'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
High Knob Opinions?!?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2013-07-16 10:58 AM
9 replies, 6285 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Bootlegger
Reg. May 2013
Posted 2013-05-27 11:41 PM (#152282)
Subject: High Knob Opinions?!?

New User

I am a new member to this site, I have quite often been on here and read the posts but never have become a member until today!

I have read quite a few comments RE: High Knob Campground but they all seem to be older posts... I was wondering if anyone has been there recently and knows what the conditions are?

I have met and talked to some people who love it there but they all seem to have been going there a while and their opinions seem to be rather partial... I'm just trying to feel out some opinions from people who camp all over the Shawnee and beyond!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
ClaudiaIN
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2013-05-29 12:43 PM (#152314 - in reply to #152282)
Subject: RE: High Knob Opinions?!?

Veteran

High Knob is a GREAT location for riding-- close to Garden of the Gods, etc

Most sites are unlevel and out in the open--  stalls are nice

The camp owner however, is unpredictable - sometimes she is very friendly/helpful-- other times--

We have camped at Hayes Canyon, Bear Branch, High Knob and Double M in the Shawnee Forest

bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2013-05-29 6:59 PM (#152322 - in reply to #152314)

Extreme Veteran

"The camp owner however, is unpredictable - sometimes she is very friendly/helpful-- other times--"

It's about a 50/50 situation with the owner. 1/2 of the folks think she is great, the other 1/2 can not tolerate her.

The biggest problem I've seen with High Knob, is it's lack of trails. You can ride all of the trails close by in 3 or 4 days, or less.

Two of the more popular camp grounds in the Shawnee are Little Lusk and Hayes Canyon. They are both nice facilities and lots of close by trails.
Bootlegger
Reg. May 2013
Posted 2013-05-29 7:06 PM (#152323 - in reply to #152282)

New User

Really? That is the one thing I have heard is really good about that particular camp is the riding and the trails and how great it is... Despite anyone's feelings about the owner... Hmmm something don't sound tight here?!
ClaudiaIN
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2013-05-30 8:42 AM (#152330 - in reply to #152323)

Veteran

For us "average" riders-- High Knob has more than enough riding -- you can go east and west of camp

I know bbsmg- and he rides more in one day than most people ride in 2 or 3   :-)   - you'll be fine.

I still believe the rock formations are better out of High Knob or Double M

Hi Bob   

onemileatatime
Reg. Apr 2009
Posted 2013-05-31 7:50 AM (#152368 - in reply to #152282)

Regular

I would check out Double M. It is in the same general area as High Knob, much better owners and much nicer campground.  MUCH MUCH nicer campground and the riding is just as nice with a lot more of it.
bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2013-05-31 8:29 AM (#152369 - in reply to #152330)

Extreme Veteran

"I know bbsmg- and he rides more in one day than most people ride in 2 or 3 :-)"

Not at High Knob, we don't. Those trails are far to rocky for riding very fast. The trails around High Knob are scenic, there's just not very many of them. Even the QH, peanut pushers, complain about the lack of trails close by.

Unfortunately, there were more trails in the area, but they were not used for years, and now they are gone.

High Knob, is a good, long weekend camp if you don't mind the rocky trails. The trails around High Knob and the ones near Jackson Falls are the rockiest trails in the Shawnee. Both very scenic, but slow riding.
j&j
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2013-06-02 7:05 AM (#152392 - in reply to #152282)

Veteran

To see the best rock formations and oddities, you need to ride some rocky trails. They go hand in hand. We do not speed along the trails, we ride for the scenic views. The trails out of High Knob are not any rockier than anywhere else. There is the same mix of rocky and not rocky. There are a multitude of trails right out of High Knob, both to the east and west. And within a few minutes you can see some awesome sights without having to ride a long way to get to them.
almule
Reg. Jul 2013
Posted 2013-07-13 3:50 PM (#153333 - in reply to #152314)

New User

how was bear creek? was it run down? we are from alabama and worried about traveling that far to be disappointed

what about hayes canyon?

whoaboy
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2013-07-16 10:58 AM (#153383 - in reply to #152282)

Regular

Bear Branch has run down quite a bit over the past few years if you ask me. I stopped going there and started going to Hayes..much nicer campground. Have not stayed at High Knob, but did go visit the campground and was not impressed. The permenent ones were good but for pull ins, the main place they put you that was level is out in the middle...no shade, no trees. Not my idea of a camping site. The nicer ones that appear to be new are very unlevel and then the stalls they built are a hike from where you site may be. I want stalls by my site, not down the road. I can't imagine the trails being any nicer at High Knob than anywhere else.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)