'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
tire monitors?

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-08-13 8:15 PM
32 replies, 13765 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Zoe
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2011-08-03 4:43 PM (#136435)
Subject: tire monitors?

Regular

There has been a lot of discussion & great information in this forum about tires, inflation, etc.  Last spring we bought a used 2006 K/B 3 horse, 10' s/w L/Q trailer which looked like new with Firestone tires which also looked like new.  After our second blowout within one month (different trips), we started becoming paranoid & started checking only to find that the tires were "E" (10 ply), and the plate on the trailer called for "F" (12 ply).  We intend to do more long distance traveling once we retire in 2 years and after a lot of research, we decided to put on the Goodyear G614RST since it is a heavier tire than the trailer calls and a good investment given the fact we intend to keep the trailer for a long time.  We have also joined U S Rider and in their most recent magazine, there was an article about a woman who had four blowouts in one trip and from the picture looks like she had a 3 horse LQ trailer (can sympathize with how she must have felt).  It's great to know they are only a phone call away but we would like to do all we can to prevent having a blowout in the first place.  I did a search but could find no thread about tire monitors.  I searched the internet and there are alot of brands, etc. out there and was wondering if anyone uses them on their trailer and/ortruck and can recommend if they are worth the investment and what brand, etc. would be good.  From what I read, it appears they tell you if tire pressure is low, high temperature alert, etc.  Looks like once you have the monitor, you could also put sensors on the truck as well which might not be a bad idea to help prevent an accident.  Would appreciate any advice or experience anyone has had with them. 

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
doughbelly
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2011-08-03 6:27 PM (#136438 - in reply to #136435)
Subject: RE: tire monitors?

Veteran

Zoe; I have the same trailer as you and have pulled several thousand miles; Arkansas-New mexico etc. I have the Good Years on it and i have blown 2 of them. I pay particular attention to tire pressure and moniter the heat with a infrared thermometer at every stop. The Goodyears i think will be fine on shorter hauls and cooler weather. Before we take our next long trip there will be 17.5 on the trailer.
captclank
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2011-08-03 7:00 PM (#136440 - in reply to #136435)

Veteran

I have used Pressure Pro monitors for 5 years now and they have more than paid for themselves. Easy to use and I feel safer. I move the tire monitors from my regular 3 horse to my LQ and then to my utility trailer as needed. Just make sure to put them on the same tire position when you move them.
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2011-08-03 9:26 PM (#136443 - in reply to #136435)

Expert

We also use them on the truck and trailer, they have saved us having blowouts and damaging the aluminum trailer...you must use metal valve stems...they work GREAT!

Zoe
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2011-08-08 6:13 AM (#136533 - in reply to #136435)

Regular

Doughbelly, I was really disappointed to read that you blew 2 of the Goodyear tires.  We had contacted a good friend who has a 2000 Sundowner 4 horse w/10' LQ & ususally hauls 3 horses & these tires had come on his trailer from the factory & he had them on for 10 years w/abt 40,000 miles on them w/no problems.  I was impressed but I told him he was way overdue for new tires & he wound up having 2 blowouts last year on the same trip (his fault because 10 years is too long for any tire).  However, based on his experience & others we spoke to & what I read, I felt really good about buying the Goodyears.  Flyingfarm, do you use the same brand monitor as Captclank?  Definitely sounds like a good investment.
doughbelly
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2011-08-08 7:11 AM (#136534 - in reply to #136435)

Veteran

Zoe; I am not knocking the Goodyear tires; Its just that we are loaded right at the capacity of the tire. We travel Gravel Forest Service Roads occassionally(slow ) and with the 16 inch tires there's just not enough buffer. I have had great service out of Hankook tires on my equipment trailers that are frequently over loaded but that is local and shorter distance's however I think the Goodyear is a far better tire. In the very near future I am going to change wheels and tires to 17.5's to get a considerably higher load rating and hopefully a little more peace of mine.
doughbelly
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2011-08-08 7:27 AM (#136535 - in reply to #136435)

Veteran

Zoe; These figures are not exact but the Goodyears are rated around 3750#, with the 17.5's I can go to an H load rated tire with a load rating of 4800 # plus and the tires are a little cheaper. I am not trying to increase the load capacity of the trailer just trying to have a buffer on the capacity of the tire. there are individuals on here that know a lot more than I and some have probably already done this conversion. would like to hear from them.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2011-08-08 7:31 AM (#136536 - in reply to #136534)

Expert

Originally written by doughbelly on 2011-08-08 7:11 AM

Zoe; I am not knocking the Goodyear tires; Its just that we are loaded right at the capacity of the tire. We travel Gravel Forest Service Roads occassionally(slow ) and with the 16 inch tires there's just not enough buffer. I have had great service out of Hankook tires on my equipment trailers that are frequently over loaded but that is local and shorter distance's however I think the Goodyear is a far better tire. In the very near future I am going to change wheels and tires to 17.5's to get a considerably higher load rating and hopefully a little more peace of mine.

You can buy a 215-75-17.5 lrH tire and wheel for what a G614RST cost for the tire alone.... Check out these prices below on tire and wheel assembly's....!!!

http://www.easternmarine.com/HERCULES-LT215/75R-175-RADIAL-Tire-Sil-Modular-Rim-8-Lug-LR-H-/

http://www.easternmarine.com/GOODYEAR-LT235/85R-16-RADIAL-Tire-Sil-Modular-Rim-8-Lug-LR-G-/

Edited by retento 2011-08-08 7:33 AM
doughbelly
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2011-08-08 7:55 AM (#136537 - in reply to #136435)

Veteran

Don't hold me to it but after the last blow out(I had a new Goodyear Spare and put it on the ground) I priced a Goodyear and the best I remember it was over $450.00. I replaced the spare with a hankook till I could do a complete change over.
genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2011-08-08 10:25 AM (#136540 - in reply to #136435)

Elite Veteran

I replaced two blown tires with the Goodyear 614's one month ago for $341 each, mounted, emergency service. Have since priced to replace the other two and the best I can do is $352 each unmounted. Highest was $365 unmounted.
doughbelly
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2011-08-08 11:13 AM (#136543 - in reply to #136435)

Veteran

Kinda think the variations might be if they tires were already in stock or they are just replacing them from a distributer as fast as prices are increasing. Course (lol) may be brother getting even since he owns the tire store.
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2011-08-08 12:46 PM (#136550 - in reply to #136435)

Expert

Yes, we do.  They have sure saved our trailer from being beat up on a cross country trip in a very hot June.  They also give you the temp of your tire (they often heat up considerably when failure is imminent)  The screen gives a rolling info of each tire picturing it in its location, and we also have em on the truck, which is very nice with a dually.  You can swap em from trailer to trailer (keeping positions the same) and program em for the tire pressure you wish to have, so that it will alarm if it gets above or below that pressure very much.  There is a special tool to put em on with, so it is unlikely they would be stolen.
Zoe
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2011-08-08 5:17 PM (#136561 - in reply to #136435)

Regular

Thanks, Flyinghfarm & Captclank.  I had started looking at the one offered by Camping World but I think it is a different brand?  I will Google & check out the Pressure Pro.  Genebob & Doughbelly when I saw what you were paying, I didn't want to respond regarding what we paid for the Goodyears until I had my bill in front of me, but we purchased our G614RST (LT235/85R16G) on 6/23/10 for $255 each which came to a total of 276.95 each mounted, balanced & sales tax through our local garage who works on our Subaru car.  He also happens to be into horses and has them on his Twister trailer which is 3 horse w/10' LQ & he had also highly recommended them.  I was there when he shopped his local suppliers since he said they would be expensive & he wanted to make sure we were OK with the price & he had them for us within a day.   I had already priced local tire dealers so I knew it was a good price plus his shop is closer & no manuveuring to get in & out with the trailer.  Goodyear also happened to have a rebate on line and we got an additional $40 back ($10 per tire).  Wow, I can't believe they went up that much!

doughbelly
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2011-08-08 7:16 PM (#136569 - in reply to #136435)

Veteran

Thats great; I do believe they are the best tire you can put on a trailer but i am wanting more of a cushion on load rating, i am going to have to check this tire monitor out thats the reason i used an infrared thermomator where I could check the heat of the tires and bearings.
Zoe
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2011-08-09 12:25 PM (#136581 - in reply to #136435)

Regular

I went into the two sites that Retento gave and the $345 price for the Goodyears includes the rims.  We were forntunate that our rims would handle the Goodyears so we only had to purchase the tire so that probably made up a good part of the difference.  I also checked out the tire monitors in Camping World and the brand is Hopkins & cheaper than the Pressure Pro since it comes with 4 transmitters but the customer reviews were 50/50 with some customers being very dissatisfied and returning them since they couldn't get it to work properly & they suggested you purchase the antenna booster in most instances (more $$).  Basic price for the Pressure Pro monitor is $205; cost adds up depending on how many transmitters you buy @$50 each so if you are happy to just do the trailer, not bad.  But you can always buy ones for the truck later!  I also like that folks on the forum have used them and were very satisfied.
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2011-08-09 1:43 PM (#136584 - in reply to #136435)

Expert

Remember, at least our experience, that you need metal valve stems, and really snug those sensors on.  With the rubber valve stems, you can get a lot of jiggly vibrations, and a slow leak through the sensor is still a slow leak that you can do without.  Never ever had this happen on metal valve stems (which also give you a more accurate temperature reading, too)  We love ours...

Edited by flyinghfarm 2011-08-09 1:45 PM
doughbelly
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2011-08-09 4:21 PM (#136586 - in reply to #136435)

Veteran

Anytime your running above 60+ pounds with any kind of load, it would be wise to have metal valve stems.  Rubber valve stems at 110psi will not last long. there is a rating for rubber valve stems not sure exactly what it is but it will be in the area of 60 to 75 lbs max.

Zoe
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2011-08-09 8:11 PM (#136588 - in reply to #136435)

Regular

Thanks for all the great info.  It's those little details like using metal valve stems that you learn from other people's experiences that save you!  I think everyone on this forum tries to "pass it forward" to keep others from learning the hard way.  Doughbelly, it sounds like going to the 17.5 tire is a good move for you & let us know if it's an easy transition.  I noticed that is what is on our friend's trailer who have a 30' Equi-Spirit.  I was curious if that will make your trailer sit a little higher?
doughbelly
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2011-08-09 8:49 PM (#136589 - in reply to #136435)

Veteran

Zoe; U can get wheels from Southwest Wheels that are a direct replacement to the OEM wheels around $230.00 plus shipping (approx) for Alcoa Alum wheels. Depending on the size of the 17.5's some sizes will be smaller than 16's.
tom-tom
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2011-08-10 9:21 AM (#136594 - in reply to #136435)

Extreme Veteran

tom-tom
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2011-08-10 9:29 AM (#136595 - in reply to #136435)

Extreme Veteran

I am currently upgrading to a 19.5 tire and wheel.  The wheels are from Vision Wheels and are set up for the 8 on 6.5 bolt pattern.  The advantage of the 19.5 is there are a lot more tire options available.  It moves you into a standard commercial tire.  Looks like I will have about $2000 in the change out.  I have plenty of clearance as my trailer has blocked axles and the overall height and width is about the same size as my 16" Goodyears.  I found a good article on one of the diesel truck magazine websites where they did the same thing to a dually and a 5th wheel.  Quotes I had on replacing my Goodyear 14 plys were going to be about $1400 and I was right at the max weight limit.  Was already planning on upgrading to 17.5's and while checking on them it seemed to make sense to move on up into a commerical over the road tire.  Hopefully I will get a lot more miles and years use out of them.  My current goodyears only lasted 2 1/2 years. 
Zoe
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2011-08-10 8:52 PM (#136619 - in reply to #136435)

Regular

How big is your trailer and what is your GVW?  I was really feeling comfortable about the Goodyears but now I'm wondering?  However, I did buy a tire warranty when I bought the trailer & it covers both truck & trailer for blowouts and I'm good for the next 6 years.  Didn't know it at the time, but it turned out to be one of the best purchases I made! Our longest haul is about 300 miles right now so I think getting the tire monitors would be a good investment.  My husband is retiring next year & I have 2 more years to go but then we are hoping to hit the road and go for maybe a month or two & hit a lot of different states.  We had the truck & trailer weighed w/clothing, tack, etc. but w/o the horses and we were around 18,300 combined.  We will have to see how we do but this is good to know if we come to that bridge & find ourselves needing to upgrade.  When Retento put up those sites with the tire prices, the 17.5 tires were $292 including rims but I don't know if those rims would fit the trailer.  Like he said, they were cheaper than the Goodyears w/rims.  Maybe that site would also have the 19.5's but I don't know if shipping would run up the cost?

?

doughbelly
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2011-08-10 11:24 PM (#136623 - in reply to #136435)

Veteran

Zoe What type of conversion do you have on your Kiefer; I weighed mine loaded with two horses and hay for two weeks; extra Propane bottles and with a Cutter Conversion package truck and trailer was right at 25'500 #s. If that is your actual weight and not doubting that at all you will more than likely be all right. my biggest concern is I'm so heavy and a lot of times we will travel 20 to 30 miles on Forest Service gravel roads to some of these Campsites and loaded on gravel is murder on that back trailer tire. I found the 19.5's interesting and have to look at it but I do know they are a lot higher than 17.5's. I don't particulary worry about the tread wear on the trailer tires because usually they need to be changed from age before they ever get close to being wore out.

Two years ago we were camped at McCrystal in the Valle Vidal and it was right at 20 or so miles in there and just about every trailer that came in there had a flat and the nearest place to get it fixed was Raton about 60 miles away.

Zoe
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2011-08-11 6:52 AM (#136625 - in reply to #136435)

Regular

Our trailer has an L S R Conversion.  I fell in love with it the minute I saw it!  Had most of the "must haves" that I wanted & then some (satelite dish, electric awning) I also like the fact that K/B's are lined & insulated in the horse area & this one had fans installed, has the enclosed front w/shelf so we can easily take an extra 20 lb propane tank, etc.  & has the high full front stall divider all the way across which was great since  we intend to haul our hay in the 3rd stall. A friend of mine who travels buys compacted alfalfa bales (really neat) so she can take more hay because she will go a month or so at a time.  We do not currently have a roof rack but can add one if & when we feel we need it.  Nose is 7'6" and full closet across the front & the side closets as well. Hubby has a tool box in truck bed (height of the rails) and we have a 50 gallon water tank between it & the gooseneck hitch.  We have the dinette & water tanks under each bench & I'm guessing they are 30 gal each.  We get by with a 1,000 watt Honda generator - our truck camper didn't have roof air but in PA mountains we didn't need it.  It will run the fan for air circulation, just not the air conditioner.  As much as I like all the goodies, we've camped primitive for 30+ years & you only needed your batteries for lights & the water pump since fridge & heater worked on propane alone, didn't have electronic ignition & blowers for heat - everthing now draws on the batteries so you can't be w/o a generator to recharge them.  I also wanted to keep the length to 24' box so hopefully we can get into most camping areas w/o a problem.  We are pulling with a '99 Ford F-350 dually 7.3 P/S Diesel (just turned 56,000  miles).  I wanted hubby to put an exhaust brake on it but says we don't need it but I would feel safer.  He talks about "maybe" getting a new truck but with all I read about this regen/additive stuff not to mention how much they cost, I'm thinking we should keep what we have since it's paid for and seems to be the best engine Ford had.  Tom Tom, I'm curious as to what you have & are pulling with since you are also borderline in weight?

tom-tom
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2011-08-11 2:15 PM (#136637 - in reply to #136435)

Extreme Veteran

I have a 4h exiss 14'lq with slide hay rack, genset on roof, ramp. 8K axles with elect hydraulic disc brakes. I pull with a '02 F350. Last time I weighed we were coming home with 4 horses no hay/feed and tanks were empty we weigh 26,560#'s. From what I have been told by several tire people is that my tires were blowing as a result of going thru too many heat cycles. The tires were made 0808. We have traveled a good bit in the south east. Went to Texas last June on a 14hr trip. I think I was just too close on the weight limit of the tire. I know on my trailer axles I carry 13,860#'s. So I am not overloaded on those. There really hasn't been a pattern to the blow outs. The first tire was right front in December. Then left rear 3 weeks ago, and now left front. One of the reasons I was looking at different sizes is that you are so limited on tires for the 14 ply 16" wheels. Kinda the same thing on the 17.5's. When you step on up to the 19.5's you get a lot more choices and if you are near a truck stop can probably find one on the road if necessary. Clearances for me is not an issue as I have my trailer axles blocked 3" so I don't have to worry about dragging my holding tanks off. Just got my tires and wheels in today and hope to get them on the trailer this weekend as we will be using it next weekend on a 6+ hour trip.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)