'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Need info on Texas horse camps

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2016-01-15 7:19 AM
6 replies, 4687 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Remington77
Reg. Nov 2011
Posted 2015-12-31 8:55 AM (#165700)
Subject: Need info on Texas horse camps

Regular

wife and I are planning a trip to Texas this spring and would appreciate any info you would be willing to share on these three places. Pole Canyon Ranch, Caprock Canyon State Park, and Palo Duro Canyon State Park. We have researched these places on the internet but would appreciate your first hand knowledge . thank you
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2015-12-31 8:57 AM (#165702 - in reply to #165700)
Subject: RE: Need info on Texas horse camps

Elite Veteran

We love Caprock Canyon and Palo Duro Canyon.... primitive camping, great riding! Palo Duro is a spiritual experience... check the history.
Remington77
Reg. Nov 2011
Posted 2015-12-31 12:28 PM (#165709 - in reply to #165700)

Regular

thanks for the reply calamity. Are these places where we have to stay on the marked trails or can we ride cross country. Also, many of the reviews talk about thorns. Will I need to protect the horses legs from the thorns?
rhooton
Reg. Dec 2013
Posted 2016-01-01 1:29 PM (#165716 - in reply to #165700)

Regular

Remington, The wife and I stayed at Caprock Canyon twice last summer. We laid over there one night on our way to New Mexico to ride, liked it so well we came back a day early to stay over and ride there for a day. If you shoot me a private message with email address I will forward some pictures of the ride. Also, keep us posted on when you're headed there, we might just meet you out there for a ride.
jayhawk
Reg. Jun 2013
Posted 2016-01-13 6:29 AM (#165788 - in reply to #165700)

We spend Thanksgiving in the Palo Duro Canyon as we have family in the area. Love camping there it is beautiful. The only thing I don't like about Palo Duro is the drive in and out of the Canyon. It's a little steep but can be done quite easily with a powerful truck. WE have a living quarters trailer and pull it with a 2012 one ton and don't have any difficulty but have seen trucks get heated up getting out of the canyon. Enjoy your trip.
Remington77
Reg. Nov 2011
Posted 2016-01-13 7:28 AM (#165789 - in reply to #165700)

Regular

thanks for that information. We have a heavy 3 horse gooseneck w/living quarters and pull it with 1 ton chevy dually. I just recently learned how to efficiently use the Allison transmission to keep the engine from overheating when going uphill and wearing out brakes going downhill. Really made a difference. Again ,thanks for the heads up.We have tried to get as much info on Palo Duro, Caprock Canyon , and Pole Canyon Ranch as we can before the trip. To be honest , most people tell us that Palo Duro Canyon is beautiful but does not have a lot of trails for horses. Based on that, we are not sure how long we intend to stay there. Right now our plans are to take a day trip [ with the truck ] from Pole Canyon Ranch up to Palo Duro Canyon to just check it out . In your opinion, is it a good place to spend a few days with the horses?appreciate your advice
bloodtrail
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2016-01-15 7:19 AM (#165806 - in reply to #165700)

Regular

A couple of years ago hubby & I camped at Pole Canyon Ranch.  A little pricey plus they charge a ranch use fee every day that you ride.  However, it is Gorgeous there!  A couple of other drawbacks is the pens and trailer sites do not have shade and when the wind blows nothing stops it.  If you get the pens next to the pasture you can just chunk your mule's poop, err horse's poop, over the fence.  If you get the pens by the driveway you will have to wheelbarrow it to the pasture to dump.  Other drawback if your trailer is not full blown LQ, then you share an outside access bathroom with everyone else.  The ranch house can be rented and has a private bathroom.

When we left to go home we stopped at Cap Rock for a day ride.  More pretty scenery but you will be sharing the trails with hikers and bikers.

Both places there really is no need to get off the trails to enjoy yourselves!

Mary

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)