'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
What do carrying in emergency kit in a saddle bag

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2013-06-11 5:06 PM
10 replies, 7644 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

horsin around
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2012-09-22 6:13 PM (#147146)
Subject: What do carrying in emergency kit in a saddle bag

Extreme Veteran

A couple of weekends ago we were just leaving the campground to go home when a lady ran up to us on her horse and said her sister was hurt really bad and needed help and where she was at. My friend I was with was an emergency room nurse so we jogged down to where she was at about 3/4 mile from camp. We were the first to get there and within a couple of minutes a few other people were riding by. My friend started asking questions on what people had on hand like vet wrap etc. and someone did have a small kits with them and had some tape. In the end the lady had a broken arm, three cracked ribs and a punctured lung and a 4 wheeler/mule hauled her out.It started me thinking about what I carry with me on the trail and feel I should have more than the basis band aids. I'm getting ready to leave next week to go on a horse riding vacation and have started a put together a safety kit to carry in the saddlebag.What would you suggest to add that's fairly compact and would fit in a saddlebag? Thanks!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
ghbb41
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2012-09-24 12:02 PM (#147174 - in reply to #147146)
Subject: RE: What do carrying in emergency kit in a saddle bag

Veteran

I have been trail riding for years, here is what I keep with me that I have found to be very useful(I am a nurse also)

leatherman tool,duck tape, adhesive tape,vet wrap, guaze dressing, set of shoe strings.bandaids,triangular bandage, 4 inch ace wrap.very small bottle of white vinegar for bee stings, benadryl,advil and tylenol. I have this is in a zip lock gallon bag, just put it in my saddle bags. You can add a lot more but this is very basic and allows you to easily carry it.

The triangular bandage is sold at drug stores, very inexpensive. It is amazing what you can do with duck tape and some guaze.

bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2012-09-24 5:33 PM (#147187 - in reply to #147174)

Extreme Veteran

Add to the above, banamine paste, electrolyte paste, at least 2 ladies feminine napkin(best bandage there is, and works great to pack a sore footed horse also), a 6" inch square of heavy vinyl(cut to size and duct tape to hoof, for lost shoe, or sore foot), epinephrine(a must). Allergic reactions can be live threatening. All too many times, benadryl will not do it. 100 ft of 1/8" parachute cord. Sterile Needle and thread( major cuts must be sutured quick, on horse or human). Matches in waterproof container. Large light weight rain coat, or something you can get a victim in the dry. If traveling in cold weather, a polar blanket. Hypothermia and/or shock kills quick.
JacciB
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2012-09-26 3:27 PM (#147250 - in reply to #147146)

Extreme Veteran

A small zip lock bag of flour, it's great for clotting large cuts/wounds and can easily be washed out once you are back at camp.  Two 4 - 6" piece of clean garden hose and some vaseline.  You are probably wondering what the heck???? I thought the same thing the first time I saw this, it is for people who ride in areas with a big snake population.  Quite often when a horse gets snake bit it is on the nose, the nostrils can swell shut causing the horse breathing trouble.  Put vaseline all around the outside of the garden hose and gently ease into the nasal cavity leaving 2 - 3" outside the nose for air passage..  I haven't had to do this and hope I never do!
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2012-09-30 1:32 PM (#147331 - in reply to #147146)

Expert

skin stapler and sam splint added to most of the above and you have a pretty good compact package. I also use the syringe minus a needle to support the nostrils of a horse if snakebite occurs on the muzzle/head area.  Super glue can be used as a laceration adhesive in a pinch.
horsin around
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2012-10-13 8:53 AM (#147633 - in reply to #147146)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks everyone for your good ideas. We had someone on vacation in the campground this year find out first hand one of your most important safety precautions you can take is to be riding a safe animal.

He was a 70 years old and had taken up riding three years ago for the first time since childhood. He was riding a green broke mule...training himself.. Green on green doesn't just cause black and blue, he ended up with eight cracked ribs, collapsed lung & factured his shoulder.
RidnClyde
Reg. Jun 2012
Posted 2012-10-15 1:30 PM (#147666 - in reply to #147146)

Regular

Never thought I'd have to carry one but getting ready for a rideout this past weekend and my horse's muscles starting twitching.  I warmed him up real good and let him graze around in the sun with a "cooler" on until they stopped.  Then loaded up a needed of Banamine.  I didn't use it but there was peace of mind having it.
cajunmuleman
Reg. Oct 2011
Posted 2012-10-15 5:21 PM (#147675 - in reply to #147146)

Elite Veteran

I don't recall the name but Craig Cameron promotes a gauze wrap product that claims to stop bleeding. It is a product that was adapted from the US military. It has a three year shelf life and looks like it would be great in an emergency kit. I wanted to remember the name but didn't. If I see it again I will post it.
CML
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2013-06-11 2:36 PM (#152624 - in reply to #147146)

We had a horse + mule wreck on our ride last weekend as we came back into camp.  Two people had to be ambulanced out from the scene and flown to trauma centers.  The experience it brought up a new few things to add to my saddlebag list.   Your personal info: copy of drivers license, copy of insurance card, your ICE contacts (include durable of atty contact in case you are knocked out in the field or by MDs in the hosp), your medication list and allergies, horse and dog vet, your MD too.  Let a buddy know where you keep this in your saddlebags and dupicate it in your trailer.  Let your buddy know where your rig keys are kept.   We had no cell service, but one rider had a satellite phone which made a huge difference in response time for EMS. Sat phones are rentable, and well worth it for remote rides.  Ride safe out there!!

horsin around
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2013-06-11 3:53 PM (#152627 - in reply to #147146)

Extreme Veteran

Sorry to hear you had to go through an experience like that. Very good idea to add your contacts, medicial history as well as vet information.

Hope all riders and animals involved are getting better.
CML
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2013-06-11 5:06 PM (#152630 - in reply to #147146)

Thanks, the animals are fine.  Both riders came off at a dead run, one rolled 10x and is just severly bruised, but seemed the very critical at the scene.  The other hit hard, was knocked out, broken ribs, collapsed lung, pelvis broken in two places and a spine injury.  She should heal without surgery believe it or not!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)