'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
4STAR RUNABOUT

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2015-01-26 7:04 AM
34 replies, 21542 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

trailerconsult1
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2014-01-15 10:10 AM (#156934)
Subject: 4STAR RUNABOUT

Has anyone looked at the new 4Star Runabout trailer?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2014-01-15 10:43 PM (#156957 - in reply to #156934)
Subject: RE: 4STAR RUNABOUT

Expert

http://www.4startrailers.com/horse-trailers/bumper-pull-trailers/runabout-trailers/

If they reduced the weight of the trailer 700 LBS from their standard models, I would be curious what areas now have less metal and reinforcing. That is a large difference in weights for the same sized products.

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2014-01-16 4:19 AM (#156959 - in reply to #156934)

Expert

Looks like they are trying to stay in the game by building a middle of the line, lighter weight trailer...  Look at the differences in these two...

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/Home/trailerdetail.asp?ID=515978

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/Home/trailerdetail.asp?ID=491121

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2014-01-16 9:03 AM (#156964 - in reply to #156934)

Expert

I wonder if they will be verbally accosted for doing so, like Exiss has been with the "Sport" models ?
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2014-01-16 9:33 AM (#156965 - in reply to #156964)

Expert

Originally written by gard on 2014-01-16 9:03 AM

I wonder if they will be verbally accosted for doing so, like Exiss has been with the "Sport" models ?

LOL!! Probably... Trailer looks like someone was in the design and detail room from Shadow.

RustyScupper
Reg. Mar 2013
Posted 2014-01-16 11:44 AM (#156971 - in reply to #156934)

Veteran

I use to own a 4Star 2horse Runabout. I thought it was a nice trailer for the money. The windows and bars were not the highest quality but they made that trailer to be price competitive to other brands that have equal quality to that model.I replace it with a 3hrs Cimmarron.
trailerconsult1
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2014-01-16 11:54 AM (#156972 - in reply to #156934)

I like the Hart Medallion model for value, quality & price.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2014-01-16 2:39 PM (#156975 - in reply to #156934)

Expert

Is it being implied that 4 Star has down graded its product to "meet" the competition?
horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2014-01-16 2:57 PM (#156976 - in reply to #156934)

Elite Veteran

Or to meet what the market is asking for? The market is known for specifying a price first, then specs to follow.
RustyScupper
Reg. Mar 2013
Posted 2014-01-17 8:47 AM (#156985 - in reply to #156934)

Veteran

Gard-No I do not believe that 4Star is downgrading their product. If I had to make comparisons it would be like GM, they have Chevy, Buick, Cadillac. Why miss out on an "entry" level market as long as you don't sacrifice safety. Some people don't want all the bells and whistles.
trailerconsult1
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2014-01-17 11:40 AM (#156988 - in reply to #156934)

.............very much a downgrade

trailerguru
Reg. Jul 2010
Posted 2014-01-17 12:55 PM (#156990 - in reply to #156934)

What 4-Star has created is a way for the average buyer to be able to afford a well built trailer. They still build their deluxe models the same way or heavier than they did in the past. 4-Star and the Runabout model starts out with the same size top rail that is on their deluxe trailer, it starts out as a smooth skin trailer but you can have slats put on it as an option if desired just like their deluxe model. It has pre-made drop down doors standard (which has been used all over the trailer industry) but if you choose to do so you can add their deluxe built door that is on every other deluxe model as an option for added strength. The divider design changed for the Runabout but in changing the divider design they did not compromise its strength & integrity. You can still get the heavy divider standard in the deluxe trailer. The flooring is the same marine grade flooring they have always used which has proven to work for the long run. What people have to remember is not everyone can afford a brand name trailer as their 1st trailer. Especially if they are younger or just starting out. I think 4-Star's goal was to build a little less expensive trailer for a buyer that maybe is not on the level of their deluxe trailer. I have looked at many Runabout models in person and I am here to tell you that I would rather own a 4-Star Runabout model over 90% of the trailers that their competition is selling out on the market. They are not going to put their name on something and not stand behind it. I hope this helps with any doubts that anyone has about the 4-Star Runabout. It is still heavier in weight than any Exiss, Kiefer, Sundowner, Eclipse, Featherlite, Twi-lite and similar built trailer and it is priced along the same lines.
RustyScupper
Reg. Mar 2013
Posted 2014-01-17 1:27 PM (#156991 - in reply to #156934)

Veteran

Trailerguru - I think you summed it up best.The thing I liked about the runabout is that the divider folded flat when open and allowed you to shut the back doors. This made an "all purpose" trailer for us. Excellent to get hay in and the 4 wheeler fit.
trailerguru
Reg. Jul 2010
Posted 2014-01-17 2:23 PM (#156993 - in reply to #156934)

Thank you. Honestly there are so many trailer companies out there it can make a clients head spin trying to figure out which one is best. 4-Star builds a very nice trailer but I think a problem they ran into was the "price shopper" up until the Runabouts debut, could not get into a 4-Star Trailer. So that buyer was stuck with purchasing "brand x" which maybe would not last as long or have as good of a resale as a 4-Star. This trailer allows 4-Star dealers to get the chance to meet that 1st time buyer and sell them a quality trailer that will last long and have a good resale with out carrying a line of trailers that could potentially hurt their business name.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2014-01-17 11:33 PM (#157003 - in reply to #156934)

Expert

Well I'm going to rock the boat a little. For the record, we own a 4 Star, a Sidekick as well as the dreaded Exiss. Some recent comments seem overly gratuitous about the 4 Star, which I would like to address. Everyone wants to know what the BEST trailer is, and I have often answered that there isn't one, there are many depending upon your needs.

We have a 2H GN, SL, 4 Star, that is without cabinetry or bling. It is a bare trailer with no interior finishings in the dressing room. If I were to remove 700 #'s of metal from its structure, that would be close to ~20% of its empty weight. Where would this weight loss be realised? The walls, framework, under carriage, roof, flooring, furnishings, all of the above? If all the metal scantlings were reduced 20% in this trailer, I would not be loading any horses into that trailer and expect a safe travel. I could not do it.

Now we have some comments by an advocate of the Runabout: The divider design changed for the Runabout but in changing the divider design they did not compromise its strength & integrity.  The flooring is the same marine grade flooring they have always used which has proven to work for the long run. It is still heavier in weight than any Exiss, Kiefer, Sundowner, Eclipse, Featherlite, Twi-lite and similar built trailer and it is priced along the same lines.

The divider is locked by a sliding pin into the trailer's interior siding. Over time this pin loosens and wears an oblong hole into the receiving hole. When compared to the slam latches of say an Adam or Exiss, it is quite a let down.

The flooring is a sheet of aluminum, that over time stretches and allows ponding of urine to collect, where the horses feet are always located. The flooring has been known to oil can and pop at these points. Trailers with welded flooring planking, have a much more rigid surface with little or no deflection over its life span. Exiss and several other manufacturers use the planking construction. 4 Star's "marine grade" flooring is subject to the same corrosion and maintenance as most other aluminum trailers.

Our 4 Star trailer, proportionally, is NOT heavier than either our Exiss or Sidekick. If 700# were removed from its present weight, it would be even less of a direct comparison.

We bought our 4 Star because it is a very good trailer for our needs. It is well built, has the options we wanted and was found at a decent used price. If other brands were available under the same conditions, they would have been considered as well. My intent is not to flame 4 Star, but to rebut the claims that a specific brand, regardless of what it builds, is the best. When a manufacturer cuts the structural strength of its products, and then wants to sell a "deluxe" version that is equal to its original configuration, this is a step down in quality. A manufacturer should not use its well known name acquired from quality products, to suggest a lesser product is equal in value.

frenchboy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2014-01-19 5:44 PM (#157031 - in reply to #156934)

I went to the 4Star website and found the below statement about the Runabout series. I am not sure where 700 lbs. was claimed as a savings in weight and with several models there would of course be different weight savings for different models. Also I would have to allow a considerable weight savings on the smaller trailers offered in the Runabout series as the Deluxe versions of the same size are built with extrusions capable of carrying loads well in excess of 30,000 lbs. I would think the smaller trailers offered in the Runabout series have no need for this weight and added expense. I think a trip to 4 Stars website would answer many questions as they have an area dedicated to explaining the differences between all of their models. As far as "plank" floors are concerned I would not be able to say with certainty which design is best but I can say that I have never seen plank flooring used for anything more than removable flooring in semi livestock trailers. These trailers haul 50,000 lb. loads 24-7 and they use the same floor design that 4Star and many other high end manufacturers use. Is there a BEST? Of course there is and I would assume based on Gards advice it would be the company that has models and custom capabilities to " meet a persons needs at pricing they can afford." Given 4 Star's reputation I would not hesitate to haul any animal I own in any Runabout model they build. "The Runabout platform was conceived as a ground up design for an entry-level bumper pull trailer whose goal was to provide our customers a world class trailer which is durable and safe, yet several hundred pounds lighter than other similarly sized trailers. The Runabouts are limited to a maximum width of 6’-10” and 7000 pound axles. All models based on this platform are generously equipped with the features you need most. For those with special requirements, many of the options available on our Deluxe models may be specified should you choose to customize.Trailers based upon the Runabout platform are solid performers for those who wish to experience 4-Star quality in an economical design which lives up to what we've been saying for 3 decades: "Simply The Best Value."

Edited by frenchboy 2014-01-19 5:46 PM
trailerconsult1
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2014-01-20 8:11 AM (#157038 - in reply to #156934)

Amazing how they can tout best value for the past decade and just now coming out with a

"price leader"......makes you wonder what really is going on in their teams perception of the trailer business....

frenchboy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2014-01-20 8:40 AM (#157039 - in reply to #156934)

I think the Runabout must be cutting into Trailerconsult1's trailer sales.
Linda Y
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2014-01-20 9:24 AM (#157040 - in reply to #156934)

Extreme Veteran

I am in process of putting a little weekender into a 4 Star 2 horse GN. I must say this is a really nicely built trailer. Good heavy duty construction and really nice welds. I did notice when I pulled the carpet in the gooseneck that there is the stretched aluminum that gard spoke of.
trailerguru
Reg. Jul 2010
Posted 2014-01-20 1:03 PM (#157042 - in reply to #156934)

I personally am not afraid to admit that I am a dealer for trailers. We started our company in 1968 and have seen many trailer brands come and go over time. I have sold many 4-Star trailers & still do. One thing you quickly realize in this business is which brand is going to hold up and which brand is not! There is a place for other manufactures in this business, just not on my lot because I do not sell anything that I would not personally buy. Lets go back to the top question.. One thing I want to make really clear is anyone can build a horse trailer, but as a dealer you start to see a trend over the years of companies who think they can build a trailer. Then they sell out because it turns out they can't build one properly and their warranties exceed their company net worth. This has happened multiple times and I do not think there is a need to name those companies. The original questions where about the Runabout Trailer, and I am here to tell you we have sold many of them and they are a great trailer. Not one has had a problem and if anyone in this forum bought one and you have a problem then lets get it fixed NOW. PM me. Otherwise I do not think there is a need for anyone to talk uneducated about a trailer they have never had. Folks lets face it, your trailer is only as good as the dealer that you bought it from.
trailerconsult1
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2014-01-20 1:19 PM (#157043 - in reply to #156934)

Very well said trailerguru......@frenchboy.....not a dealer
Kay
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2014-01-20 3:30 PM (#157044 - in reply to #156934)

Extreme Veteran

Methinks that trailerconsult1 is a 4-Star rep. That is fine, actually great, just identify yourself so that we know you are speaking with authority and knowledge. Your pronouns gave you away ("our") You have a good product. Stand up and claim it.
trailerconsult1
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2014-01-20 4:55 PM (#157045 - in reply to #156934)

@ Kay - aren't you referring to Frenchboy?  Actually, re-read his earlier post.....he took that info off of 4Stars site....
Kay
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2014-01-21 9:10 AM (#157064 - in reply to #156934)

Extreme Veteran

Sorry, you are right. I was referring to the post by frenchboy. If he is not a 4-Star rep, he just was directly quoting from their web site. I know that the trailer manufacturers monitor this forum. Let's hear from 4-Star with their thoughts concerning this model. We all know that price point has become a big thing in our industry, but unfortunately our customers have a difficult time accepting that something has to give to accomplish a lower price. In the interest of transparency and the direction that I come from, I am a dealer.

Edited by Kay 2014-01-21 9:12 AM
trailerconsult1
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2014-01-21 9:20 AM (#157067 - in reply to #156934)

@ Kay,

Aren't you a HART dealer?

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'