'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Need A Woman's Viewpoint

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-01-17 7:18 AM
32 replies, 8534 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-01-13 10:47 AM (#115209)
Subject: Need A Woman's Viewpoint

Expert

I would like to know the concerns of a woman's point of view, on the ownership and usage of a "run around" non LQ horse trailer.

What do you find are the most important issues of ownership and usage of your trailer?

What sized trailer to you use?

Are there specific options you particularly want or need?

Are there construction details you like or dislike?

What do you particularly like or dislike about your trailer?

What made your decision to purchase the trailer you have?

What, if anything, do you think should be added, that isn't presently being offered as on option?

Do you regularly use this trailer by yourself? (no man involved?)

Thank you   Gard

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2010-01-13 11:36 AM (#115211 - in reply to #115209)
Subject: RE: Need A Woman's Viewpoint

Elite Veteran

I own a 2H slant gooseneck, all aluminum. I use this trailer exclusively, no man involved (well, not with trailering anyway!). Mine has a front escape door, very important to me. I have a phobia about trapped horses and have used it a handful of times to unload one that had a trailer phobia, once because it was easier for a lame horse to go forwards than backwards. Things like that. Plus it is easier access into the trailer for cleaning. Mine is a 2ft shortwall, usually adequate but wish I'd left it at 4ft.

Like my escape door, REALLY like my permanent rear tack. I have never had a horse that did NOT pee in my trailer and I really don't want it running in my tack area. It is braced for AC, wish I had that, or at least a camper vent up top.

I bought this particular trailer because it seemed to be very sturdy, at the time it was a little larger than a standard 2H and the escape door was standard rather than optional. I was hauling with a Dodge Dakota at the time and size/weight were critical for me.

Dislikes--well, the 2 foot shortwall, but I spec'ed that and can't blame anyone else. It changed the angle of the slant wall, not a problem at the time, but have since purchased a very long mare who is not comfortable in it. So stall length would be something I'd watch better next time. Low roof is another, but it's a 1996 and that was pretty common. Hope this helps.

walkin
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2010-01-13 12:04 PM (#115213 - in reply to #115209)

Elite Veteran

I have had many run around trailers, especially before LQ.  I prefer a straight load. 

No man involved in trailering.

One thing I DO NOT LIKE is the one piece door, like on a stock trailer. [back door-where you load horses]   Hard to open against wind.  Have to tie it back and its a lot of pressure on the rope to hold it.  Sometimes will not stay open even wothout wind, depending on the lay of the land.

tucson
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2010-01-13 12:05 PM (#115214 - in reply to #115209)

For a very useful multipurpose trailer, very easy to get around, I would recommend an alluminum 7'x7'x20' gooseneck stock trailer with rubber mats, slats with rails on the sides that you can slide darkened plexiglass strips in, have an escape door in front, having a swing gate in the middle and a swing gate to close at the rear of the trailer, saddles etc. can go up in the gooseneck. We own a 98 featherlite and we use it for everything from hauling horses, mares and babies, cattle, machinery (because it fits) construction materials, etc. It has also been used to move multiple families (just do a pressure wash on the inside and away we go. We love it! I use it all the time!!!

brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2010-01-13 12:16 PM (#115215 - in reply to #115209)

I like a 4H with removable dividers. We have a solid stud divider acting like a swing wall between 2nd and 3rd horse which makes two box stalls when the front and back dividers are out. A walk thru door from the DR is a must as is a escape door on the first stall. The back tack is removable and pins in and out. I like a ramp (over full doors) on the back for the horses and for driving the Kubota 0 turn mower up in it. It is much easier than using ratchet straps on the flat bed. I found 7 wide X 7 tall to be the ideal size for hauling Cargo ATVs, mowers, carts, wagons and pallets of bedding or feed. I like a front dressing room. I also prefer a GN. I prefer drops on the head and hip but stock sides are ok if you can slide the plexiglass in to close it totally up. I also like ties on both sides for hauling with the dividers out like a stock trailer. Those are my must haves in a run around. Now the extras are rooftop AC, 110 outlet in DR (for fan or tv), elec jack, swing out saddle rack, the list goes on ..................

Edited by brushycreekranch 2010-01-13 12:20 PM
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2010-01-13 12:19 PM (#115216 - in reply to #115209)

Elite Veteran

What do you find are the most important issues of ownership and usage of your trailer?  Dependabilty - all lights working, brakes, wheel bearings and tires in good condition.

What sized trailer to you use? I have 2: 3 horse 4.5 ft shortwall GN for day trips and 2-horse 15ft Shortwall GN LQ for overnight traveling. Both trailers are aluminum. And I haul them frequently without a man in a F350 4-door Ford Dually.

Are there specific options you particularly want or need? I have gotten use to the hydraulic jack on my LQ, so I will be installing a hyraulic jack on my day trailer this spring. at shows. LED lights and also interior/exterior load lights.

Are there construction details you like or dislike? Like: Interlocking floor on 5" centers with 2" I-beams, solid sheet of aluminum on roof, beefy hinges, drops on head/hip, extruded side walls, LED lights, door tiebacks are heavy duty and american made tires.

What do you particularly like or dislike about your trailer? Like: Slant dividers are easy to use, stud wall, Drop down windows with latch at bottom, two interior tie rings, and three on each side exterior tie rings. Escape door and walk-thru door. Roomy Back tack with lots of hooks. Battery powered interior lights and camper door with screen to keep the trailer cool when changing clothes. Full rubber interior in horse compartment. Dislike - removable jack handle. Would rather have the handle tuck down next to the trailer.

What made your decision to purchase the trailer you have? Quality of hinges, floor construction, sidewall construction and value of the trailer compared to others in it's class. Also drop down windows with bars.

What, if anything, do you think should be added, that isn't presently being offered as on option? Swingout saddle rack.

Do you regularly use this trailer by yourself? (no man involved?) Of course!

PENNINCHICK
Reg. Jan 2010
Posted 2010-01-13 1:02 PM (#115222 - in reply to #115209)

New User

I have hauled horses all over by myself so I look for a trailer that has the best construction. Since it is my money I want quality. I buy all aluminum so they last and have a better resale value. Size depends on your tow vehicle and how many horses. Decision to buy was based on construction. The fact that it was a company that has been around and owned by the same family for many years and will still be in business when I need them was also very important. It also helped that the people at Blue Ribbon Trailers and LTT were awesome to deal with. You can tour the manufacture plant in North Jackson Ohio and see exactly how well they are built. They do build a really nice 2-H BP that can be used as a straight load or you can move the divider and have a slant load (nice idea). 53
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2010-01-13 1:19 PM (#115223 - in reply to #115209)

Expert

Have a GN stock trailer that works for 4 straight load or tied cowboy style at a slant, and the LQ. BUT..... My real run around trailer is a tall wide standard straight load BP that really works well for search and rescue, as it parks and turns around anywhere.  Must haves....brakes on both axles, a locking tack area with slide out saddle racks, LED lights, fans for horse area, white or light color, large windows and ventilation ability.  On SAR I am usually hauling a single animal, so have her on left side and haul porta potti and mounting block (which doubles as a place to sit) on right side.  Very compact (important in this application), and will fully enclose which helps if hauling "stuff", and removable center post, (so can haul ATV or lawn mower) and two escape doors....more for access than escaping!  Saw it used on the side of a very quiet road and got for a reasonable cost.  It is a steel and 1995 model and still looks great.......good year for paint jobs I guess...

It would be superb if it was aluminum!

Edited by flyinghfarm 2010-01-13 1:22 PM
tico
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2010-01-13 3:18 PM (#115233 - in reply to #115209)

I always trailer without a man (my man is not into horses) and I usually cover some good distances as well as around town, this is what I have found works very well for me:2 horse straight load bumper pull with dressing room and an escape ramp on one side and an escape door an the other. That way I know I can always get out and I always have another option to get a horse out in case of emergency or if training a claustrophic horse I can start with just walking them through. Also I can reach each individual horses head for watering. I don't like when the horse has to stick its head out of the window on a slant load and I have to stand and hold up buckets and wait till the horse drinks which can sometime take some time. In the straight load there is plenty of head room for the horse and I added bucket holders to the doors so I can hang them and shut the escape doors and they can drink whenever they want to. The side ramp is also nice for wheeling heavy things like hay into the trailer. I also used it to get loads of hay and I was able to remove all the dividers in the trailer. In the back I prefer the 2 full size doors and ramp option instead of the ramp with upper doors because the ramp is so much bigger and heavier to lift. Also I like windows in the back doors it makes for very nice ventilation. I also like the window in the front of the trailer because I could see the horses ears through my rear mirror of the truck and that put me at ease. I added a camera in my new trailer so now I can see the horse and don't have to worry if I felt any movement or went over a particular big bump. No more guess work to see how the horses are doing. The trailer I opted to go with is a Hawk I like that they can fully customize what you would like and I believe strongly in that construction. My horses comfort and safety was most important to me and I like that they pay close attention to detail which included the interior color of the trailer which is gray and it is soothing to the horse instead of the very strong reflective metals. I also opted to use a weight distribution hitch which I like and dislike....it is great for all the security reasons but it is also a little tedious to hitch up but you get used to it.I hope that helps again it is what worked best for me and my situation.

Edited by tico 2010-01-13 3:24 PM
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2010-01-13 3:40 PM (#115235 - in reply to #115209)

Expert

Originally written by gard on 2010-01-13 10:47 AM

IWhat sized trailer to you use? Gard as you know,I have a BP 2H slant.

Are there specific options you particularly want or need? No,it has everything that I need.

Are there construction details you like or dislike? It has a huge back door that is single.I would rather there be 2 back doors.

What do you particularly like or dislike about your trailer? Nothing really,I love it.

What made your decision to purchase the trailer you have? It was an all aluminum "mill" finish older make Sooner,2H slant load,hard to find.

What, if anything, do you think should be added, that isn't presently being offered as on option?  N/A (I have a '95.)

Do you regularly use this trailer by yourself? (no man involved?) No,but,I like the idea that if I have an emergency with one of my horses while my husband is at work I can go swap vehicles with him,hitch up the trailer by myself and it is easy to pull and get around in a tight spot.

Thank you   Gard

adeberti
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2010-01-13 3:44 PM (#115236 - in reply to #115209)

Veteran

not from a woman point of view...-you also might want to consider the height of the latches for the drop down windows (especially if there are no running boards and you are on the shorter than avg)-if you get a ramp make sure it's sturdy but still easy to lift-also make sure the latches for the dividers are easy to lock/unlock
Ncatanz
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2010-01-13 3:50 PM (#115237 - in reply to #115209)

Veteran

I would like to know the concerns of a woman's point of view, on the ownership and usage of a "run around" non LQ horse trailer. I am currently enjoying the first LQ trailer I ever had but as far as a "run around" trailer,  I would get a 2 horse slant load,  ramp up in the front and behind for versatility hauling other equipment and even though it would be a run around,  I would make it a gooseneck.  They are just plain easier to drive.

What do you find are the most important issues of ownership and usage of your trailer? Horse safety,  people safety, value, longevity because we keep equipment forever and functionality.

What sized trailer to you use? 3 horse gooseneck with a 6ft LQ Lakota

Are there specific options you particularly want or need? Mangers for extra storage,  insulated roof to keep horse cool.

Are there construction details you like or dislike?  Like that it is all aluminum,  ramp were smooth rubber when I bought it but Lakota has fixed that on all model now to a rough rubber.

What do you particularly like or dislike about your trailer? I love using my own private clean bathroom and washing my hands in hot soapy water,  and the fact that the horse compartment is so big and bright

What made your decision to purchase the trailer you have? Two years of research ,  comparing and listening to stories about Lakota service

What, if anything, do you think should be added, that isn't presently being offered as on option?  A cappucino machine

Do you regularly use this trailer by yourself? (no man involved?Yes,  although my husband uses it himself every time I don't have it.

Thank you   Gard

headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2010-01-13 4:18 PM (#115240 - in reply to #115209)

Elite Veteran

I second the motion on whoever suggested lower window latches. I have noticed they are offering latches at the bottom of the window rather than the top on newer trailers. Great idea for those of us that are height impared.
liv to ride
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2010-01-13 5:18 PM (#115243 - in reply to #115209)

Veteran

I agreee with tuscon. My runaround trailer is a 7x7x20" gooseneck steel trailer. It is used for everything from a trip to the vet with one horse or to a branding with six. It is easy to hook up and travels great. If I want to go trail riding with friends or to my trainers, you just load and go. It is easy for me to manuever in town and although I like my LQ I use this trailer 100 times more. Moving horses, people, cattle, 4-wheelers or machinery, even haul hay in it. The only thing I would change is to have one with a dressing room and saddle racks in it.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2010-01-13 5:46 PM (#115245 - in reply to #115209)

Expert

For a runaround trailer, I would prefer a 2 horse or 2+1 gooseneck with side ramp and rear ramp over  2 camlatch doors.  No mangers because it is hard for one person to dislodge front feet from them.  Small 4 ft dressing room is fine for running around.  Want all aluminum, quality name, brand, trailer with no sharp welds.  Drops at the head are nice and I do agree that you should look at the height of the latches.  Plenty of springs on the ramps are nice to reduce lifting effort.

My other choice is a 20 ft stock trailer, outfitted for horses.  Again a side unload ramp is a nice option.

Retento's Supreme Commander

krtxfg
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2010-01-13 6:09 PM (#115247 - in reply to #115209)

Gard,
Well I actually own my dealership and sell only 1 brand, Elite. With that I am 4th out of 57 Elite Dealers.I am going to answer your questions with an open mind and hopefully they help. If you need anything call at 940-686-3700.

What do you find are the most important issues of ownership and usage of your trailer?
resale, quality, how my horses like it.

What sized trailer to you use?
4 Horse & 6 Horse

Are there specific options you particularly want or need?
no rear tack, drops both sides, and no mangers

Are there construction details you like or dislike?
I like the whole structure of my Elite's

What do you particularly like or dislike about your trailer?
Don't dislike anything, I do love our latches and handle bars they are easy for me to reach and use.

What made your decision to purchase the trailer you have?
All my trailers are custom fit to owner so I like that I get quality and exactly what and how I want it. Elite doesnt make any production models or series

What, if anything, do you think should be added, that isn't presently being offered as on option?
nothing.

Do you regularly use this trailer by yourself? (no man involved?)
Always!!!!

Hope this helps!!
Kristen Rose-Garrett
RG Trailers, LLC
940-686-3700
www.rgtrailersales.com
To Much Trouble
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2010-01-13 6:30 PM (#115249 - in reply to #115209)

Veteran

I use to pull a steel 3 horse reverse slant w/ finished dressing room, and had to deal with my camping totes..after a few yrs it became a royal pain ( its for sale if anyone is interested in a starter trailer :)..Its hard to say what I would change on my current trailer...as I just got it in Oct. 09 and didn't get to use it much last fall..I haven't had it long enough to know..LOL with that being said, when I was shopping for a trailer my requirements were:  full bath
                            basic kitchen , I wanted an oven but didn't get it  :(
                            Dinette / spare bed
                            awning
                            3horse/ slant
well, built, used, in pretty good shape, everything in working order,

What I got was a  1997 Sundowner Siesta 3 horse slant with 8 ft. LQ ,lightly used and well cared for, and I pretty much got all I was looking for...and more...it came with a solar charger on the roof to charge batteries, new tires, new spare, built in sound system, furnace and a heat tape in air, tons of storage ( more than I even expected) it has drop down windows on head side w/ bars AND drop down windows on but side for ventilation..( i think I am going to like that option) The tack room is huge and I have more than enough storge.PLUS is is 8 ft. wide so I have the storage under the mangers..amazing amount of room in there.. I really like the panel formonitoring the level in tanks..fresh, grey, black..VERY handy,no guessing ow much is in there :)

All In all I am very pleased with the choice I made, it is easy to pull ...I have a Ford F350 diesel dually..and ya don't even know its back there ..I travel alone, hubby isn't into horses, but supports my addiction. :)

SO far I wouldn't change anything...:)

tom-tom
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2010-01-13 6:45 PM (#115250 - in reply to #115209)

Extreme Veteran

We purchased our first BP trailer last year as a run around since our girls ride with 4-H club and practice 2-3 times a week.  We bought a 2005 Exiss STK-16 Event BP.  All aluminum with a nice large dressing room and a stock compartment.  It works great for hauling everything from horses to the girls show calves.  I like having the one piece door with the stock slide gate if I need it.  Lighted tack and horse area.  LED lights. Good brakes.  Slats for plexiglass in the winter.  Drop down windows aren't important to me.  Neither is seprate stall spaces.  All my horses get along in the trailer and I like having the open space to haul anything. This trailer pulls like a dream and has been great since most of the time I trailer the girls and their horses to practice while my husband is still at work.  It also fits in any trail head and can be turned easily in a tight spot.  The hardest part for me (as a woman) was learning how to hook it up and back it properly.  I had always learned with and pulled a gooseneck. 

If I had to change or add anything it would be my saddle rack.  When we purchased the trailer someone had taken out the rack so we ordered Saddle Boss racks and put them in ourselves.  We ended up putting four racks in and a couple of English ones too.  It takes up a lot of room, but that what it takes for what we do.  Only other change would be to put in  a full stud divider.  That way I could haul equipment in the first stall space and still put two horses or calves in the second.    Regardless I love this little trailers and even though it would sometimes be nice to have a 20ft stock version; this one works great for me and my girls.  Small enough to run around town in and heavy duty enough to take to a remote trail head.

Shakira
Reg. Jan 2010
Posted 2010-01-13 7:00 PM (#115251 - in reply to #115209)

Have- 16' GN Steel Stock modified to give me a dressing room F250 SD Diesel 4X4Almost always haul without help.Love how easy it is to maneuver-short floor length, tapered nose-I don't want to be in a crowded area and not be able to get into or out of it easily.My horse likes to ride in it-very important.I like to haul him loose-there are no dividers. This is a good and a bad thing. My next trailer will have dividers.Rear door has sliding gate in it, but I would prefer to have 2 separate rear doors. Want insulated ceiling.Want powered landing gear.Want running boards or pull out step to DR.Never enough ties in or out.Never enough hooks.Never enough saddle racks. I Event so we carry 2 saddles and 2 bridles per horse.
klaas
Reg. Jan 2010
Posted 2010-01-13 10:41 PM (#115259 - in reply to #115209)

What do you find are the most important issues of ownership and usage of your trailer? Dependability, quality, and resale value.What sized trailer to you use? Since I have a teen who high school rodeos and another teen who is in horse 4-H, I currently have a 2001 4H Featherlite (found on Craigslist) with a 52" dressing room. We have added a walk through door and are customizing the DR with a jacknife sofa (found on Craigslist) and a top bunk, cabinetry, and AC.No fridge nor sink, only a cowboy shower. I have had many different trailers over the course of 35 years, from WW bumper pull stock trailers, two horse trailers, and a 90 Charmac aluminum, 16' GN stock trailer with center divider and rear swing gate with slider. Miss my bumper pull and GN stock trailer for other livestock and equipment.Are there specific options you particularly want or need? I wish my DR was larger for a shower, sink, and toilet. For a run around trailer I wish I had my bumper pull to pull with a SUV. I miss going to the fast food drive thru! Needs: tack space! In my FL, I wish it had a stud divider and the rest of the trailer dividerless for more horse space.Are there construction details you like or dislike? Dislike aluminum on steel! Aluminum all the way!What do you particularly like or dislike about your trailer? Love my trailer except the window latches or up too high for someone who is 5'3"What made your decision to purchase the trailer you have? Great deal on Craigslist - couldn't pass it up. Had to drive 1300 miles to get it! My local dealer is a FL dealer and was impressed with the trailers in stock and their resale value.What, if anything, do you think should be added, that isn't presently being offered as on option? Featherlite needs to add a slideout step for the dressing room like Hart trailers. Going to order or fabricate slider step from Hart.Do you regularly use this trailer by yourself? (no man involved?)I always use the trailer myself! My kids are to the age now that they can hook up and pull!Wish I had a smaller trailer to haul horses to the vet or load one saddled ready to go!
ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2010-01-14 6:14 AM (#115262 - in reply to #115209)

Elite Veteran

I have a Hart BP 2 horse slant.  I've not yet put the horses in it but I've hauled hay.. i had to get a BP because i drive an SUV, have a non-horsey husband who complains about my horse expenses frequently.. If I had a truck and were to do it again, I'd probably buy a GN just for the sleeping space in the nose.. I use my trailer exclusively for the rare trips to the vet and for camping.

Likes:  (1) very sturdy construction.  Heavy hinges on the windows and doors.    The roof is a different material... forget at the moment what it is.., that keeps it cooler inside. (2)collapsible rear back tack. I have heard that an extra layer of mat cut to fit the rear back tack will prevent urine leaking into and wetting your hay and items back there.. (3) all aluminum construction. (4) easy for me to hitch and pull... I almost always haul by myself.. When i bring it to the house to clean it, My husband backs it into our driveway for me because I have a "backing mental block".  I can back it at the barn into it's spot OK.  (5) I like the front dressing room, but wish it was a little bigger.. My previous trailer did not have one, so this is a step up for me.

Dislikes: (1) Wish it was a three horse, but could not have gotten one because of weight constraints on my SUV. I would have liked to use the first stall for hay and gear (2) It does not have an escape door at the first stall.  I would have liked to have found and escape door with a stud wall at the first divider. Again for hay and gear.. I do not own and will never transport more than 2 horses  (3) It has drops on the heads, but sliders at the hips.. I wanted drops both sides, but have spoken to a lady who had drops both sides and she said the airflow caused her shavings to swirl around in the trailer while in movement, upsetting her horses.. (4) Wish the window latches were lower although i can reach them.. I'm not much over 5 feet. (5) mine is standard 6'10" width.. I ideally would have liked 7' or wider.. Both of my mares are a little on the long side.

Ambivalent:  My trailer is a step up.. I am not for or against ramps, but if I had a ramp, it would be over full doors..

These are things that for the most part I can't complain about because I chose to forgo them.. I searched for over 2 years before finding this one and got it at a very good price.......HOWEVER If money were available and I had a truck I'd go with a 2 or 3 horse gooseneck with those things that I mentioned.. I don't mind so much not having a LQ.. I am a camping equipment queen and can deal with the setting up and taking down part.. the goose neck nose would be a big plus for me.. no tent to set up.. But, again that would be my ultimate trailer,.. not a run-around trailer.. the trailer I have is perfect for a run-around trailer..Especially if you have something bigger for camping.

Edited by ridingarocky 2010-01-14 6:17 AM
To Much Trouble
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2010-01-14 9:01 AM (#115264 - in reply to #115209)

Veteran

I guess I didn't add my only complaint thus far...again it is the latches on the drop down windows..I cannot reach them and I am 5' 10" . That being the only thing I don't like about it..so far.  :)

I could not/ would not go back to a BP unless that were the only option for me having a trailer..The GN are so much easier to pull, hook up, back up, etc. 

I looked for a trailer for 3 yrs..one that fell into my price range, had all or close to everything on my wish list,

and was well cared for and NOT abused. This trailer came with every reciept and all the paper work of everything the guy had done to it and for it over the yrs..service records, reciepts, etc.  I believe patience was a factor in this purchase. As there were a few others I "almost" went with...but the little voice in my head told me to wait..you'll find what you are looking for!!  Sometimes that voice makes alot of sense.  :)

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2010-01-14 11:06 AM (#115266 - in reply to #115209)

Expert

At 5'2" and 127 lbs, I don't want something that's heavy and bulky.I don't have a run around trailer just my 3H Exiss with Weekender.I would like to get a 16'Gn stock( aluminum) so I can go short distances and have use for it for livestock( cattle) as well. Really wouldn't need a DR or tack space,I can plop what I need in the truck. If the trailer was strictly for horses, then I'd want a small DR but I guess I could live without it. BP are out- if you think hauling horses can be tough with on, try a load of cows.
Cindy Trailer Depot
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2010-01-14 5:07 PM (#115285 - in reply to #115209)

Regular

I'll bite...As a woman and a trailer dealer, here is my own preference (no man involved in my trailering acitivities).

What do you find are the most important issues of ownership and usage of your trailer?  I want to be able to haul everything from an unbroke colt that's never loaded to more than a few older horses if needed.

What sized trailer to you use? Platinum 7'x22'x7' C Sport

Are there specific options you particularly want or need? A run around trailer for me has to be versatile.  I want a full rear door so I can easily load a scared horse or colt and get out of the way if needed.  I don't want slant dividers because I want to be able to turn them around and let them ride backwards (facing the curb side), and I don't want a scared horse in a wreck with my dividers.  I have 1 full ceiling to floor divider in the middle.  I want an escape door, and I want my saddles in the dressing room with a brush tray on the door.

Are there construction details you like or dislike? Platinum all the way!

What do you particularly like or dislike about your trailer? I special order them exactly the way I want, so I love each detail.

What made your decision to purchase the trailer you have? I'm a dealer!

What, if anything, do you think should be added, that isn't presently being offered as on option? Nothing

Do you regularly use this trailer by yourself? (no man involved?) Completely!

randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2010-01-14 7:52 PM (#115289 - in reply to #115209)

Extreme Veteran

My first trailer was a 20ft 4H GN with a ramp.  I had it built nearby and it was interesting when I went in occassionally as it was being built, the men wanted to know how high I wanted things. I'm short 5'1" and they had a tendancy to want to put all of the hooks and things very high. I was fortunate to have them installed exactly how I wanted them. The person who owned the company was also a woman and that was an asset as my ramp had a really decent spring assist. This was a steel trailer and the ramp was heavy without those springs. That was a great trailer and I could put it almost anywhere.

Now my runaround trailer (and that's truely what it is) is a 2H straight load with a small dressing room and a BP. I actually really like the BP as it is quick to hook up and I don't have to climb in and out of the truck. I can shift it if it's not perfectly aligned which is very helpful. My window attatchments are kind of high, but I have a running board to assist so, that's ok. I have a ramp and it is very light weight so no problem there. If I wanted a 3 horse run around, I might actually consider going to a GN as I think they pull better with that many horses, but it's not a really big deal either way for me. I hate rear tack rooms and would not want mangers in a run about. That leaves more versatility. If I had a GN, I would want an electric jack if I could. Our 28' LQ does not have one and after all of these years it is a bear to crank. I keep telling myself that it's good aerobic exersize! :)

Oh, and if I had a stock type trailer with a door, I agree with a previous poster, those full rear doors are really a PITA. I have double rear doors on my big trailer with a ramp over. Another good reason to live near where your trailer is being built. I went to see it and it had a big ole rear door....had that taken care of.

Even when the man is around, I do most all of the driving/hooking up/loading/etc. I think the biggest issues, as a woman, are how high things are and how heavy they are. The rest is as variable for a woman as for a man.

Edited by randemtam 2010-01-14 7:56 PM
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)