'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Centerpoint (Buffalo River)

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2013-06-24 10:35 AM
7 replies, 5177 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

CTRider
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2013-05-14 1:38 PM (#151983)
Subject: Centerpoint (Buffalo River)

Extreme Veteran

Anyone stayed at Centerpoint RV and Horsecamp near the Buffalo River near Ponca and Compton? We are looking for a place we can easily get the LQ to for camping and riding/exploring the river and found this. Descriptions of the Steele Camp sound way too scary for me to pull my LQ to. Says Erbie ? is closed.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2013-05-14 4:21 PM (#151986 - in reply to #151983)
Subject: RE: Centerpoint (Buffalo River)

Expert

I know someone that camps frequently at Erbie,I will email and ask.It could be just temporary because of all of the rain we have had here in Ar.Steel creek has paved the road down to the river now,but,it's still a pretty steep drop.But,if you are up there on the mountain that far anyway,you are going to have to come down on the highway one direction or the other,so,it's no worse than that.Just have to have substantial truck to hold it with.

We camped at Buffalo River Ranch Resort not far from the turnoff down to Steel Creek,but,I have not been able to find out yet if they are still open.You have to ride down to the river,about an hour trip,and, rather challenging.Horses have to be in good shape (helps if you are also) and have good shoes on.

pooperscooper
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2013-05-14 5:29 PM (#151995 - in reply to #151983)

Veteran

Erbie is closed due to the government budget cuts. Steel Creek is a beautiful campground but the road is extremely steep and winding going down. The sites are first come so you might pull all the way down there and not have a place to camp and there isn't any over flow camping.  Centerpoint is small and if you have avery big trailer there's only a couple of sites that you could fit into. The pens were falling down and we nailed them back together. Didnt use the bath house so have no idea on that. The campground is clean and the people are nice. You have to ride an hour and twenty minutes down a rocky steep trail and then back up it every day so depending how long you ride an large part is going to be the same. If you could trailer out then you could go to Ponca and start or to Compton all within 15 or 20 minutes. We like camping at Woolum near St. Joe. Right on the river, not too bad of a road, we get in with a 40 ft. Primitive and free camping. Lots of trails in all directions but if the river is up you can't ride much as most of the trails are across or back and forth across the river.
CTRider
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2013-05-15 2:45 PM (#152007 - in reply to #151983)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks, this is the type of info I was looking for. I prefer to camp with electrical hookups, hence Centerpoint interested me. Also can stall the horses and go site seeing during the day. We have a 4 WD 1 ton dually w/exhaust brake and a 3 horse 10ft short wall LQ. The steep rocky riding isnt an issue. In fact, its what we are hunting. We regularly ride 60 mile weekends in CTR competition so will be good summer conditioning. Descriptions of the road into Steele Camp sound so much scarier than the highway, haha. Maybe because it was gravel ?  We have not ridden very many places in Arkansas and never at Buffalo River so wanted to explore it this summer while off work. We have been to the trails at Mack's Pines (competition there) and ridden Bar 50, and I think that is it for Arkansas. Hope to remedy that.
cajunmuleman
Reg. Oct 2011
Posted 2013-05-15 3:34 PM (#152009 - in reply to #151983)

Elite Veteran

cajunmuleman
Reg. Oct 2011
Posted 2013-05-15 3:41 PM (#152010 - in reply to #151983)

Elite Veteran

While riding in the area recently we took a break one day to go check out Steele Creek. The other posters are absolutely correct, it is extremely steep going down to the camp ground. The sign says "Not recommended for RVs or Buses". The scenery is nice, the camp ground is nice & the bath house is clean, but our rigs are to big to get down there. We were told by a local that several times every year someone tries it an has to get a wrecker to help them get down to the bottom just to turn around and help them up.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2013-05-26 10:18 PM (#152258 - in reply to #152010)

Expert

Still unable to find out anything about Buffalo River Ranch (Jim Culver's place),whether or not it is open,Jim had full hookups and the pens were pretty large there,large indoor arena.The only nerve wracking part of it was the road back down to jasper (the highway.) But there is no riding like riding on the Buffalo.

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2013-06-24 10:35 AM (#152914 - in reply to #151995)

Expert

Was emailed by a friend who camped down at Erbie frequently,that Back Country Horsemen signed an agreement with the Park Service to maintain the campground,so,Erbie is opened up again now.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)