted 2012-10-11 7:23 AM (#147580 - in reply to #147568)

Elite Veteran

Julep, Glad to hear y'all had a good time and enjoyed the riding and camping. Are the trails challenging?  We are going to Falling Waters next month and will probably take a ride to check out Cowboy Up as it appears to be only 10-11 miles away. Again, glad to hear it was nice.
Julep
Reg. Jul 2011
Posted 2012-10-11 5:49 PM (#147597 - in reply to #147568)

There was one bad steep trail coming down the Indian Cave Trail but that was it.  After riding steep and challenging trails for three weeks in CO this year, we kind of welcomed these trails.  The hubby said you weren't riding on the edge all of the time.  There a lot of trails that go up a draw following a creek that are really pretty.  It is only about 6 miles from Falling Waters. 
cajunmuleman
Reg. Oct 2011
Posted 2012-10-12 7:12 AM (#147602 - in reply to #147568)

Elite Veteran

When you said Indian Caves, are you refering to the ones at Pedestal Rock? If you are, did you know that was the road to go to town years ago. If you pay attention you can see the wagon ruts. When you come dowm from the top if you take a left and travel about 1,000 ft, about 300 ft to the left of the trail is an old homestead. The homestead is diffuclt to see from the trail but if you travel off the trail it is neat to see. You can still see the foundation for the house, porch, animal pens and the cave they used for storage. When traveling back from town they would take small trees and stick between the wheel spokes in order to travel down the hill with the wagon acting like a sled. From what I can see looking at a map, it appears this is possibly the only trail shared with Falling Waters. I think we will add Cowboy Up to our places to go. Thanks for the review.

bloodtrail
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2012-10-23 12:22 PM (#147861 - in reply to #147568)

Regular

We are back and had a great time even though we only had time to ride Friday and Saturday.

Julep is right about the Indian Trail, it is pretty much straight up/straight down.  There is a cave there on your way down but when I saw it my mule was already pretty much sitting on his haunches and sliding down the trail so we didn't turn around and go back as we only took this side loop trail on the way to Pedestal Rocks.  So, CajunMuleMan I don't think the Indian Cave Julep was referring to was the caves at Pedestal Rocks.  The Indian Trail was the hardest trail we encountered while at CowboyUp and when we asked one of the owners which trail was the toughest it was that one.

We enjoyed riding on the south side too as most of the trail we rode was in a creek bed and was very pretty.

You do have to ride some county road, forest service road and old logging road sometimes to reach some trail intersections.  For those that ride gaited equine you have the perfect opportunities on the roads to let loose.

Minor drawbacks to the actual campground (if the weather is good) is your truck and trailer are in the sun and there aren't any picnic tables at this time and no pavilion.  For us, this was not a problem or reason to not come back.

The pens available for use appear to be a little larger than what we've seen at other places, but we don't use pens if we can put up an electric fence or hi-line.  The only thing about the pens is the back side of them is the wall from an old hog barn so the roof of the barn will direct rainwater runoff into the pens.  However, since the soil is rocky it looked like it wouldn't take long for most of the pens to soak up the rain and dry out fairly quickly...not saying the pens are rocky most looked to have layer of top soil and many had grass.

Behind where you park your trailer is a nice wooded area to put up an electric fence or hi-line (and the camp has a heavy duty one already up for use).

The bath/shower house is rustic but nothing that should deter anyone from using it as it was clean.  The ladies side has 2 sinks and a mirror, 2 toilets and 1 shower.  The hot water in that shower is plumbed backwards.   : )

I didn't count the number of sites, but their website, I think, says 18 or 19.  They have levelers available if need be and are left near the elec/water stations.

There is a pasture near the campsites that had deer come out in the evenings to feed in and were fun to watch.

This is the kind of place we will not hesitate to go back to!

Mary

Edited by bloodtrail 2012-10-23 12:24 PM
cajunmuleman
Reg. Oct 2011
Posted 2012-10-23 12:43 PM (#147862 - in reply to #147568)

Elite Veteran

Mrs Mary Thanks for the review, I always appreciated the honest opinon of another mule rider!!!! (either good or bad) We are leaving in 2-1/2 weeks for Falling Waters and I think out timing will be good!!!! What the hell any bad trip with my mule is better than a good day at work if there is such a thing as a good day at work. The least we will do is Ride in the truck to check out Cowboy Up and maybe speak to some campers if any are in camp
bloodtrail
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2012-10-23 12:44 PM (#147863 - in reply to #147568)

Regular

Going to try to post some pictures.

cowboy33
Reg. Jul 2010
Posted 2012-10-26 10:29 AM (#147921 - in reply to #147580)

Cajunmuleman, Went to Falling Waters Horse Camp in Sept. Had a great time. I am from Kaplan, LA. Give me a call 337-250-3240 I would like to meet you.

Edited by cowboy33 2012-10-26 10:31 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)