'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Range cubes

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-12-30 9:51 AM
2 replies, 6742 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

bigfoot
Reg. Dec 2010
Posted 2011-12-29 8:56 PM (#139728)
Subject: Range cubes

Regular

Anyone ever feed any range cubes to their horses. I know they would be more expensive than hay, but I am certain my square bales are going to run out before late spring. I think I will have some rolled hay (that's been kept inside) left over. I could feed them to the horses instead of the cows, but it's some pretty common grass hay. I like a orchard grass alfalfa mix for my horses. The problem is I am wintering four head, instead of my normal two.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gliderider
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2011-12-29 10:02 PM (#139730 - in reply to #139728)
Subject: RE: Range cubes

Veteran

Watch out for choke. I have had horses do just fine on them but also had a few choke on them. For those who choked I had to wet it down/ soke the cubes before I feeding. When feeding cubes I fed three or four times a day instead of twice.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2011-12-30 9:51 AM (#139745 - in reply to #139728)
Subject: RE: Range cubes

Expert

I feed cubed or pelleted hay to my horses when I pack into remote areas.  Forest Service and BLM requirements for certified hay mean I have to purchase something other than my normal hay. So hay cubes are often what I get.  Feed by weight.  If the horses need 20 lbs of feed a day, weigh it out and feed 20 lbs.  Hay cubes don't look like a lot and the horses will finish them off faster than picking at baled hay. So you will be tempted to feed more than they need.

If you know you will run out of hay, Either start adding a few cubes with the daily feed now to stretch the hay you have. Then you won't have to feed 100% cubes come April. Or start looking for additional hay now. I know our local website have lots of listing for hay for sale. It's just more expensive now than it was last summer. But probably cheaper now than it will be in April.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)