'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Saddle blankets and pads

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2013-07-04 8:51 PM
5 replies, 5026 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Bee Gee
Reg. Jan 2013
Posted 2013-06-21 11:55 PM (#152883)
Subject: Saddle blankets and pads

New User

Would like your opinions on western saddle blankets and pads for all day trail rides. Of course every ad seams to say they are the best (HA! HA!) What ones do you like, or what ones do you suggest to stay away from? Tacky advertise to keep saddle in place, but are they any good for long rides? Felt and wool pads seam absorbent, but how do you keep them clean? Synthetics, do they let the horse’s sweat evaporate, or do they keep too much heat in? And all of them come in a variety of price ranges. Thanks for all input.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
horsin around
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2013-06-22 2:29 PM (#152890 - in reply to #152883)
Subject: RE: Saddle blankets and pads

Extreme Veteran

I'm sold on 5 Star pads. The all wool is good for the horses and does absorb the sweat helping to keep them cooler. I've had one for 10 - 12 years when you could buy one for $105.00 and it's still in good shape and I still use it. 5 Star has a sponge to use to clean off and/or take a water hose to it. They don't recommend taking it to a car wash. The prices are high but if you watch Ebay, you can sometimes find good used ones.

I stay away from anything that won't allow the heat to escape. I use to use neoprene girths and switched to mohair for the same reasons. Sometimes pads with gels centers etc can break down with time and my wool pad is the same thickness consistently over the pad with no breakdown.

What ever one you decide on, it's worth buying up for a good pad for your horses back and they'll also last you in the long run.

jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2013-06-22 7:40 PM (#152892 - in reply to #152883)
Subject: RE: Skito pads

Elite Veteran

I do long distance riding and the skito pads are made for and by endurance riders. Tom at Skito can make any shape or size for you. Can get in wool or fleece underside. They also come with removeable inserts so that you can throw pad in the washer. Different colors and prints. Check out Skito.
aztrailrider
Reg. Jul 2010
Posted 2013-06-23 1:28 PM (#152899 - in reply to #152883)

We use Tolklat Woolback pads. They are machine washable and can be dried in the dryer on air fluff. Our pads do not slip and they wash up very nicely. I have had mine for several years. We ride with Sharon Saare saddles and a McCall saddle. The saddle fitter told us a well fitting saddle only needs minimal protection.
Bhill
Reg. May 2013
Posted 2013-06-24 3:23 AM (#152908 - in reply to #152899)

Veteran

CSI Saddle Pads are some of the best made out there. Check them out!
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2013-07-04 8:51 PM (#153147 - in reply to #152883)

Expert

I can second the 5 star pad.  Have used em on rides that were pushing cattle for a week, most every day over 6 hours in the saddle, day after day.  They are very protective and non slipping.  I pressure wash mine when a curry scrubbing doesn't do enough.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)