'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Accessory batteries

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2024-05-20 11:05 AM
4 replies, 363 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

lysanec
Reg. Jul 2015
Posted 2024-05-18 11:19 AM (#185727)
Subject: Accessory batteries

I have a Merhow LQ with two accessory batteries (Marine deep cycle) under the gooseneck. I want to make sure I am hooking them up correctly. There are seven wires total - 4 positives and three negatives.
I know the obvious of hooking positive to positive and negative to negative :D What I am wondering is whether it matters how many wires are on each battery. 
Right now on the battery  on the left, I have three positive and two negatives and on the battery on the right, I have one wire of each. I was wondering if it would be better to shift one positive over and end up with two postiives (rather than three) on the one battery and two on the other. Or it doesn't matter..... suggestions? 
I am pretty sure this is how I used to do it, but now I am second-guessing myself. The trailer manual says very little about batteries and I haven't found any youtube videos :D
Thanks!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
DLR
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2024-05-19 6:41 AM (#185728 - in reply to #185727)
Subject: RE: Accessory batteries

Veteran

Why are they not in series?  The two battrires should be in series.   connect the positive of one battery to the negative of the other with a jumper wire.  Then connect all positive from the trailer to the positive of the battery that is open and the all negative from the trailer to open negative.
lysanec
Reg. Jul 2015
Posted 2024-05-19 12:47 PM (#185729 - in reply to #185727)

As far as I know, they are in series. When I bought the trailer they had already installed the batteriers. The wires themselves are set up so there is just enough sticking out to hook to battery and the rest is passing through the wall of the trailer, so they are more hidden, which makes it hard to see which is for what. Because of that I had put tape on the positives to not mix them up with negatives.
Everything seems to work (lights, pump, jack), but I wasn't sure if there is a better way (than what I described in my original post) to not drain one battery more or end up with any issues. Last year, at the garage, they left a wire off and I didn't notice right away causing my batteries to overheat. I had to get new batteries, so I want to make sure everything is done correctly. 
DLR
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2024-05-20 6:11 AM (#185730 - in reply to #185727)

Veteran

Your 1st post said one battery had 3 positive and  2 negative  and the other had one and one.  Clearly not in series.  If battery got hot, the wires were wrong.  When you have them in series - a jumper wire from one battery positive to the other battery negative; you will have one postive and one negative terminal open.  Place all postive wires from the tauiler to the open positive terminal and all negative wires from the trailer to the open negative terminal.
lysanec
Reg. Jul 2015
Posted 2024-05-20 11:05 AM (#185731 - in reply to #185730)

Thank you, I will take a look at all the wires more closely. I looked again yesterday but since they are all tucked away it's harder to see. But I can follow each wire if I pull the batteries off and double-check everything.  A bit more work, but better to have it done right!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)