'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Indiana State Parks - riding and camping

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2013-08-23 2:16 PM
5 replies, 5243 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Candy girl
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2013-06-24 2:34 PM (#152922)
Subject: Indiana State Parks - riding and camping

Veteran

Anybody have any thoughts about the riding or camping about Potato Creek State Park, Tippecanoe River State Park or Salamonie River State Forest in Indiana?

Just looking for leisurely riding for a couple days for hubby and me.  We stay and ride at Brown County State Park annually at Thanksgiving time.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
ClaudiaIN
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2013-07-03 8:51 AM (#153113 - in reply to #152922)
Subject: RE: Indiana State Parks - riding and camping

Veteran

We ride more south--

Midwest Trail Ride-- near Brown County--

Deams Lake in Borden , IN 

Candy girl
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2013-07-05 8:55 AM (#153155 - in reply to #152922)

Veteran

Claudia

What did you think about Deam Lake?  I've heard about it but don't know anyone who has been there.

kentuckyrain
Reg. Apr 2008
Posted 2013-08-21 9:20 PM (#154186 - in reply to #153155)

Nice camp grounds, fairly easy riding for the most part, beautiful forest and a lake. It's all good!

aceliberty
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2013-08-22 9:36 PM (#154211 - in reply to #154186)

Extreme Veteran

Will look into new spots to camp/ride in IN. Actually, we're heading to Midwest at Norman this Sunday for a few days of riding. We like the covered stalls.
Candy girl
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2013-08-23 2:16 PM (#154222 - in reply to #152922)

Veteran

Follow up:  We spent three days at Potato Creek State Park near South Bend, IN.  Had the whole campground to ourselves. 

CAMPGROUND:

Pros: Campground was very neat and tidy.  Restroom/shower house was cleaned daily.  There is a nice playground for kids.  Has a campground "host" who stays there.  Two trail heads right off the campground.  Day parking is just a short ride away also.  Online descriptions indicating sun/shade at each site are 100% correct.  Manure piles are well placed.

Cons:  Sites are a lot wider than they are deep.  My 39-foot trailer with ramp on back took up the entire pad.  While there was electric for every site available, you had better have a long extension cord.  The electrical boxes are placed every other site...and at the REAR of the sites. Our trailer's electrical cord (which comes out near the FRONT of the trailer) plus our 50-foot extension cord weren't long enough.  We were able to "rent" an additional extension cord (pay deposit, give credit card number....fully refunded when we returned it) from the gate house, but I can't believe they have enough for everyone.  I would much rather have a deeper site and not so wide.  We never leave the campgrounds and like to leave the truck hooked up to the trailer.  That wasn't an option as the truck was blocking the entire drive when hooked to the trailer.  There are water spigots but not enough for that that large campground, in my opinion.

TRAILS:  The trails are groomed, flat and easy...great for young horses too. Well marked.  Nice leisurely ride.  However, there is so much brush and vines beside the trails, you can't look out into the forest.  You really can't see more than a few feet off the trail.

All in all, we enjoyed our stay.  My favorite part was the family of wild turkeys who live in the trees just off the playground.  I loved watching them stroll around camp.  With that said, had it been a busy weekend, I probably wouldn't have seen them.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)