'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
First Post--bbsmfg3 please help

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2013-07-11 4:45 PM
4 replies, 4206 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

jn53rc
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2013-07-10 4:57 PM (#153279)
Subject: First Post--bbsmfg3 please help

New User

Been lurking & learning on this site for almost 10 years. Feel like I know some of you quite well. Your personalities manage to come through your writing after reading your posts for years. Always managed to find the info I needed without posing until now. Recent truck upgrade & attitude change (less work... more horse camping), lead me to look for more riding areas west of Custer State Park. When we saw Bob's photos of the Gallatin mountain range we started researching & knew we would have to ride there. Have a Gallatin Mtn. horse camp scouting-Glacier National Park trip coming up soon. Would really like to know where the campsite with the marked spring is. It looks perfect. Also wondering what time of year is best. Are bugs a problem at the wrong time of year? Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

jeff

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2013-07-10 6:59 PM (#153280 - in reply to #153279)
Subject: RE: First Post--bbsmfg3 please help

Expert

I think Bob is actually there right now.  He comes out for 3 weeks each July. So I wouldn't be offended if you didn't see a response from him for a few weeks.

One of his favorite spots is in Gallatin River Canyon Between Yellowstone Park Boundary and the turn off to Big Sky. There are only a couple of turns offs that you can take off the hiway. It shouldn't take very much exploring to find the one he uses.  It's basically Buffalo Horn Creek or Sage Creek.

As far as bugs, we just don't have the problems you folks do back east.  Yes there are mosquitos in June and deer flies in July and by August you are past the bugs but run into the monsoon season with afternoon thundershowers. So each month has it's pro's and cons. Based upon Bobs annual return trips, July must be working out for him. I usually wait until August to ride into Yellowstone, Snow melt is gone and the big rivers are easy to cross. And the Deer flies are not quite as bad as during July.

Edited by Painted Horse 2013-07-10 7:00 PM
jn53rc
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2013-07-10 10:05 PM (#153283 - in reply to #153279)

New User

Thanks Painted Horse. Armed with that info I have a place to start looking. The Gallatin Range looked pretty large to just go in blind.  
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2013-07-11 8:04 AM (#153289 - in reply to #153279)

Expert

If you pull up one of those roads and see a big green horse trailer, with a large water tank on top, That's Bob's rig.  Go over and say hi.

jn53rc
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2013-07-11 4:45 PM (#153300 - in reply to #153279)

New User

Will do.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'