'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Horses that don't eat quietly

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-02-14 12:20 PM
8 replies, 3260 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

jeffghs
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-02-11 9:54 PM (#36974)
Subject: Horses that don't eat quietly

Veteran

I've got a problem with a couple of my horses that don't like to eat quietly. One is a mare, the other is a gelding. All of my horses are stall fed separately, but these two in particular like to thrash about in their buckets if the buckets are hanging, and turn their feed tubs over if they are fed on the ground. The 2 that give me problems are not in adjacent stalls and don't do it in relation to one another. My gelding has gotten to the point of me having to stand at his stall with a crop, and watch for the bad behavior. With me standing there, he eats pretty quietly, if I leave, his food ends up on the floor of the stall. The mare is not as bad, and does not require someone standing there watching. Anyone have any suggestions?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
mrstacticalmedic
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-02-11 10:21 PM (#36975 - in reply to #36974)
Subject: RE: Horses that don't eat quietly

Extreme Veteran

First I would have a equine vet (who specializes in dentistry) check them for bad caps or possibly abcesses.  Sometimes horses thrash their mouth around because it hurts to eat.  If the doc scopes them and nothing is wrong, then I would get those feeders that have the round feed protector on them.  I can't think what they are called.  They attach to a corner feeder.   Instead of feeding large amounts a couple times a day, you could try to feed them smaller amounts several times a day.  It also aids in their digestion of the food.  Some horses just like to play.  Maybe change to a pelleted food so that there is less waste.  If there isn't anything medically wrong I don't know what else to tell you other than feed them in smaller amounts.

hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-02-12 8:38 AM (#36994 - in reply to #36974)

Expert

My one gelding used to do this all of the time but now just does it occassaionally at a show when he is very hungry. I understand your frustrations totally!! At home I have a corner feeder that is a ball shape with the top cut off. It almost looks like a witch's caldron! The edges at the top are rounded and cannot be ripped apart by teeth and the deep bowl shape keeps the feed inside. This is the only thing I've found that actually works! The feed saver rings were destroyed within days. Feeding in a tub on the floor was hopeless. Large rocks in the feed bucket made it worse! Even bungeeing the bucket to the wall didn't last long. It made a neat toy!

Edited by hav2ride 2006-02-12 8:40 AM
kickshaw44
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-02-13 10:34 AM (#37077 - in reply to #36974)

Regular

In addition to the buckets with the rounded tops, you may want to try adding large clean rocks to your horses feed. We've had a couple that satisfy their need for 'noodling' by moving the rocks around their tub. At any rate, it will  not allow them to take such a big bite - possibly resulting in less waste(?) Good Luck!
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-02-13 10:55 AM (#37082 - in reply to #36974)

Expert

I like wire bucket guards that make the top of the bucket narrow.  They can't thrash and thus cause problems.

The clean rocks usually only works for slowing horses down that eat too fast and get impacted.

hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-02-13 11:55 AM (#37088 - in reply to #37077)

Expert

I tried the rocks but all they did was make him thrash the bucket more! The ONLY thing I found that worked was the caldron shaped corner feeder.
jakey1
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2006-02-13 12:43 PM (#37092 - in reply to #36974)

Extreme Veteran

You could try a feed bag.  I found a nice one on Wyoming Outdoors website that only works for the horse when his head is hung down.  It's really hard to describe, but I bought one for when we camp.  Sometimes the horses get food aggressive with their buckets.  With the feed bag, they can't interfere with each other and there is no waste.  If the horse throws his head up, the feed slides back into the bottom part of the bag.
jeffghs
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-02-13 8:37 PM (#37140 - in reply to #36974)

Veteran

I have had the teeth floated without change. My mare is fed out of a feed bag most of the time, but sometimes time can be an issue and it can't be used. She is one who drops her feed even shortly after floating, so a feed bag is the best for her. I have used the small mineral blocks in the feed bucket in place of bricks, but mine are the same they just want to thrash around more. Like I said, he will eat quietly if someone is standing there, so it can be done, again it is more of a time issue.
Cricket
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2006-02-14 12:20 PM (#37186 - in reply to #36974)

I had a gelding that did that and I had a corner feeder with a metal ring. When he would try and sling it he would hit the ring. After a few times of busting himself he quit.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)