'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
how do i find the specs when there is no plate to be found?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2016-10-15 12:01 AM
2 replies, 5087 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

aliceo
Reg. Oct 2015
Posted 2016-10-09 1:38 AM (#168586)
Subject: how do i find the specs when there is no plate to be found?

I've found a 1999 Trails West Classic 2 two-horse bumper pull with both a dressing room and a side tack room for sale. The trailer is about 17' long.

I drive a 2004 Chevy 2500HD LT.

I cannot find a plate on the trailer anywhere to tell me what the GVW and the axles are.

I have looked on NADA and the Trails West web site and can't find the info there, either.

Does anyone here know how to find the specs on this trailer?
Or, does anyone here know if I can tow this trailer safely with the truck I have?

I live in the mountains and drive very rough forest service roads for very long distances. I've been towing a 1979 Circle J 2 horse straight load with mangers. It's been a tough little trailer but my trailer guy says at its age, it could fail at any time.

Additionally, any opinions on the Trails West, this year/make/model? I generally just haul one horse. I'm a little concerned about the extra length, which is really only there so that I can have a barn on wheels. The more maneuverable my rig is on back roads, the better. I don't really need both a tack room and a dressing room--just one would be plenty. But it hasn't been easy finding a good used trailer in my area, and since I don't have a barn, I certainly could use the room.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
aliceo
Reg. Oct 2015
Posted 2016-10-10 3:27 PM (#168603 - in reply to #168586)
Subject: RE: how do i find the specs when there is no plate to be found?

85 views and no answers? wow.

anyway, i got the specs directly from the trails west office.

i found out that my 2004 silverado LT 2500HD can handle the trailer, but i have a couple of concerns.

first of all, the trailer, though a two-horse, is as long as a three-horse (17-ft floor) because of the large dressing room plus the side tack room.

it would be wonderful to have all that storage room, but the GVWR is only 8000 lbs, and the curb weight is 4200, so it's not like i really need all that room.

i mostly haul on super bad, cratered, bouldered forest service roads that are one lane and while i try to make sure ahead of time that there is a place to turn around, i could conceivably get into a difficult situation to maneuver.

i'm wondering if this size trailer really shouldn't be a gooseneck instead of a bp.

also, if it wouldn't be smarter to get a significantly shorter trailer just to save on wear and tear on my truck. (i want to keep this truck forever--it has quadrasteer).

i have one horse, one saddle, one bridle, camping gear weighing about 100 lbs, and miscellaneous supplies like grooming, blanket, etc.

i'm guessing my GVW will end up being around 5,500 lbs.

anyone have this trailer and can offer some thoughts?
HOUSE
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2016-10-15 12:01 AM (#168634 - in reply to #168586)
Subject: RE: how do i find the specs when there is no plate to be found?

Veteran

Glad you figured it out, the easiest way is to look at the axles, I always do this as many trailer manufactures are all over the place with their weight ratings.

if it has 5 lugs it will be a 15 inch tire (225 or 235) you want the 235 as this will give you 3500 lbs per axle and have an 8 inch brake.
if it is 6 lug it could be either a 3500 lbs alxe if it is a 15 inch wheel with a 8 inch brake or a 5200 axle with a 16 inch wheels and a 10 inch brake
8 lug axles(with lug centric hubs like a dodge or chevy) will all have a 16 inch or bigger rim and can be either a 5200 lbs with an 10 inch brake or a 7500 with a 12 inch brake  
8 lug axles with hub centric wheels (they have a little washer that lets the wheel move under the lug when tightened like all 99 and up fords) will have at 17.5 wheel and a 12 inch drum brake or discs these will be 8000 10,000 or 12000lbs.

These are just guidelines but they are pretty accurate, you have to remember that there is currently only one major axle manufacturer at this time, dexter, they aquired hayes about a decade ago, so they have standardized quite a bit.  there are also some chinese axles but most of them are in the 3500 and under catergory.  

there are several reasons why trailer manufacturers numbers dont match what  i mentioned above, the first is that if you have a bumper pull trailer with over a 9,999 lbs gvwr you need a class A, that is why you see alot of trailers with 16 inch wheels with a 9,999 GVWR just to keep you out of the CDL reqirement.  secondly manufactures can use almost any number they want for tongue weight, you see 10% thrown around for a Bumper pull alot but the states dont mandate that number, so you could see a trailer with 2 3,500 lbs axles with a 10,000 GVWR, because the manufacturer assumes a very hight tongue weight.  finally the manufacturer is supposed to rate the trailer for the lowest rated piece of the trailer, you see this alot with 15 inch tires when they use 225/75R15 tires on a trailer even though the axle beams are rated at 3500 each the entire trailer will only be rated for a GVWR of 7000lbs.

on a total seperate note you should have a vin plate with the vin number that has the axle weight ratings as well.  on a lot of the newer trailers these are just stickers that do not age well.  I hope this helps answer your quesiton, sorry it was long winded

Edited by HOUSE 2016-10-15 12:04 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)