'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
River Valley Lodge and Campground comments??

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2013-06-17 5:48 PM
2 replies, 3695 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

millironk
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2013-06-13 8:27 PM (#152723)
Subject: River Valley Lodge and Campground comments??

Regular

Has any one been to River Valley campground near Shimek Forest in southeast iowa? The website looks like really nice place for horse and rider.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Paul D
Reg. Oct 2009
Posted 2013-06-14 1:54 PM (#152748 - in reply to #152723)
Subject: RE: River Valley Lodge and Campground comments??

Regular

We have been there numerous times over the last 4-5 years. I think they have one of the nicest shower houses I have ever seen at a campground. The trails are varied and they are the type of trails I like, you have a variety of terrain to ride on. This is river bluff country so some trails are challenging to some users, some trails are wide and flat, some are steep and narrow. This year the mud is not as bad as previous years even though we have had a lot of rain in the area. I live about 2.5 hours away and it is one of my favorite destinations. Campsites vary from primitive to all hook ups. Big rigs are not a problem, we have a 30 ft on the floor trailer & CC truck and we can get into all of the sites without much trouble. I have seen much larger rigs camped here as well.
horsin around
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2013-06-17 5:48 PM (#152826 - in reply to #152723)
Subject: RE: River Valley Lodge and Campground comments??

Extreme Veteran

I live locally and the campground is nice.  We've had a lot of rain this year and the local park that borders them (Shimek) has been closed all season except for two weeks.  I've heard the River Valley trails are muddy and I would think they'd have to be with all this rain and Shimek being closed.  The more the trails are traveled when muddy, they worse they get and they never close their trails. 

It's definately a place to put on you're to go to list for camping and riding sometime but I wouldn't advise it now unless you don't mind riding in the mud or roads.  Shimek offers a lot of nice riding so as a rule if you're traveling a distance, I wouldn't come if Shimek is closed unless you're coming for one of their weekend events and not planning trail riding.  Check out their calendar because they always have something going on and sometimes dances too.  It's a good idea to put in a reservation if you want electrical hookups because during event weekends, they book up.  Shimek does offer two primitve campgrounds with a hitching post and fire ring at every site if you can't get in to their campground.

Edited by horsin around 2013-06-17 5:51 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)