'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Poll Best user-friendly handheld GPS

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2015-03-15 6:22 AM
17 replies, 16926 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

aceliberty
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2011-10-24 10:00 PM (#138486)
Subject: Best user-friendly handheld GPS

Extreme Veteran

For years I used a handheld Garmin E-trex to navigate/save POI's. Then I gave it away and eventurally purchased a Magellen Explorist 500 since it had a larger screen. During my last trip to Shawnee and LOVING the new trails at High Knob, my Magellen failed to save my track logs. I do mounted search & rescue, so I really do need a new reliable handheld GPS. Any suggestions as to what is the top and can show area maps? I also like to download my tracks/ POI's to the laptop.

Appreciate any suggestions. Tks

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
robdnorm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2011-10-24 10:24 PM (#138492 - in reply to #138486)
Subject: RE: Best user-friendly handheld GPS

Extreme Veteran

I have a Garmin Dakota.  It is a year or so old, but it allows me to show all my tracks and download if I want to.  You had to purchase the topo maps for roughly one hundred dollars.  However, you can purchase some that already have them loaded for you.  It is extremely user friendly.  I had never used one before receiving this as a gift and had it picked up within a few minutes on the trail.
ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2011-10-25 2:37 AM (#138496 - in reply to #138486)

Elite Veteran

I have a Garmin Oregon550T.. I like it very much.. This month's The Trail Rider magazine has an article on GPS's
doughbelly
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2011-10-25 4:18 AM (#138497 - in reply to #138486)

Veteran

Delorme
Bleve
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2011-10-25 10:00 AM (#138509 - in reply to #138486)

Regular

I still use a Garmin e-Trex Vista HCX, saves my tracks and POI's and you can save them to your computer for later reference. As far as maps, have you checked out http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/ all sorts of free maps.
Bleve
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2011-10-25 10:05 AM (#138510 - in reply to #138486)

Regular

I still use a Garmin e-Trex Vista HCX, saves my tracks and POI's and you can save them to your computer for later reference. As far as maps, have you checked out http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/ all sorts of free maps.
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2011-10-26 11:43 PM (#138537 - in reply to #138486)

Expert

I also do mounted SAR, and use a Garmin 550T... one useful feature for this work is its ability to photograph and Geo-tag the location for possible ID of the scene for law enforcement use.  It works very well, and is easy to map, and use in the field.
cajunmuleman
Reg. Oct 2011
Posted 2011-10-27 7:05 AM (#138538 - in reply to #138486)

Elite Veteran

I just bought a Garmin etrex 30 and am VERY unhappy because all it comes with is a quick start guide. This guide tells you VERY little about the unit. I would not suggest anyone buy this unit.
aceliberty
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2011-10-27 10:04 PM (#138562 - in reply to #138486)

Extreme Veteran

Cajunmuleman, My first handheld was a Gamin E-trex, too. That was years ago. One would think that Garmin would do a better job with the Quickstart guide. I finally gave up, took the thing outside, walked around the yard and figured the thing out for myself. I liked it, but traded it for some DVD's I wanted. Reason I then bought the Magellen was because it had a bigger screen. I got along fine with it till it failed to save my last tracks. Now I get a permanent hourglass spinning.

Glad for the input, everyone. I forgot to mention "cheap" and reliable. Also, appreciate the website for the map downloads. I will definitely take advantage of that site.

randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2011-10-28 6:54 PM (#138587 - in reply to #138562)

Extreme Veteran

I've been using the Garmin Vista HCX for several years now and am very happy with its performance. I think the only drawback is the small screen. I would like to get one with a larger screen and was just beginning to investigate that. As for the guide, just go online and read the user guide on the Garmin website. It seems most things only come with some very sketchy start up guide these days. Also, don't forget to check for updates for your device on the Garmin (or other manufacturer) website. An update fixed a problem with my unit and I've not had a problem since.
aceliberty
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2011-10-30 10:06 AM (#138620 - in reply to #138486)

Extreme Veteran

Tammy, A friend of mine also recommended the same unit you suggested. She offered to share the maps she bought if I buy a Garmin. I will probably take your advice and buy the Vista. So now I guess my next move will be to shop around for the best price! Appreciate the tip about updates.
williambart
Reg. Dec 2011
Posted 2011-12-31 7:49 PM (#139759 - in reply to #138486)

New User

I have been using a GPS for the last 12 years. The first one was a Garmin 12 over the years I have moved up to Garmin GPS map 60CSx  the X stands for a high sensitive that is a lot easier to use in the forest. The map 60CSx also has a electronic compass that works without moving, It comes in real handy on the back of a horse to know which way to go, before you put the GPS away and move on down the trail.

For Safety reason I wouldn’t go riding without a GPS anymore. Just this last year I watch a helicopter flying around for over an hour, looking for a lady, that her horse fell on her. If they had her GPS location they could have went right to her,

With Garmin, each time I called customer service I had to wait for about 15 minutes, but when I got thru they took their time with me to be sure that I understood and had everything working correctly before they ended the call.

With MapSource and a Garmin GPS you can save all your track, waypoints, and maps then move them back and forth from your PC and GPS. The next time you plain to go back to a place that you have been before you load your GPS and use the track and waypoints again.

I have saved the track and waypoints from Big Creek in MO for the last five years. if anybody is interest I will E mail

If anybody has track and waypoints that they saved in MO and IL and would be interested in sharing please let me know.

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2012-01-01 7:12 PM (#139778 - in reply to #138486)

Expert

In our mounted search/rescue we use Garmin Rino 530 CX, I also use a Garmin Oregon 550T. Both are great with mapping functions, get signal very quickly and are good in thick growth. The Rino has the advantage of location "polling" of other Rino users (their location shows on your screen and vice versa) While the Oregon has a camera that geo-tags photos and uses those images for your waypoint symbols. I use non rechargeable lithium batteries or the factory rechargeable lithium-ion battery pack. They perform really well for our MSAR and also for my personal trail riding and hunting use.
-----
saltwater redneck
Reg. Apr 2009
Posted 2012-01-22 9:17 AM (#140193 - in reply to #138486)

I have one of the Lowrance endura units. It is the Out-N-Back model. I like it ok but I am not totally impressed. I have used the Lowrance stuff for many years in my boats and I was expecting the same common sense easy to use controls. The unit can be a little confusing and the computer to handheld options are very limited. I am lucky to get two 10 to 15 mile rides out of a set of batteries.

Lee

aceliberty
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2012-01-29 10:54 AM (#140372 - in reply to #138486)

Extreme Veteran

Williambart~

I've ridden many times at Big Creek but haven't been there in the past few years due to having to trailer there alone. I get too tired on the return trip home, plus navigating around St. Louis is a lot safer having someone riding shotgun with me. Perhaps we've even been on some of the same rides.

Anyway, I'd love for you to e-mail me your tracks and/or waypoints. I just sold my Magellen and recently bought a new Garmin. (I started this thread when trying to decide on the purchase.) I do intend on making it back down to Big Creek in the future.

I ride down in Shawnee but at this point don't have anything to share with you since I bought my new GPS after my last trip down in November. So I'll have information to share this coming riding season. Thanks ahead of time. My e-mail addie is aceliberty@hotmail.com   Please put Garmin GPS in the subject line so I know it's not spam. 

ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2012-02-01 1:02 PM (#140485 - in reply to #139759)

Elite Veteran

"Just this last year I watch a helicopter flying around for over an hour, looking for a lady, that her horse fell on her. If they had her GPS location they could have went right to her/"

Would that have been at 4J Big Piney in Sept.? There was three life flights that week!  

I'd be interested in your Big Creek GPS coordinates as I have friends going there later this year on my recommendation. We love Big Creek too and try to go at least twice a year. I'll send you a private message.

khazyari
Reg. Feb 2015
Posted 2015-02-19 7:27 AM (#162626 - in reply to #139759)

New User

please email me the big creek maps thank you
Ctribble
Reg. Mar 2015
Posted 2015-03-15 6:22 AM (#162866 - in reply to #138486)

New User

I use the app. trails on my iPhone/iPad. Along with Dual GPS (Satellite locater). The Dual cost me $100.00 and the apps are free. Before I go camping while I still have the internet I zoom in on the area I will be riding, so I can zoom in on the terrain. I also will take quick charge batteries that will recharge my iPhone or iPad while on the trail. The Dual stays charged for 10 hrs.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)