'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Riding in the Hill Country in Texas

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2015-11-03 4:46 AM
9 replies, 5197 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

cajunmuleman
Reg. Oct 2011
Posted 2015-10-25 5:04 PM (#165184)
Subject: Riding in the Hill Country in Texas

Elite Veteran

I am looking for recommendations on places to do a week of riding in Texas Hill Country, any suggestions would be appreciated. This would be for spring 2016. We would like something with challenging trails and camping
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Remington77
Reg. Nov 2011
Posted 2015-10-26 4:30 PM (#165193 - in reply to #165184)
Subject: RE: Riding in the Hill Country in Texas

Regular

don't think this is considered "hill country" but we are planning a trip next year to Pole Canyon Ranch, Caprock State Park , and Palo Duro Canyon. All are south of Amarillo ,which is where the AQHA museum is located. Web has some info on all these places. Have not been to Texas before so looking forward to it. Probably didn't spell the names correctly but you can find them if you are interested.
mulerider01
Reg. Aug 2012
Posted 2015-10-26 4:55 PM (#165195 - in reply to #165184)

Regular

Hill Country Natural Area at Bandera,TX is where we ride in the winter,west of San Antone 40 miles, it's got a web site and fb page.
cajunmuleman
Reg. Oct 2011
Posted 2015-10-26 5:35 PM (#165197 - in reply to #165184)

Elite Veteran

Mule01 doesn't it show only about 40 miles of trails? Can you tell me how challenging it is? Thanks
mulerider01
Reg. Aug 2012
Posted 2015-10-26 7:42 PM (#165201 - in reply to #165184)

Regular

It doesn't compare to the challenging here in the Ozarks but I have rode all over tx and find this to be best that I like down there, there is a weeks worth depending on how hard and long you ride,and Bandera,Tx is a complete world of it's own and something always going on there,horses are rode all over town on a daily basis ,as you have found Tx has very little public land,you can go down in Big Bend country as I have rode it also but not very challenging but id you got much age on ya ,it will run ya on out,look up Ljitas ,Tx , BUT it's a loooooooooooong way down there...........if your in our neighbor hood stop by,my wife got lots of albums on ridin Tx we have done....
bloodtrail
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2015-10-28 2:44 PM (#165220 - in reply to #165184)

Regular

Haaay Cajunmuleman,  Bandera is fun place to ride.  You will have great, long distance views of the Hill Country.  No electric unless you have a big enough group to reserve the area that has electric.  Worst thing we hated about this area is if it rains the soil there will compact in your mule's hooves as hard as cement.  Dogs will get it between their toes and in their toe nails.

Someone else mentioned Pole Canyon Ranch.  Now there is some Purdy scenery to ride with the tall, red sandstone bluffs!  Its a bit pricey but we thought it was worth it.  Plus they charge a per day per rider ranch use fee to ride.  The camping spots have water and electric but no shade.  There is a house that a group can rent that would have its own separate bathroom, which reminds me to tell you that the campers (if you don't have toilet facility in your trailer) all share a single bathroom attached to the outside of the house.  Again, we would go again as we loved it.  We also rode Cap Rock for one day on our way back home from Pole Canyon.  No electric at Cap Rock but I've heard if the campground is not full ranger doesn't mind if you run a generator at nite.

Just my 2 cents.

Mary

cajunmuleman
Reg. Oct 2011
Posted 2015-11-01 3:08 PM (#165251 - in reply to #165184)

Elite Veteran

Miss Mary, where did y'all stay at Bandera?
bloodtrail
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2015-11-02 7:07 AM (#165259 - in reply to #165184)

Regular

Cajunmuleman,

We stayed at the Hill Country State Natural Park, Chapa Group Camp.  10 acre shaded area, 12 stall barn with electricity, water for horses, vault toilet.  Reservations required.  (512)389-8900.  For info (830)796-4413.  The other mule campground is the Trailhead Campground, 6 primitive sites but has water for the mules.  2-40' pull through and 4-40' back ins, vault toilet.

Website says 40 miles of trails, but ride backwards and get 80 miles and then do assorted loops to change things up.  Terrain ranges from flat, broad creek bottoms to steep, rocky canyons up to 2,000' elevation.  Bring people water for both campgrounds!!

Both have picnic tables and fire rings.  At Chapa's, we had the whole camp reserved and most of us used electric portable pens for our mules.  The shaded area at Chapas is around the barn.  There is also a big building where you can set up all your cooking gear.  There was tables when we went, don't know if someone from the group that lived nearby brought them or if you can get them at the park.

10600 Bandera Creek Road, Bandera, TX

There is also a group lodge available for mule or non-mule use and will sleep 12 - 4 bedrooms, 1-1/2 bathrooms, kitchen and seating for 12.  Central heat/air, 2 pens and corrals for mules.  Towels, bed linens and cooking utensils not furnished.  May use the mule arena in addition to the group lodge rental.

You could also stay at Twin Elm but would have to trailer to the Park.

Have fun and let us know what you think when you get back!

Mary

mulerider01
Reg. Aug 2012
Posted 2015-11-02 3:28 PM (#165271 - in reply to #165184)

Regular

Mary you can also camp at Chapas with electric and the stalls for $25 per night as long as a group doesn't have it reserved .....
bloodtrail
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2015-11-03 4:46 AM (#165277 - in reply to #165184)

Regular

Thanks for that info Rick, did not know you could rent a site at Chapa and not be in a group. Been several years since Johnny & I were there and I was under the impression it was only for groups!Cajunmuleman, you need to check out Rick & Mary's Huckleberry Stables in Pineville, MO for some great riding. Nice small campground, what Rick....3 cabins or 4? and the best hosts ever! Rick rides nearly every day so you can go with him or go out on your own. Nice shower house, each side has 2 showers and 2 toilets. We try to go every April for a group mule ride.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)